SGOTM 09 - Murky Waters

Okay, settle and research agri.
For the further development, we have to think again (especially wrt where we want to settle). We might be better of with another worker at size 2 and settler at size 3 only.

Onward to Agriculture!

I have paused again. Lots of news from T3. Ice cuts off our galleys to the off-shore barb city to the SE. I have posted a screenshot because I'm trying to decide whether to scout SE pronto for our Agri decision, or just clean up the scouting to the west , then south. Hills and forest will make it slow-going for the scout. RSVP.

Interesting!

I suggest moving the scout SW and reveal more of the further tiles, since next expansion will reveal the close tiles anyway. Then the scout can turn S-SE in a wider hoop.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be suitable to build a second worker at once, and the library before the settler?

Looks good so far!

I agree with Erkon, to a point. Moving SE immediately will reveal tiles that will be revealed anyway by border expansion.

However, I think that you should prioritise scouting the area south of the mountains, because we are more likely to want to settle there soon than in the tundra.

Also, take a look at the domination population percentage. This should hopefully tell us how many barbarian cities there are. (I think this means barbs will appear earlier and enter borders earlier)

Where is the freekin save!?!?!? :eek:

EDIT:

Hmm, I wonder if it would be suitable to build a second worker at once, and the library before the settler?

No, warrior first (until pop2) gives the library one turn earlier, and almost one warrior extra.

No. You can only paradrop to tiles that are visible*. It's not even enough that they are revealed.

* Either visible from our borders, or by a nearby unit, or after airship recon mission

Or after the previous Parachuter has landed on the outmost hill.

Our scout can now map out the whole map in EW direction, 7 tiles N and about 27 tiles S... :eek:

So we have 6 rivals left :). And the maximum power of rivals is 7 greater than the minimum. Looks like Gyathaar has given an extra archer to one civ. I think we have a neighbor :lol:.
Edit: And that neighbor has TW but not mining, so is not Mansa.
If Gyathaar gave him an extra archer, then it is Genghis Khan, but another possibility is that it's Hammurabi and Gyathaar didn't give anyone any extra units and we don't know if that guy's a neighbor.

Hey, this is fun. From the land stats, we know that at least 3, but probably 4, AI capitals are landlocked. One is probably coastal and maybe 1 or 2 more.

I'd like to continue playing tomorrow morning. Any more feedback on what to do with the scout? So far, only Erkon and ZPV have piped up. Erkon goes wide, ZPV mostly to the south, and I'm tempted to forget the west and find out what is SE asap. I'd like to gather as much info in the next 3t as possible, so we can decide what tech is next and how we want to REX. Or do we already know enough? Animals will start appearing soon also, for what it's worth.

I'd like to continue playing tomorrow morning. Any more feedback on what to do with the scout? So far, only Erkon and ZPV have piped up. Erkon goes wide, ZPV mostly to the south, and I'm tempted to forget the west and find out what is SE asap. I'd like to gather as much info in the next 3t as possible, so we can decide what tech is next and how we want to REX. Or do we already know enough? Animals will start appearing soon also, for what it's worth.

We can learn much more from mapping out the fog than what the scout can learn in a few turns. The question is really: do we want to use this 'feature' or not? If the answer is yes then we should do it now before moving the scout.

We can learn much more from mapping out the fog than what the scout can learn in a few turns. The question is really: do we want to use this 'feature' or not? If the answer is yes then we should do it now before moving the scout.
What do we learn from mapping the fog that influences scouting?
We know already there is quite a bit of land. But we haven't found any good site to settle a second (or third) city. I'm for swinging back SE to find possible city locations.
If we want to establish the exact size of all continents and islands is another question.

Okay, guys, thanks for the comments. It's a quandary. I normally like to thoroughly scout an area, rather than stopping 1 tile short of marble or whatever, but in this case, I think if we're going to commit ourselves to a REX strategy, then we're most concerned with southern expansion. Our next border expansion will only expose one more layer of tiles. Probably not enough and anyway too late, imo. Moving the scout SE immediately corresponds to my original plan (but I was hoping to make it to the west coast without getting stuck in the woods) and will get him to that lush-looking site south of the mountains by the time the worker is done. Then we can decide if we want a warrior to protect a roading worker, or another worker, or the settler immediately.

It also may help us decide whether there's something better to research next than The Wheel, my current first choice.

Also strikes me as a bit of a waste of our scout's 2 movements, snowshoeing through this hilly, woodsy, arctic tundra. A warrior can do it just as quickly. I'd also like to get the scout out of the woods before any bears spawn, although there'll be panthers down in the jungle. A scout often has a limited window of opportunity to explore. We need to make the most of it.

So contrary to my normal style and some of your wishes, I've decided to scout due SE next. I don't even want to risk going S-SE because I might lose another turn trudging through woods. Plank me it turns out to be a blunder... ;)

Continuing...

Agri researched, marble located, plus some cattle, grapevines, and lots of crappy land. Time to decide on next research. I vote for The Wheel, which will speed up our REX more than other other single tech, imo.

Nice play, LC :goodjob:

Regarding REX: the challenge is not to churn out as many settler-worker pairs as possible, the challenge is to pay the maintenance until the cities contribute to our economy, and still run a reasonable research. In this viewpoint, an academy will enable us to run at ~30% lower research rate, and bureaucracy gives another ~20% cut i.e. we can run at 40% research and still progress as if running 90% without academy+bureaucracy.

Which means that going the AH-writing path to get an early library/academy, and then go wheel/masonry/myst/med/ph => CoL/math will enable us to settle perhaps another ~nine cities instead of ~six.

We can hand build the Oracle in the second city with marble (15 turns), while the capital builds settlers.

Top Bottom