TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

ooc: story from orders
Azaba was the next king of Axum. He was the son of Sofya. He ordered the construction of a large port on the nile. The goal was to get more out of the Nile trade and have more controll over the incoming goods.

In the meantime, the plague hung like a dark shadow over the state. Many looked to religion. Any faith in the region was at least partially present in Axum. Azaba continued his mothers policy, which had its roots with Kalub. Traders avoided routs to mesopotamia, and import from there was banned. Fear grew. There were rare cases where someone was burned because he was thought to have the plague. In Aswan, the port authority issued a reward for anyone who could find a herb that would kill rats that eat a food, but not humans. Several attempts were made to claim the prize, but they usualy resulted in utter failure. The plague was far away, so the port authority of Axum was convince there was no danger, but the people did not share his belief.

Coffe grew to be an important crop, both for export and import. The value of the coffe trade reached unknown hights, and Negus, the merchant who controlled this trade grew rich overnight, before his monopoly collapsed as many flooded to take advantage of the opportunity.

The food boiling proceeded, as it seemed to be working, becoming a seemingly normal thing in Aswan, though it obviously harmed some trade, especialy the Nile Wheat Trade.

After Azaba, Axum was again ruled by the port authority. They continued the old policy, putting in little of their own.

2700-2650 BCE - Update 7

Plagues had evacuated the living from workshops and sweatshops all across the Exaltation. The spirit of the Aramyan cities and towns, dry like a Semitic well, as it always did, had enough kick to drive home some revenge. The Zatruns, the naughty buggers, moved into the Paruhorsehockye homeland vengefully. The Aramyans brought in Paruhorsehockye warriors from the north, along with their own army, in a mission to recapture the Paruhorsehockye home, and bring all Paruhorsehockyes into the Exaltation.
The population, being as dense as it used to be, was generally hit equally, over everyone. The many different castes were still in equal proportion, subsequently. Many homes were opened for new citizens, and a whole new program to repopulate began, now a very moral issue, baby booms were sought out by the dual queens through conquests wherever possible.
The appointed king after Rubric was killed along with a large portion of the royal family by the plague, and the wives of the former kings were given the unique opportunity to lead. The climate for this transition couldn’t have been better for them, with no one terribly upset as they were busy worrying about disease and their own families, the queens swash-buckled into power. Later generations systematically eradicated mention of their names, however, and they have subsequently been referred to the Magistrate Queen and the Efficacy Queen.
They closely worked with the surviving generals to plan the war against the Zatruns as well as against any resisting Ortun towns. They selected heirs from their opposing male children, so that they could re-establish the image of Aramya, and justify their rule as transitional and temporary due to the devastation of the plague.
The plague had ruined the army too, with the grand ox chariot army incomplete due to it, they set about finally finishing it, and putting it to use against the Zatruns and the Hyaks (the latter for whom their children plotted to destroy).

OOC: Well, it's a bit late now.

OOC: Thanks. Preference noted and duly ignored accounted for.
As for diplomatic explanation, I think I actually might do that.

You cut off trade with everyone out there at war, close to being at war, or were at war (Italy). You didn't reverse that order yet.
Which is why i am asking if anyone wants to resume trade now the worst of it seems over... :crazyeye:

Orders sent

Orders I still need by Deadline (Approx 40 Hours): Moldath, Erez, Zeletdude, Southern King, MjM (need to send 2 orders), Eltain, Gem Hound

Orders got for: Tycho, Stockholme, Boundless, Spaceman, TerrisH,

To think I only have 11 active players now. And... two dozen or so NPCs. :p.

For you Lurkers, here are the "Good" NPCs which I rather want to be filled.
Nova Sarkov-Good prospects for Iberian Expansion. A player would need to talk both about the Valyrian heritage and native traditions which comes to form this nation
Illian Confederacy Rival of Thloryn (athens), The Illians must work with TerrisH to maintain their hold on the black sea while looking worriedly towards Katan. A player needs to manage both the Black Sea and Aegean sea trades, as well as the growing threats on Thrace and Anatolia
Damascus/Forman Siria One of the more secular states. This nation is known for fighting off two God Kings over the centuries. They can expand their hold in the Levant, fight off the Hyaks from their Sirun brothers, or go a third path, perhaps.
Hyak Empire A classic God Empire based off Akkad, they are fighting an endless war against the Siruns to the north to assimilate their land and resources. They are important for supplying much of Aramya's industrial resources (although it is supplimented by others). A Player needs to manage their many borders, the growing dissent after the plague, and expansionistic Aramya.

