Uomo Universalis

Damn. A manual install should work then, but I just uploaded all 3 in one zip for ease (see OP).

Attached were the map variants. It's not non-mod, but that doesn't matter much. Non-recognized civs/CS just get replaced with a random one I believe. You should be able to view them normally.

Its pretty much the same as Terra Nostra, apart from some regions that hold the new civs. Mostly more atolls and some fish for Polynesia, and less mountains/more space for Inca and Tibet. And more CS in Oceania to prevent Polynesia from dominating (just a guess).

You might want to remove the Oceania CSs, Poly is notably poor at expanding in TSL games.

After much searching why I experienced peculiar crashes on the earth maps I found the culprit: <EmbarkedToLandFlatCost>true</EmbarkedToLandFlatCost>. The other XML entries added for DLCs work just fine, except this one. I guess if you have the Viking Destiny DLC it will work, but without the game crashes at some point if the Vikings are on the map.
Is there anyone that can confirm this behavior with(out) owning the DLC?

You might want to remove the Oceania CSs, Poly is notably poor at expanding in TSL games.
Thanks for the tip. There is still more than enough room to expand though. It's mostly a measure against the human. Also the CS may add more options to an otherwise quite boring start. I will work on the region a bit further.

As apparently this mod is on the front page, it's time to upload a version that doesn't crash for DLC-non-owners.

I further improved the map by creating more(,) interesting city spot choices, including for some start situations. On eazyseeker's advice I added more resources, especially food, especially fish. As the Polynesia start was a tad boring I included the multihulled canoe as new unique. The vikings (can) get a great navigator: go find those skraelings!

Q: Why are you and the top dogs drowning in gold at endgame?
A: It's the trade routes, stupid.

Excluding buildings, you get more gold for your connected pop than science. And it's free! The lunch must not be free! So I taketh the nerf stick...

Problem: breakeven comes way too late.
Solution: increase base gold.

Oops, that's what we had in the ICS days! So, is ICS sufficiently marginalized now to restore to a non-self-inflating economy?
In exact terms I (old => new):

base :c5gold:: -1 => +1
:c5gold: / :c5citizen:: 1,1 => 0.5
:c5gold: / :c5capital: :c5citizen:: 0.15 => 0.05

Suppose 10 :c5citizen: :c5capital: (for ease). Breakeven occurs for just 1 :c5citizen: if you need 2 roads. For each extra road, you need 2 more :c5citizen:. Sounds like ICS heaven? Consider this:

:c5gold: per population (new/old):
5 :c5citizen:: 4 :c5gold: / 6 :c5gold:
17 :c5citizen:: 10 :c5gold: / 19 :c5gold:
27 :c5citizen:: 15 :c5gold: / 30 :c5gold: (for just one city! albeit a large one)

Any thoughts? In any case, it's in beta 3.

New in beta 4:
  • Improved Piety tree, somewhat changed Freedom tree. Constitution now grants a 15% production bonus when constructing pre-renaissance buildings. The tree still has about equal synergy with Piety as before.
  • Offices: like the Central Station (included) from CiVUP: a "free" building you can purchase (for 1 gold) in the capital immediately after researching a tech. Others are the Forestry Office (+1 :c5production: on jungle tiles; mind that jungle has 1 less :c5food: in this mod) and the Tourism Office (+6 :c5gold: on natural wonders). The latter replaces the National Park from earlier versions, which had several issues:
    • the AI can't know where to build it, as there is no feature constraint for buildings
    • thus I had to add other boni just for the AI (so it wouldn't be wasting resources)
    • it was the only national wonder without building prerequisites

Finally a little debugging tale cut short (proza helps against code fatigue):

After a dreaded crash with nothing showing in logs I knew I was in for some fun hours trying to figure out the cause. First clue is the time frame: some addition from the late medieval times was the culprit. So I go over the code for civilization uniques I added; nothing suspicious. The last confirmed activity is from Gandhi, so all players before him in the rotation get off the hook. I look into the other civs ingame: the Vikings are about to get a great merchant, which is replaced by the great navigator. I disable it; stays the same.
Thus I enable all possible logs in config.ini. Last activities in it are Moor or Viking. So the Vikings are guilty after all. One of the logs shows they just took Reformation, which now grants 2 free Missionaries. Then I remember I removed them for the Vikings to make room for the Berserker. A genuine moment you don't know if it's "ahaa" or "DOH".

I'd say the chances for beta 4 being bug-free are pretty good now ;)
edit: starting from... NOW :mischief: (apologies to the 3 downloaders just before)

I got it to work and here is some feedback.

This mod works with the following mods. I have used and tested it, and i always play with these mods, in fact if a mod can't use palace additions, i might not be able to use that mod...

