Generic complaints

ronjon

Warlord
BNW has improved Civ 5 enough so I am back playing regularly. However I have a few issues that I am surprised were not addressed, and maybe can be through patches. First diplomacy. Not the system which is irredeemable and would probably take too much effort to fix, but the damn screens that interrupt your turns. Shouldn't there be an option to disable those. Second, ancient era units are too expensive and on marathon take too long to make and cost too much in maintenance, making wars unlikelier than they already are, and an option for un-nerfed barbarians should be available. My second complaint can be fixed with a mod, I personally have no ability to do this, and cannot find such mods. Thirdly, AI civs give up their cities too damn easily in negotiations. Often when I declare war it is just too get along with a friendly civ, and the opponent whom I have never sent troops against offers a city for peace. Seems like this should be an easy fix. Lastly why the coal scarcity. I have the editor so it is not a huge problem but it is more fun discovering it and less so cheating. I always have the biggest nation by industrial and rarely have coal in my borders. coal is no a scarce resource, unlike salt which is as hard to find in reality as it is in the game(sarcasm). Otherwise, happy about the expansion, thanks firaxis.

Also on strictly domination the
AI hardly builds cities despite the abundance of great city building territory

1) What? Diplomacy screens don't pop on your turn (expect a few situations, like declaring war or using General to claim other's land); they pop on AI:s turn for you. So you're basically hoping to get rid of AI interaction with you during their own turns?

2) Everything takes so damn long in marathon. Don't play it then. I had a same problem; I wanted longer eras but normal production times. I'd recommend you to get two mods: Infinite Empires (for nerfing tech cost of new cities) and Extended Eras (or something like that). Extended Eras makes technology costs like epic/marathon, but keeps all production as standard. Ancient units are also realistically expensive - there wasn't great wars in ancient, only smaller scale wars. The most of the warfare takes place after renessaince, so peaceful ancient era isn't problem for me.

3) I agree. It is just plainly stupid. Sometimes AI:s are very stubborn to start negotations - sometimes, when you don't even fight with them, they'll give you cities. Honestly it isn't much a problem, since you can always refuse.

4) Coal is weirdly rare, yeah. However it doesen't bother much since basically every city-state has a coal. You need it only for building factories and for ironclads. There isn't even a penalty for running factories without coal, is there?

1) What? Diplomacy screens don't pop on your turn (expect a few situations, like declaring war or using General to claim other's land); they pop on AI:s turn for you. So you're basically hoping to get rid of AI interaction with you during their own turns?
Elizabeth said:
"I see you get along swell with Napoleon. I do, too. High-five!"
... Have you ever played a map with 22 (or, God forbid, 43!) civs on it? This nonsense needs to stop and the sooner it does the better. These kinds of announcements could be handled easily with notifications. Trade deals could be re-negotiated automatically, too: on the turn before it happens, you'd get a notification in the lower right corner: "6 gpt from Napoleon vs. Spice will renew next turn". Basically there's no reason to interrupt your play for anything other than totally new trade deals, peace treaties or war declarations.

1. I'm guessing you're playing on a slower computer. Those "hey, we're awesome!" screens got annoying back when I was playing on an older computer and I had time to do stuff between turns... only to come back to find a pointless AI message screen had interrupted the AI turns. I'd do away with those, too, though it's less of an issue on my new machine.
3. I honestly kind of like this aspect, and it makes a kind of sense. Extra cities can give extra production, but they can also give extra unhappiness and extra diplomatic penalties. Finally, they're probably pretty vulnerable to recapture. So maybe the idea is that the AI sheds some extra city deadweight, develops a leaner strategy, and then is in position to recapture those cities later?
4. I have to agree with the weird rarity of coal. Then again, because the AI isn't inclined to settle every square inch of land on the planet, and because the AI is pretty raze-happy, there's usually an unsettled coal space out there somewhere, usually somewhere pretty convenient. Given that the industrial era is also an era of heavy colonization, this seems appropriate.

