How often do you actually lose on higher difficulty levels?

libfud

Chieftain
I managed to get an actually relatively comfortable (well, after the anxious beginning and horrible middle) win on my first Immortal game, but I'm wondering now if it was because of luck and my choice of Civ, since I was Korea and started with a lot of salt and had a mountain with even more salt and some wheat around for my second (and only other city for which I actually built the settler, with a long river that ran between the two cities. If I had gotten, say, a jungle start with jungle plantation resources and a Civ like, say, Hiawatha, would I have probably failed at my first Immortal attempt? I'm still a bit wiped out from that game to start another Immortal or try out Deity right now, but I'm definitely going to try again in the future. For now I just want to get a feeling for how often people win and lose on Emperor/Immortal/Deity.

Well, I'm fairly adept at winning Deity, after which Immortal feels like a couple steps below. The difference between Emperor and Immortal is certainly smaller than Immortal and Deity.

My point is, if you jump in the deep end (go Deity), then after a while, Immortal shouldn't feel like much hassle

I play Immortal and I've won about 2/3's of my games with some very close losses (one lost by 4 turns, another lost by a single turn).

Playing as Korea, which is IMHO the best civ in the game, most certainly would help you win your first game on a new difficulty setting. My advice would be to not make a jump to Deity after only a single win on Immortal, but that's me. Maybe try another tailored civ for a different VC? Such as France for a CV, or Venice for DP?

I play Immortal as well, and I'd say the same as darkmark77--about 2/3rds of them. But there are times when I don't even finish a game--either because of rage quit or getting bored. I always play on epic speed, so sometimes things get tedious and I lose interest. Of course, one game can take three or four days to play through (I only play a few hours a night).

I'm playing a game now as Poland (currently 1320 AD). But I'm kicking butt. I've got a ton of salt (at least four salt for each of my three cities). Usually I try not to wonder whore on Emperor (I'm trying to kick the habit), but with so much salt and production, I'd be crazy not to.

So I'm running away with the game. And I can't see how I can lose. So it's possible I may quit when the outcome is pretty certain.

I can win 100% on Immortal if I apply myself, and around 80% on Deity without reloads. The reason I cannot win 100% on Deity is because often, I get myself into situations where the only way to win is to turtle and win an SV, and I most often cba to do that. If I finished SVs just to win, my win percentage would go up to around 95%.

I just started trying Immortal myself.

This is a great question since I just lost twice trying Brazil. I can't seem to get close to a Culture win. There is always one civ with a ton of culture and just runs away.

Speaking of reloads, I actually almost didn't win the game because it kept crashing everytime Theodora completed the Manhattan project. So at one point I reorganized my units a few turns before she completed it on her border and bought a second nuke in that city, and then it crashed on that turn instead. So I wound up having to reload from an autosave a few turns prior, launch my nuke, then blitzed her with my rocket artillery and mech. infantry until she surrendered. Funnily enough, the turn before I completed my last spaceship part (in Constantinople, the city from which I launched my first nuke at her), she completed the Manhattan Project, but there was no crash that time.

I win most of the Immortal games I have been playing BUT I often have to reload during the early part of the game to 'win' the 'stake your claim' phase of the game. If I can get my 2-4 nice cities setup, it's often a really close struggle, but I generally prevail. That is why I like Immortal so much as it always throws yet another challenge at you and you can rarely walk away with it. I think Continents helps with that a lot also.

I was thinking of starting a similar thread about how often people either reload in the early game or just abandon the game and start over. I tend to get attached to the land and want to see my ideal cities setup and given a chance to thrive. I play on quick which I think makes the first 50 turns very dynamic and critical to the rest of the game. Being in the right place at the right time seems so difficult and it feels like you have to get really lucky to get a good start.

I like test-driving new mods on Prince and King; this week, I'm trying out the "Barbarian Lands" mod, and so far, I'm 1 for 3 with raging barbs ...

Don't play Deity yet, in fact with me I play for a few weeks (a lot of time though) and then leave for like a month or more so whenever I come back I'm always rusty. I play Immortal only and I'd say I win almost all the time which is only a few wins since I often will quit a game half ways through if I'm just not enjoying that much or have a desire to play a different civ often those quits I'm not doing bad either and quite a few of them I was in the lead

The ones I do lose are too a run away civ most often or a Juggernaut like Rome. I can only recall one time where you could say I was truly defeated and that was Rome decimating me as Byzantium, all my lands where quite flat and ripe for invasion and he had me out numbered about 6-1, I out up a good fight but he took two cities and I called it quits.

Well, I'm 2 for 2 now on Immortal, and this one was significantly easier. Played as the Inca this time, again on Pangaea. I think what helped me a lot this time was not having such a crowded start, which let me expand as I normally would, winding up with 4 excellent cities. I only started two wars in this game, and had none declared against me, eventually winning cultural since that seems to be able to be doable much quicker than scientific. Thinking I might want to go for Deity pretty soon.

After countless hours playing the game I win all Immortal games and most Deity ones. Since I play very specifically and only use pre-modern era Domination strategies, not all maps are doable on Deity, at least not for me. The Carthage DCL #29 is a good example of this, I haven't managed to crack it yet.

I drop out of games I can win if its going to take 300 to 400 turns.

I would say 100% but I drop out of so many games because I can look up a VC so early and the game can get really boring with or without war.

Oddly enough, war bores me as well. I had a dom game where I had taken out 3 of 8 AI's by the time the WC was founded and it just got boring for me, too many units, too much micromanagement, I just quit the game and wanted to do something else.

But of the games I say I actually would've won had I finished them, it's probably closer to 90%. But that's only on Emperor, I plan on trying to legitimately try and play Immortal from here on out.

@budweiser/DScruggy729: I used to quit every game prematurely when a win was certain or I got bored. The Immortal and Deity challenges on this site cured me of that, as I have the desire to finish when there's something to aim for and I can post a writeup.

I just quit a game on around turn 10. Neighbors were Zulus, Assyria, and the Huns. I figured why bother.

I would say 100% but I drop out of so many games because I can look up a VC so early and the game can get really boring with or without war.

Oddly enough, war bores me as well. I had a dom game where I had taken out 3 of 8 AI's by the time the WC was founded and it just got boring for me, too many units, too much micromanagement, I just quit the game and wanted to do something else.

But of the games I say I actually would've won had I finished them, it's probably closer to 90%. But that's only on Emperor, I plan on trying to legitimately try and play Immortal from here on out.

I also found it increasingly boring until I tried that first Immortal game. Boy was that a shocker, it can actually get really exciting, especially when you're actually getting your butt handed to you're in a stalemate on a 3 front defensive war at sea and land.

Top Bottom