What's the largest city you grew?

After reading this thread most of the people i swą were struggling to get 30 pop! I have resently reached my record at 51 pop in Instanbul, it may seem unreal, theefore i will post a pic soon, it was round turn 312 or so, i dont know how i did it, i got a science victory, wich was not very hard with so much pop.:goodjob::king:

After reading this thread most of the people i swą were struggling to get 30 pop! I have resently reached my record at 51 pop in Instanbul, it may seem unreal, theefore i will post a pic soon, it was round turn 312 or so, i dont know how i did it, i got a science victory, wich was not very hard with so much pop.:goodjob::king:

This thread suffers because it started back in the days of Vanilla. The inclusion of G&K didn't really matter either (except for Dutch if they win the ploder jackpot near their capital), but BNW food cargo ships changed everything.

Spoiler :

Had a nice game going with the Dutch... only 11 polders. Highest I've ever had without internal trade routes.

i got mine to 47, but i was having a great game a mighty Russia , lol

Attachments

• 2016-02-13_00001.jpg
    2016-02-13_00001.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 464
I once got around 90 in a modded game (Superpower Complete) :lol: it's been a while since I've played a normal game though so idk probably around 15-20

Superpower complete I had 3 around 80-100 and two around 30. Unmodded I've only ever had around 30-40, Aztecs plus ToA plus swords into plow shares plus internal trade routes plus HG plus fertility rites

The largest city, in theory, is pop 329. That requires the city to be surrounded by wheat / river hexes except 3 coastal with fish hexes that give ocean access. Requires Venice, with 20 trade routes from puppet cities sending food plus 21 Maritime city state allies (it so happens that there are 21 possible Maritime CS in BNW). It also requires all the possible beliefs, policies, wonders, buildings, etc that provide additional food. The trade routes are the biggest factor. Such a map would not be created by the game, you'd have to edit it obviously. But as I said, in theory...

I grew Venice to pop 101 on a real map as a test on Settler difficulty, and had enough surplus food that the city would have maxed out at 150 or so but it was too boring to keep going.

In real games on higher difficulties (Emperor and up) the biggest ones I've seen are usually around 40.

Interesting. Does this factor in the bonus from Iron Curtain or the one from Civil Society because you can't have both? Order also gives food from party leadership, but since it is only one it may not have an effect. You can also get 2 pantheons with Religious tolerance so you can get both Sun God and Fertility Rites.

Iron Curtain > Civil Society (civil society doesn't apply to unemployed pop)

Also only Sun God helps the max... Fertility just gets you there faster.

Although by my calcs it should be 334.

Krikkit; I think you're right; I counted the Maritime CS in the Civ 5 wiki but that list includes CS that are civs in BNW.

Curious how you get to your 334 total.

Terrain=250 (Sun God, granary bonus included)
Wheat.7x33=231
Fish.3x5=15
City tile (Citrus/Deer) grassland=4

Wonders-6 (hanging gardens)
Buildings-11 (feed the world, hospital, water mill, granary)
Social policies-3 (landed elite, party leaders)
Misc=20

CS-3x14=42

Base food=312
Temple of Artemis (10%)-31.2
343.2 food

Trade routes 20x16.3 (Iron curtain)=326

Total food-669.2
/2

334.6 Pop (no fractions)

Of course it would take 10,000+ maybe even 100,000 turns to get there (to test, best to make a scenario and start Venice with 600 or so and see when it stops starving)

Our calcs are the same, but I don't have all the DLC so no Temple of Artemis. Also, my number should be 318 after reducing the number of Maritime CS to 14.

Doubt I'll bother testing it; I have faith in math. Would be a kick to see that screen shot though.

Thanks.

26 I think. It was a Babylon god city on a floodplain river with lots of academys and stone circle quarrys. One of the luckiest starts ever because I was peacefully at 5 decent cities with mountain ranges severely restricting invasion. :)

My highest population city was as Venice I managed to focus really heavily on food and got a 51 pop city by the time I won... Granted this was only on Emperor.

What about very heavily modified map with Spain? 33 Lake Victorias and 3 tiles of fish for trade routes? And settled on Wheat of course. Whats maximum then?

Venice 80 pop on my latest immortal domination

Spoiler :

200+ food surplus the last 100 or so turns

Could prob grow at least 50 more before turn 500

In a Domination only game I had with India i got to 73 in Dehli by round 600, I had rivers, wheat and Cattle all over it. ON a normal game I've gotten to about 40 as Songhai on a ynaemp TSL map, where Gao was in a stream of Wheat and floodplains. The sickest I've seen for a growth city is this however
Spoiler :

Top Bottom