For those who want their own Cultures, here are the more malleable cultures which I would allow quite some playing around with.
Man Tribes Including Huai Kingdom if MjM isn't here. Just south of the more civilized Han Empire of Xilaroi, their cultural lands range from the edge of the Yellow River valley to the gorges of the Yangtse.
Ganges Cultures Vanasi is a new, vibrant imperial center. Retokimas and Daretoki are rival clans with a bitter history, and Yetas hosts some of the best farmland along the river. The meteoric rise and fall of the Patni empire brings many opportunities for backstory backfill as well as future conquests.
North Levant
Beyond Cyrus and Syria, there are mountain peoples which can become the next conquerors after the Koyunlu, who hailed from this birthplace.
Yemani/Hormuni Tribes
Both mainily fishing/trading tribes based on growing citystates, a player only has to remember that trade lasted for centuries before brining up warfare and such.
Kartoros AKa Khartkorom, a southern Kuhorsehockye state gaining control of the trade in alliance with the Ethiopians.

Can not wait to see what the next update looks like.

The final years of Egypt stories+orders will be sent as soon as I can. I have a family weekend so I might be slowed down.

At least the war was held back... for now...

I will be releasing the final tidbit of my own story about midnight or so for me.

What happened to the "combat update" idea?

A Pivotal Declaration

"Citizens, voters, Rumen, Slaves."

O'Peiuas stood on an elevated dais, a foot higher than the congragation. He was a short, squat man, and his head barely raised above the gathered crowd. He had recently been re-elected as the Vox Populi of Ctesiphod. The crowd shifted and changed and murmured incessantly as he spoke.

"Friends. Enemies. It is times like these that the rule of the mob is truly tested."

The crowd quieted down at this. A fist raised here, a fist raised there; the symbol for quiet. It spread through the crowd until every head stared at P'peiuas.

"You have all chosen to vote for me, based on the merit of my arguments. The merit of my campaign and my promises, and how I stand in regards to the rest of the world; to Valyria, and Apulia, and the Macedonians and the Epirote. My reforms regarding Mediolaum, and the endless war in the south."

"The rule of the mob if a fickle, ever-changing thing. The slightest murmur of things like plague, war, a famine, or a drought; these things are what change minds and regimes. Discontent, or perhaps even the thought of discontent. All of these things aside, I need the collected masses consent for what I am proposing. I need all of the Rumen that have flocked here from as far south as Pyrrhus and as far west as indeed our friends the Lijurians. And I need the masses of people of Ctesiphod to approve of my next move."

"The endless war the Valyrian Empire is waging on the rest of the world. Their fanatical Grey Faith, Red Faith and what have you, their genocidal ways, with the burning of Kora-Torr and many other southern cities as a result of their war-mongering ways. I know many of you are immigrants. Our foreign ways must be a bit odd, with our eating, grooming and speakibg habits. Our backwards way of rule. I also know that many of you, even Cytrian natives, have family that had traveled to farm in Valyria, and that are all now likely dead."

"Thus I have one question to ask of you. Raise your fist for yes, keep it down for no."

"Shall we go to war against the Valyrians?"

The fists of many Rumen raised high, a shining example for all. One by one, the rest of the Rumen did raise their hands. A chorus of Ctesiphod natives followed, lastly with O'Peiuas himself.

It was decided then. War had to be declared on the Valyrian Empire.

The Republic of Ctesiphod hereby declares war on the Valyrian Empire.

Orders for the Cleansing

"Sir!"

The Lark was at his desk, scrawling rapidly orders across the papers on his desk. The Red Faith commandant that came into the room raised his fist skyward in a salute and brought forth a papyrus scroll. The Lark unrolled it and read.