... Have you ever played a map with 22 (or, God forbid, 43!) civs on it? This nonsense needs to stop and the sooner it does the better. These kinds of announcements could be handled easily with notifications. Trade deals could be re-negotiated automatically, too: on the turn before it happens, you'd get a notification in the lower right corner: "6 gpt from Napoleon vs. Spice will renew next turn". Basically there's no reason to interrupt your play for anything other than totally new trade deals, peace treaties or war declarations.

I doubt people will like deals auto renewing. I honestly don't see the issue with this. You don't have the time to renew a deal once every 30 turns?

Plus, this isn't even during your turn, its during the AI turn.

you also need the Coal to build the 3 Factories to get an Ideology, else wait until you reach the Modern Era. and yes it's weird and Coal is very often nowhere in your realm, and getting the Coal from a CS is a dice roll for a couple reasons.

playing Marathon is giving the human player advantage over AI, and weakens the already bad early game AI war possibility against you.

Diplomacy interruptions: To minimize the inconvenience,
Options: Video Options: set Leader Screen Quality to Minimum ...

removes the animations (which were nice for awhile but, for crying out loud, it's been a couple years), and perhaps reduces video overhead.

I doubt people will like deals auto renewing. I honestly don't see the issue with this. You don't have the time to renew a deal once every 30 turns?

Plus, this isn't even during your turn, its during the AI turn.
I do have the time, but that doesn't mean I'd like to waste it. Renewing deals is a mindless chore with no strategic repercussions (in 95% of cases); but the real issue is that it stops the AI processing their turn, so that I can't read a book or go afk while the game crunches its numbers. Now I don't get a lot of slowdown in the late game but I do get some so it'd be nice to have this issue take care of. There are other, far more pressing issues though (social policy balance comes first to mind). It's a 'quality of life' improvement, as they say.

Sorry, meant in between turns. When I play I usually do something else while waiting between turns, it is irritating to continuously have to check for diplomatic screens. And my computer is not slow, I am. I just play the game at a leisurely pace, either browsing the internet or reading, and it pisses me off to be interrupted by a childish insult. It does not add to the game. Not a deal breaker, just something that I think should have been looked at, but maybe it only bothers me.

lucky you ronjon, I quit because i'm basically invincible in bnw.

And upgrade your computer or play on smaller maps other than these two, ther'es nothing much you can do.

... Have you ever played a map with 22 (or, God forbid, 43!) civs on it?

I tried a huge game with added Civs once. Genghis decided to sack a city-state and the next turn 15+ Civs had to let me know he is a menace to the world and we should declare war on him. I quit the game shortly after that.

To be honest, the game isn't really made for those kinds of games though. If there are changes that make such a game more bearable, I am all for it, don't get me wrong. Just difficult to sympathize when you can just play a smaller map and get rid of all those annoyances without losing much in return.

Kudos to those that can play huge, marathon, and added Civs. Takes way more patience than I have.

2) Everything takes so damn long in marathon. Don't play it then. I had a same problem; I wanted longer eras but normal production times. I'd recommend you to get two mods: Infinite Empires (for nerfing tech cost of new cities) and Extended Eras (or something like that). Extended Eras makes technology costs like epic/marathon, but keeps all production as standard. Ancient units are also realistically expensive - there wasn't great wars in ancient, only smaller scale wars. The most of the warfare takes place after renessaince, so peaceful ancient era isn't problem for me.

You are so wrong about the scale of warfare in ancient times. It was warfare was constant and destructive. The earliest cities built walls, in addition to other building that the game charges upkeep for, and still made time for killing each other. And since the game does not use tell how many men per unit, who the hell knows what large are small scale wars are in game terms. I am not a big warmonger, but the early turns are boring as hell. Also, were not the Assyrian, babylonian, persian, and greek empires all considered part of the ancient age. The armies definitely numbered around or above 100,000.
I like marathon. I do not like the faster speeds. I understand they exist because I played them before. I did not complain about tech speeds, I complained about unit production speed and cost.

And upgrade your computer or play on smaller maps other than these two, ther'es nothing much you can do
Did I once complain about how long the turns take? I do not like that in between turns are interrupted

Since they kinda forgot about a coal-using frigate upgrade and ignored that early railroads ran on tons of coal, the scarcity of coal is not that big a deal.

Top Bottom