PolyCast Episode 127: "Lot of Resetting Still"

The interface is ok, but I agree that Civ V runs too slowly.

Civ IV ran slowly only in the later stages of the game, but Civ V starts already slow and only gets worse.

I really hope they release an optimization patch at some point that speeds up turns at least during the first 50 turns or so.

DanQ: "As has arguably become a common inquiry of mine for first-time commenters (that I'm aware of), how long have you been listening to the show and how did you first come across it?"

First I found civfanatics and apolyton, just one year ago actually. I had Civilization:Revolution but it was becoming repetitive, I checked out some reviews and was astounded how Civ IV seemed complex and cool... then I was hooked to civ , and got Civs V and III too.

I started listening to PolyCast around last spring, I always saw links to the shows on civ sites but thought it was a sort of live feed for people in US time zones.. :D

I started downloading them and I always put them on my phone where I can listen to them on bus on my way to work or at gym... something very addictive about the PolyCast and a good chemistry between the hosts!

Thanks for the call-in, MadDjinn. :goodjob:

Remember, it's not too late to join the War Academy competition! You've still got almost two weeks before it closes, so sign up (follow the link in my signature) and have a crack at an article. There are some great articles already drafted or under construction, and it'd be awesome to have even more people lending their writing skills and Civ5 knowledge to this project. :)

Did Firaxis ever release hard numbers about much Civ IV and Civ V have sold?

Were most of the Civ IV sales front loaded or spread out over time and higher when the price dropped, and how does that compare to Civ V?
I haven't scoured the 'Net in some time as to the sales of either, though any official numbers do/would come from publisher 2K almost assuredly as opposed to developer Firaxis Games. Just over three years after CivIV's release, it was reported that 3 million units of it had been sold. As for CivV, digital distributor Steam is keeping sales data private, and I wasn't able to find any data for non-Steam sales either. (Admittedly my search wasn't exhaustive, but not encouraging in this respect.)

The interface is ok, but I agree that Civ V runs too slowly.

Civ IV ran slowly only in the later stages of the game, but Civ V starts already slow and only gets worse.
I'll concur with that.

First I found civfanatics and apolyton, just one year ago actually. I had Civilization:Revolution but it was becoming repetitive, I checked out some reviews and was astounded how Civ IV seemed complex and cool... then I was hooked to civ , and got Civs V and III too.
Given that you've mentioned CivRev, I'll use this as a cross-promotion opportunity for sibling podcast RevCast. I wouldn't be surprised if you found some points within that made that game less repetitive for you!

I started listening to PolyCast around last spring, I always saw links to the shows on civ sites but thought it was a sort of live feed for people in US time zones.. :D
Heh. The live broadcasts and recordings of our episodes this season admittedly do favour the North American and European timezones, but indeed any and all are welcome to listen in and participate if and when possible.

I started downloading them and I always put them on my phone where I can listen to them on bus on my way to work or at gym... something very addictive about the PolyCast and a good chemistry between the hosts!
Though we do want to inform Civ, we also want to entertain... thank you for your kind feedback on both accounts :king:.

Thanks for the call-in, MadDjinn. :goodjob:

Remember, it's not too late to join the War Academy competition! You've still got almost two weeks before it closes...
Indeed. Thanks for checking in!

Top Bottom