It dropped to the floor.

Steadying himself, the Lark stood up. He remained calm the whole while. "Ready the Fanatics, the Martyrs and the Zealots. Ready the Crimson Claws and the Red Faith. They have messed with our delicate plans for the last time; we can not abhor this any longer."

"Aye commander. Shall I gather the council?"

"Do so. Now."

Commander Cornelius was the first to speak. "How did they find out?"

"We don't know."

"Someone told them."

"I said we don't know. We have too much work to do to sit here and fling insults and accusations!" The Lark's fist slammed into the table before him now, the ring of councilors around him wearing grim masks. "They accuse us of murdering their people! They are accusing us, us goddammit! We have done nothing to them, they are safe and sound!"

"Then kill them." Grey Faith Commander Saulius with his rheumy eyes spoke forcefully now. "Kill them and be done with it, the Ctyrians want to betray us, then so be it. We will murder them all."

"I will not kill innocent civilians."

"They are not innocent. They are members of our enemy, and we must quash them like ants."

"I said no, goddammit! We have enough problems as it is already, and this has thrown a knife into all of our plans..."

"We go to war then." Red Faith commander Marcus stood up and laughed. "Finally! I can taste the blood of their sheepish selves already... we hunger for flesh of people who dare to accuse us of wrongdoing, when what they have done caused our situation. Do we have your leave, my king?"

"Do whatever you want. Make sure they suffer though." The Lark looked up from his place and into the eyes of all the men gathered. "They want a war? We'll give it to them. What we did to Kora-Torr will be a mercy compared to what we do to their cities... they will have only ash and rubble if they are lucky."

The council members stood up and began to clap. "The time has come people, for the Cleansing of the North! Shallah Vyal! Shallah Vyal!"

"Death to the them, death to them all!"

And so it begins.

Flames, Ash, Exodus, and the Final Hour

"Further more people, we can no longer afford to be optimistic in these grim times of ours... it is soon that the beasts, the demons and the heretics from the north, south, east and the west, descend upon our nation to try and consume it and tear it asunder. People, we must realize; the fight for our homeland, and the fight for Valyria is lost. We must retreat... we must evacuate." The Faelinkriser stroked his beard and nodded at the men around the table.

Commander Cornelius was the first to speak. "You speak of high treason, Faelinkriser. We can not abandon our homeland; we broke the Samnites down and ground them into the dust. We must continue the fight until the last man."

"And you would have the entire nation die by your hand?"

Cornelius lurched out of his chair and drew his knife. Members of the Red Faith that were present as a part of the Lark's entourage rose up as well and wielded knives of their own, made out of sharpened human bones and augmented with bronze that they had acquired and forged onto the bones.

"Sit down Cornelius." The Lark, or Sirius I as he was known, was tired. He leaned upon the table with his head propped up by his hand, and his eyes were red and puffy. "We have work to do and the Faelinkriser wanted me to hear him out at the very least."

Cornelius grunted and sat. The Faelinkriser bowed and continued; "As I was saying, the fight for Valyria is lost comrades. We can no longer keep a balanced nation here, nor can we keep order."

"And you propose us to run like cowards instead?" Cornelius and other members of the military hissed through their teeth at him.

"I propose that we go elsewhere. Valyria is lost, there is no reason to keep defending a place that will fall to the sword eventually... we have to try and rescue as many people as we can before the inevitable happens. Valyria will fall people, and the demons from the south and the north shall crush and murder us all unless we figure out a way to evacuate our people. It is the only way for Valyria to survive this onslaught."

"Then what do you propose?" The Lark had his attention on the Faelinkriser now. "What could possibly save us?"

"A fleet sir, a glorious fleet... a plague from the east is coming soon, and if we don't move and build this fleet to sail our people to new frontiers, we shall be lost in turmoil when the plauge strikes. We have to build the fleet... I estimate that we can take more than half of our people to the new lands."

"Half you say?" Cornelius leaned forward and tapped his dagger on the table. "What about the other half?"

The Faelinkriser hesitated. "We have to leave them behind for right now."