Building Upgrades
Palace Additions
ALL CIV PACKS (your carthage conflicts with ancient med civ carthage, same with your maya and maupache conflicting with the ANAC maya and maupache.
Echoes of Ages - There is a conflict with the technologies "Clergy" and "Ceremonial Burial". In the tech tree, your tech is on top and Ceremonial Burial is invisible. That said, i can research ceremonial burial all the same and enjoy it, i just can't research this tech from the tech tree.

Your mod hates Hulfgars mod. Your old mod liked it and worked ok with it. I have not tested it with darkhour reality yet.

DLC:

Your mod does not like DLC. Mongolia seems to work but the rest of my DLC, just gives the Firaxis versions, all vanilla. For example, Spain has "Seven Cities of Gold" and not "Treasure Fleets".
Atahualpa is a bad idea of an inca leader. Don't use the inept who reigned in the collapse of his own people to the spanish crown. That said, i can choose Either inca of pacachuti or of atahualpa and they act as 2 different civ's.

ALL the civs who mime the DLC civ's use the DLC Civ art, traits, unit - only inca is different. Polynesia units vanish when they embark and become canoes (in strat view, in normal view they remain canoes even when they come back on land).

I am still working on earth maps, so far i have...

1,000 BC
1,000 AD
Old World
New World

Each version will specialize on which regions of the world are empty and flooded with what. The main differences in your map and mine are as follows:

I enlarged europe, specific Spain, Greece, Italy and Britan. I added another british isle and expanded japan. expanded Anatolia. Reduced Africa. (shrunk NW africa cape and africa central) and shrunk south america by snipping off patagonia, expanded the andes region, reduced the pacifica and caribiean.

america: made the east coast "taller" and california thinner while elaborating the rockies and arizona/colorado area. made mexico and latin america a little bit bigger, moved florida over one hex to expand the east seaboard, made east board one hex taller in canada AND in northern states (illinois/inidana/ohio region).

Once i get it finished, my map pack will have a version for your mod (even though its redundant), one for NIGHTS and then i can focus on other mods that need a good earth map.

I have played a lot with size and scaling and for those who want to ursurp me and make better earths - the "waste" occurs in the ocean not the land, aisa, specific sibir region too big east-west, china needs 2 more hexes east, japan needs moved east and elaborated (which i did in my earth map.

edit - in pacifica, a lot of coast for triremes the opposite of atlantic. pacific islands no matter how you cut the cookie will be isolated and anti-social, polynesia either settles west usa seaboard, australia, alaska, south africa and i fixed it by putting polynesia in Papua and moving Papua to West new guina. this allows kamehameha to meet and socialize with asian leaders which seems to cause him to settle pacifica. otherwise he will just play as though he didn't have any opponents. imagine your kid brother with all the AI bonuses but he is alone in the islands and doesn't know that he is in a game with other people so he just builds some units and cities and when he realizes he has neighbors he freaks out, realizes how far behind he is, decides to play for fun and 30 turns later he has 3 cities and no playable statistics.

BUT in guina, he seems to confine himself to indonesia region, and settle pacifica which is fine. when it was 3x city placement you needed polynesia for japan and siam. if kamahameha goes in hawaii, he just settles like one settlement then california. then he either becomes the god of america or he does as above.

For the most part, my earth map was redesigned to make room for 3x city placement but since you fixed it back to 2x, my world works better than ever!

my only civ problem is france will make 2 cities, culture them out all the way and 300 turns later they never saw the need to build another city. so either france needs a slowdown on its cpt or it needs to build more cities within its borders.

Wow, that's some treasure of info, many thanks :)

Conflicting civs were to be expected. Duplicate civs can be removed from the modpack of choice; they are at least all modular in mine. The Maya and Mapuche I took from ANAC and put in the "Earth" component, so they are only activated when you want to play the included maps.
The DLC behaviour is interesting. I guess if one removes the free versions from my mod, the DLC versions will take over on the map; convenient! The Inca I tried to prevent conflict with ANAC (used most of it to make my version) and changed the tags, which explains why it doesn't overlap with DLC Inca. Not sure that's a good thing, it means someone with Inca DLC has to edit the map to use it. I think I'll revert to the ANAC tags, so whichever mod is installed/loaded first will "win" to get its features applied. (And I'll change the leader.)

I'm always surprised there is compatibility with full fledged modpacks at all! It's not something I'm keen to ensure, as mods keep changing. Though most problems are lua-related, so I put all stuff using lua in separate folders that can be safely disabled/removed with little side effects, for people that don't want to give up their favorite mods. These are NACSM, CultureFromPop and a bit of Thal's in the "Addons" folder.

