Looking for help playtesting new Civ

DarkScythe

Hunkalicious Holo
UPDATE:
This Civ has now been officially released!
For those still coming across this page from the various links posted during the closed Beta period, please direct your comments to this new thread.
As I am still continuing development of new features on this Civ, I will continue to look for new Beta testing volunteers. If you would like to help, please post your interest in the new thread linked above.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone!

After almost 4 months of work, and with the 8th version of the beta just published, I am looking for some help getting my very first mod polished up and ready to go. I have been relying on some friends to help with testing thus far, but I am at the stage where I need a slightly larger group for both more feedback, and more availability. I am hoping that if anyone here is interested in helping me with the final push on this Civ, to please let me know -- I sincerely appreciate any assistance.

Essentially, what I need are people who would like to help play with my Civ and provide feedback on balance, any bugs or issues found, flow of gameplay, how it all feels, and any other type of feedback they can think of.

As for some details -- as I teased in this thread, I have been working fairly passionately on a new Spice and Wolf Civilization. To that end, there will be bonus points if anyone who wishes to help test actually is a Spice and Wolf fan; I know I only started work on this because I fell in love with the story after I finished reading the novels.

If anyone is interested, please leave a message here, or send me one via PM, so that I may get in touch with you via Steam. My Civ is currently set to friends-only visibility during this development and testing phase. My Steam profile page is available here, but please do not blind-friend-request me without sending me a message first -- I tend to ignore those.

I anticipate there may be a question of why I won't just release it out into the public if I want an immediate boost to my pool of players, and I have a few reasons for keeping it friends-only for now:

1. First, and foremost, is that I am looking for high-quality feedback, and I feel this is more easily achieved via personal contact, rather than random comments left on a Workshop page complaining about something with no context or any other information.
  2. Along those lines, it is also vastly easier to parse and sort through a limited number of opinions at a time, rather than have a wave of differing ones.
  3. Finally, but also most important to me personally, is that I have a fairly high standard of quality I want to achieve before I make a public release. I dislike things that are cobbled together and are buggy or incomplete, and so I do not wish to turn around and do exactly that. Spice and Wolf deserves more than that.

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me so far to get from absolutely nothing to this point!

P.S.
NOTE: Brave New World required!

Bumping this up a bit since it's been about a week and a half.

I appreciate the people who have contacted me with their interest, and providing invaluable feedback. Since I opened this thread, I have posted the 9th version of my mod up, with several fixes and balance changes based on feedback from the testers.

I think it's in much better shape now than before, though I am still open to adding a few more playtesters into the mix.

One thing I do need to re-iterate though:
Please send me a message before sending me a friend request!

I have received quite a handful of friend requests from people I can only assume are ones who wish to help test, but haven't indicated to me in any way that they wish to do so. I have come to realize that not everyone who comes to this thread may want to register a forum account, since a fair number have arrived here from a link on Steam. This left them with no real recourse in terms of contacting me beforehand.

To that end, I have temporarily made my Steam profile comments public.
If you do not wish to create a forum account here, please simply leave me a message on my profile expressing your interest before sending me a friend request.

Why am I doing this?
Think of it as a playtester's first task. In this development stage, I don't need people to play with the Civ as much as I do people to provide me with feedback about it. This is why I am looking for people who are willing and able to follow simple directives and establish communications with me.

I cannot stress the importance I place currently on being able to communicate directly with people while they are trying to help me.

As always, I wholeheartedly thank everyone who expresses interest, support, or simply stumbles across this thread and reads it.

Version 11 is now out!

It's been quiet since my last update here, but I've just pushed out a new version of this with a few fixes and balance changes.

Thanks to the help of those who have volunteered so far, everything appears to be taking shape; balance is feeling quite good, and bug reports are few and far in between.

I believe I have a tentative release date for my Holo Civ now, but there is still quite a lot of work to do in order to polish it in time.

Still, if anyone else is interested in helping out, feel free to let me know, as I am always on the lookout for more assistance.

Can I help? I know I'm kinda new, but I love Spice and Wolf, so if there's anything I can help with, call me.

Thanks!

Although my Civ has just been publicly released, my Beta is still going to be separate as I have more changes to test before they can be safely rolled into the public / stable build. If you would like to help, feel free to send me a friend request through Steam -- this should allow you access into my Civ's Beta version.

As a reminder, a final post to this thread for those who come in from the links that have been posted during the months leading up to release:

This Civ has been officially released!
This thread will no longer be actively monitored, although I am still taking volunteers to help me Beta test new features and balance with the continuing development of my Civ.
Anyone wishing to help out, please post in the new thread linked above.

Thank you everyone for your support!

Top Bottom