A flurry of comotion and arguments broke out in the room; Cornelius and other commanders rose up, knives out and making their way towards the Faelinkriser. Red Faith members were up as well, their red eyes evident as they moved forward and went to protect the Faelinkriser. Nobles of many houses from the Sarkovian royal family rose up and shouted at one another as did the merchants and the other assorted advisors present.

"All of you, shut up!"

Instantly, everything quieted down in the room. Papyrus papers that had flown up into the air during the commotion settled down. The Lark was on his feet, flanked by two menacing Red Faith members. "We have a job to do, and I must here the Faelinkriser out, so get back into your godammed seats and let's continue this meeting!"

Slowly, everyone sat back down, and the Faelinkriser remained standing. He continued unabated; "As I said, Valyria is lost. These new lands shall rescue our people. The people that shall remain behind are the Zealots, the Fanatics and the Martyrs, as well as the entirety of the Red Faith. The commanders that are a part of the Red Faith have requested to remain behind to 'devour the heretics'. Quite frankly, that is beneficial for us. It gives us a united front from which to hold the enemies at bay until we have the Grand Fleet ready to evacuate our people. Once we have them deposited off, the ships shall return for you."

"For those that are left you mean." Cornelius was scarlet, incadescent with rage. "We have close to twenty thousand men, yes, but how many will be lost as we hold off the Zirilists and the Ligurian dogs?"

"Plenty will be lost."

"And our cities? What about them?"

"We can leave nothing for the enemies." The Faelinkriser bent forward and put his palms on the giant map in the center of the table. "We must let them have a land of ashes and corpses; burn the cities and destroy them when they are likely to fall, even Sarkov. Let them have their victory, at a massive cost. Burn them, kill them, let them take only rubble and dust of our nation as it slips away."

"You are insane."

"It is our only option."

"And if we are still alive after that? What if the nation does not fall?"

"Do not burn the cities until it seems likely that they will fall... build tunnels out of the cities and light them on fire during the sieges. If the nation does not fall, hold your ground. We will have two footholds in the world that either one can retreat to if need be. If the Toras men and the Ligurians no longer wish to fight, then keep the watch steady."

"Your plan will require funding." The Lark broke in now to offer his grains of wisdom. "What about that?"

"We will draw funding from our own coffers in the Faith, and hopefully from you, King."

"You shall have it. Free Samnia can have the ruins of Kora-Torr for all I care." The Lark turned to Gaius Tatius and Camellius Tatius. "What about you two? Will you be going?"

Both shook their heads. "We shall not leave our homeland king, it is too late for that in our lives now."

The Lark smiled. "Then the three of us can die together, leading the people of Sarkovia to glory and honor."

Camellius nodded, as did Gaius. The Lark turned back to the Faelinkriser. "Do what needs to be done."

The Faelinkriser nodded.

"The wood on the arcs is rotting, sir."

"Dammit all to hell, we don't have time for this!"

"I know sir, I know..."

"Can you do anything about it?"

"No sire, we can not."

"Wonderful." The Faelinkriser mopped his brow. "The Lark will not be happy with this."

The columns were amassing now, giant columns of people. They had left their homes, their ancestral places and their places of worship to come here and be a part of the mass exodus. They were grim and dark, armed with whatever weapons that they had been provided with, or that they had picked up. Spears and bows were plentiful, and pitchforks and the hideously clawed sickle scythe was present as well. Storm clouds swirled in the sky as more than sixty thousand people amassed for their travel.

The Lark stood up on the hill top with his son, Tiberius. The boy was strong and brave, and to his credit he was a calm and well mannered fellow. Rain was falling gently on them now, as lighting crackled high up in the sky...

So it was happening. The final plan, a plan that would have saved almost all of their nation, was gone. The one hope that the leaders had held onto was gone; there was only this final remaining option.

Motioning to a man in the column, the Lark waited for the Grey Faith commander to come up. The Lark motioned to the boy as the Grey Faith commander snapped a salute. "Keep them all safe."

The commander nodded.

Tiberius gave his father one final look as he left with the commander, his hand in the older man's as they marched off to join the column.