A map pack for this mod would be nice! :) Not redundant, the map is only 1/3 of the mod components (and it can be disabled); I put more work in the other features and new civs.
I had done some of the enlargements you suggest, though no doubt not as thoroughly. E.g., the case for China sounds very true. Before it founded its second city in the dead center, making it impossible to found more cities 3 tiles around because of the limited land mass. Unfortunately the minimum distance of 2 tiles doesn't solve much. The AI seldom settles at that distance (from its own cities), usually preferring 3 tiles. They do found close to competitors though, so in the case of China, Tibet and/or Mongolia will sweep in and fill the places China won't. Of course leading to war because they are so close :sad: So I doctored the start to make China found a little more east or west, fixing the problem :mischief:

Interesting what you say about Polynesia. I gave them a workboat replacement (available from the start) with scout AI that can enter ocean (my version doesn't have this ability for other units) and, after reading your post, doubled their naval exploration flavor. I'll see what it does. I'd prefer to keep Papua a not very accessible place.

For me the problem with France is that they expand too quickly, taking up the place of the other Euros :crazyeye: I had that problem with Japan though, but now I ramped up their expansion value way higher than any other civ. A modest increase did nothing, but now it seems to work.

Thanks again! :)

In a way I have; if you activate only the first part you get an extended BMF. I don't know yet the best way to market this package. I probably will not be able to upload it as one to the mod browser (35mb!).

I lied - Echoes of Ages and Palace additions do not work together.

Government Building Additions
Building Upgrades
Food Economy
Palace Additions

all work together just fine but Echoes of Ages conflicts with Palace Additions. I am amazed at the depth of how modular this mod is, and i hope it is a tradition that takes over as many civ 5 mods as possible. remember civ4 days? imagine a modular Rhyse and Fall mechanic, Armageddon Counter or Heroes and Explorable Lairs?

Maybe you should look at some of these mods and just incorporate what you feel is viable. i personally like your versions better so its a pain that the others arent modular.

The final "beta" release has arrived. Not much changes compared to the previous version, but I feel this is the one. Thanks to eazyseeker and thadian for their thoughts :goodjob:

I will wait for the patch to (try) upload to the mod browser. Maybe I'll release some of the included civs standalone for promotion. Perhaps I'll take it to 2k forums too :mischief:

Maybe you should look at some of these mods and just incorporate what you feel is viable.
I did - I don't feel they fit into my vision for this mod, so I'm gonna leave them out. You must be some building addict :D

Sorry for that - I replaced it just hours after putting it up after noticing a problem with the Khazar palace (why does this always occur just after giving it the green light?).

I verified again, the download should be OK now. Thanks for your interest :)

This mod looks great, and is probably my fave mod so far (at least out of ones that won't destroy my computer). My one complaint is the Tibetan icon, it doesn't really fit them.

Besides that, great work!

Thank you! If there is anything else, don't hesitate to tell :)

The Tibetan icon may fit better than you think though. I took it from Hukkak's and there it may represent a ship's rudder. But I picked it to represent the Dharmacakra.

Is it just me or are earth maps dead?

Your map wont load in world builder or normal, and all of my own maps i was going to upload today are DEAD. they are like broken files that crash the game when i try to load them, there was a moment around the time that Terra Nostra was discontinued that civ made a patch that killed earth maps.

Did i do something stupid i can undo or what? i will try to check around for answers.

You have already said your mod WILL conflict with some mods, and i posted some that it works well with. It works well with barbarians! as well. I can't get it to work with civUP or VEM but i will live. ive underscored every folder in both mods in every combo, it just doesn't work.

This mod is slowly becoming a favorite of mine and i will continue to post feedback when i can.

No map problems here... Good luck fixing it!

VEM is hopeless, but CiVUP shouldn't be so hard; I thought underscoring the "addons" folder would be enough (as in: only few, non-critical thing break). I will look into it.

Your feedback is much appreciated :)

Ok so I lied about being finished. There's a solid new version available. Here's some important changes:
  • Full compatibility with CiVUP, including percentage-based national wonder requirements.
  • New Cartography tech; to get harbors earlier and increase the minimum distance to the middle ages.
  • Telegraph requires Replaceable Parts: no more mech infantry before regular infantry.
  • Culture options are better laid out in the modern age.
  • New wonder effect: conditional free culture (look here).
  • Included ISS wonder by RoyalAconite (with changed effect).
  • Included 4 wonders by Pouakai and sukritact, though with changed effects.
  • New art for 4 wonders by Sneaks (thanks!).
  • Some new icons by myself, to replace the least good looking.
  • Probably more.

For the CiVUP compatibility please follow the instructions in the readme file included in the zip. I included the results of thadian's compatibility tests in the same file and in the OP (thanks again!).
I will launch this mod officially on the mod browser before Christmas; any feedback is very welcome!

Top Bottom