"All of our nation is leaving at this point. Three hundred thousand people and over twenty five thousand soldiers are marching with them; they should be well protected. There is still the matter of our cities though..."

"I gave explicit orders."

"We know sir. We are enacting Operation Cinderbolt as we speak..."

"Good. And the assassins near Bellevenetum?"

"They are being... dealt with by the Red Faith as we speak. Something about, 'Delicious heretical dark meat', something of the sort akin to that."

"Wonderful. I'll remember that when we are eating water fowl."

"We won't have enough food stores to last us more than a year sir."

"I know."

"The people that are behind with us..."

"Have chosen to die an honorable death. The Fanatics, the Martyrs and the Zealots, they are all here because this what they want. They want revenge."

"Aye, sir."

"Have Operation Cinderbolt going by tomorrow, understood? I don't want anybody occupying our homeland."

"Understood sir."

"Dukes Gaius and Camellius...?"

"Staying behind sir. They wish to die in their homes as well. The Samnite refugees that are loyal to the Faith are streaming northward as we speak."

"And the matter of the sickness from the east?"

"Kindly One Silencers have been dispatched. They have their orders."

"Good. Take your leave then, soldier."

"Aye, commander."

The Lark looked out over Sarkov one last time, the city empty and devoid of all life now... the few remaining civilians had fled into the hills to wait to fling themselves at anyone trying to occupy Valyria. Farms and towns had already been slashed and burned, and the forests all over the peninsula had been set fire to; the winds blew strong, the flames and the smoke drifting southward.

Off in the distance, he could hear the bells ringing... the Lark smiled. His chirp was there, inside of those bells. They had been stamped with the Blackfyre and the insignia of the Lark, and now they rung in a mournful note to end this chapter of Valyria.

He smiled on further, remembering the good times; up in the north enjoying walks with friends, meeting his wife and having his son Tiberius being born into the world... the day he took power, the day he walked in the halls Sarklov I had walked in... he was not fit to go through those halls, not fit since Markrov died... but what did it matter at this point?

The bells stopped ringing.

That was the signal.

A single smoky contrail whipped itself over the distant walls of Sarkov to slam into the northern part of the city's homes.

Fires sprung up instantly, greedily eating their way through all that was there. Grasses and trees and wood had been piled high and stacked up to give the blaze some fuel, and the fires would have maybe a half hour before they reached the palace...

All across Valyria, this was taking place as Cinderbolt took effect.

The Valyrians were really sore losers... after all, burning down the cities and leaving only ash and rubble left the occupiers that would come after so many options.

The Lark smiled sadly once more. It would not be long until he joined the blaze...

Gods forgive me for my wrongs and my failings...

Sounds of coughs and vomiting spread through the streets. A great plague sent from the gods strikes Egypt. The dead pile up. All is wrong in Egypt.

The story begins in the south, far in the south of Egypt. After decades with no support from the northern kings the cities of the south feels it has been enough. The great priests of Thebes begin again to speak. They speak of change in the country. The disease of the north only slowly betrays them. The gods must show their favor in that.

In Anor God King Ah-Rais II sits on his throne. Oblivious to the world. Some say he have been born on that throne and has never left. He lives year after year. Threats are sent to the Levant, answered in peace. Peace under his throne would be kept as long as the lunatics of the Levant remain at peace with his friends and allies. Yet he has never met his friends and allies, he only speaks out of his own wishes. The King has never met a sick person in his life. He hears from his advisers, every year another one, that a great plague from bast fell upon the land, and it is killing the population. Yet the king is uncaring. He has not felt the disease.

Through Egyptian Nomes the royal family is dying. The disease takes everyone by surprise. With few members from his close and even enlarged family Ah-Rais is forced to nominate new rulers to Nomes. Further away on the family tree, further away from total respect and awe from the god king. No longer Nome Kings with 100% loyalty to the king. For now Ah-Rais keeps them in line with his forces.

Eleven years God King Ah-Rais II ruled Egypt. Through this years the plague have only expanded its rule over the land... God King Resus II Isis's-Boon is made king in Anor. He nominates Pharsas as Nome King of Thebes. This will prove to be a mistake..........

While Egypt went to war in the north, the south was rambling. For decades the northern kings showed little to no care for the south. This allowed the growth of powerful priestly orders that all but controlled the cities and towns of the south. This got only stronger with the organization of the Nomes, and the plague that slaughtered through the royal family. The God-Kings had to nominate non-royals to the control of the southern Nomes, far from the eye, far from the heart.

In the Nome of Thebes the priests held the Nome Kings with their balls. They could easily bring the entire population to rebel against any Nome King who would not do as they wished. At first the God King gave backing to the Nome Kings closer to him, but eventually the priests of Thebes gained power that could not turn back. It all eventually came to the day the God King in Anor chose a man of Thebes as Nome King of Thebes. This man was close with the priests and so the God-King believed this would mean less troubles from the south, he was wrong. When that same God King went to war in the Levant, all hell broke in the south.

His name was Pharsa. A high ranking magistrate and powerful head of a merchant guild in Thebes. He was well known in Thebes and approved by the priests who quickly showed their support by giving him the trust of the people. And Pharsa was not stupid, this trust was well used.

At first Pharsa created a small palace guard for himself. In Anor nobody cared. That palace guard slowly grew and eventually Pharsa also created a temple guard for the priests. The people stood in lines to join the ranks of this forces. People loved Pharsa, who was different from the Kings of Anor. He brought wealth to the city, built temples and monuments. The northern kings forgot from the south as they delved deeper into the Levant. Rumors said even Byblos was less important to one king than the influence of Egypt there. The south was no cared for. But Pharsa cared. It was his home, how could he not.

As the Egyptian forces of Anor fought in the north a major war for a warrior god king, Pharsa made his move. He sent emissaries to other southern cities and towns to look for support, which he quickly found. Forces were made and trained and Pharsa had an army. The Southern Egyptian Alliance, or better known as Upper Egyptian Alliance, went to war with Anor. The war would be long, longer than Pharsa's life, and at first The God-King would not even understand the importance of this. They saw them as mere rebels, and sent tiny forces that were eradicated to stop them, the war in the Levant was more important for that god king.

But the rebellion grew and took with it the entire of upper Egypt. As long as Pharsa lived the alliance was also united behind a single person. Upper Egypt was free for now, only an invasion of Lybians now pressured them. The Lybians took Aswan, but did not go further than that once the Upper Egyptians brought an army to hold them back if they move further north.

Pharsa will die, and the alliance will break into many city states vying for power and only allying against outsiders. But Pharsa was the first king for a long time to truly wake and shake up Egypt...

I'm Missing Orders for: Thloryn/Zeletdude, Katan/Luckymoose, Dakinsa/Southernking, and Huai/MjM. Therefore, I am freezing India for this update until I get orders. I'd prefer even a guideline over NPCing, as your NPC will just bank/invest and make basic fighting in war.

Update Process: Mesopotamia->Levant/Egypt->Egypt/Nile->Aegean->Italy->Western Med; India; China

Spoiler :
Also: Cultures will rise and fall. Disasters will happen. When a disaster happens, from now on, I want an description of how your people react. Now, some people might say "OOC knowledge!" but I'd prefer to write an update that protrays your culture accurately instead of taking generic disaster affects. More specifically; I want to know the most important thing this disaster meant for your people; will they revolt, will they cling to authority (local?); will they scatter or stand together; will unassimilated populations revolt or stay? I would again point to TerrisH's, Southern Kings and Erez's use of the Plague; TerrisH used it to demostrate the increased cohesion granted by his project (which succeded.); Southern King demonstrated an aspect of his religion (still pending) (which was slighty changed); Erez, as you can read, collapsed his nation and provided a good story of the rise and fall of a nation.
One last thing; I detest "One nation to last the world" but I'm fine with "one civilization/culture to last the world". Build your nation and the consequences will affect future nations with similar culture.
Have fun.

Are there any areas of the map you repeatedly have failed to get orders for? May as well kill it off rather than wait every turn...

Top Bottom