Kerbal Space Program

A quick question related to your ship design: Why do you use decouplers on the Nuke-engines if those are the only ones left? More spacing for less overheat?

I didn't use any decouplers, and looking at the pictures, they didn't sneak on for some reason. Maybe you're looking at the fuel pipes?

Well, I decided to try a dual Mun/Minmus landing mission to test out the power of nuclear engines, because I never got around to using them. The result:Damn, out of fuel. I wasted a lot of fuel getting from Minmus to the Mun, so maybe I could do it without changing the rocket.
You should be able to do both landing with your craft. Quick question:
Can your launcher get you all the way to Kerbin orbit or do you have to use the lander's engines to help you get there before you set off (I'm not talking about the departure stage of your journey, just getting into Kerbin orbit to begin with)?

If the answer is no, you need a better booster to get up into orbit so you don't waste fuel.

Anyways, practice always makes perfect. As does Youtube videos:

Link to video.
Can you give me a quick screenshot example on the compass setting?

Is it like the 0° LINE or a point... or ...??? :confused:

I'll do you one better. Here is the video I told you about earlier. It is a Minmus landing and it covers almost all of the types of burns you will need to use to get around in space. He even gives you the angles to burn at and you can see the navball to confirm.

Link to video.

It just barely misses, I have to use the landing stage for that last kick into orbit. It doesn't take much fuel out of the lander, and it keeps the first stage from orbiting. I still think my biggest problem was with the Mun encounter.

EDIT: Just saw the video. An orbital rendezvous with the Mun is a great idea, I never thought of that.

I have something special for you Antilogic.

Something you need to see, you capitalist dog.

Spoiler :

This is the encounter solution I got after ditching the website's advise and just burning prograde when the sun was about to be overhead.

Oh it get's better.
Spoiler :

After some trajectory corrections, I got it in the ballpark, with fuel to spare. :D

LOL:
Spoiler :

I can hear you crying from orbit.

Coming in hot, thank god for 'chutes:
Spoiler :

Jealous much?
Spoiler :

Some numbers for the record book:
Spoiler :

I'm back from RED Duna baby!

The most frustrating thing about the return from Duna was that my trajectory gave me a Mun encouter. What this meant is that I couldn't see my Peroapsis once I got a Mun enounter, so I couldn't do more efficient burns further from Kerbin, I had to wait until I pass the Mun to do it which wasted a bunch of fuel. In any case though, I made it back safely. :D

Attachments

• BINGO.jpg
    BINGO.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 206
  • almost there.jpg
    almost there.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 148
  • I can see Antilogic's house from here.jpg
    I can see Antilogic's house from here.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 165
  • so close.jpg
    so close.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 151
  • your tears taste so sweet.jpg
    your tears taste so sweet.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 142
  • stats for the record books.jpg
    stats for the record books.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 156
I have something special for you Antilogic.

Something you need to see, you capitalist dog.

Should I post :high5: or :trouble:? (I haven't been able to play in a few days due to RL problems, which is most disappointing.)

Seriously, though, congratulations!

Should I post :high5: or :trouble:? (I haven't been able to play in a few days due to RL problems, which is most disappointing.)

Seriously, though, congratulations!
Thanks! Sorry about your problems, hope all is well. :)

That mission was by far the hardest thing I've done yet, thank god for quicksaves! I found in my situation that after I got the encounter trajectory that burning straight down immediately got me close to Kerbin. Waiting till I was closer took waaaay to much fuel to correct, do it as far away as possible. I could have had a collision trajectory straight away and used almost no fuel if the Mun hadn't got in the way.

Let me know if you want to start a race to Eve and back soon. :)
I think I'll just have to join this Space Race... :mwaha:

The Kerbal's Republic of Khina
Color: Yellow
I got the UKSR, Antilogic has USK. Does this make you and I allies? :mischief:

There is one word the KRK would like to say to other countries:

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTCH

The intrepid crew of Captain Jeb Lee, Bill Wang, and Bob Chan will attempt to land on an undisclosed moon of Jool.

Attachments

• screenshot70.png
    screenshot70.png
    349.6 KB · Views: 161
The crew ran out of fuel before landing, but we got one damn good picture of Laythe.

When the KRK's orbital transferring researchers improve, we will attempt a landing on Duna.

Attachments

• screenshot71.png
    screenshot71.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 233
The Kerbal's Republic of Khina gives you... DUNA!

We will attempt areobraking shortly.

Attachments

• screenshot74.jpg
    screenshot74.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 182
My recent lunar rescue mission was a success. I'm proud not so much as being able to merely succeed on it; I managed to touch down almost precisely upon the crash site of my other kerbal. Good times! :)

I'll do you one better. Here is the video I told you about earlier. It is a Minmus landing and it covers almost all of the types of burns you will need to use to get around in space. He even gives you the angles to burn at and you can see the navball to confirm.

Link to video.

Thank you. =)

So I think a mission to Eve is just on the edge of possibility. However, I found some dissapointing news regarding Moho and Tylo today.

The developers chose to give Moho a thin atmosphere. This causes major problems because the atmosphere coupled with the already extreme heat of the planet means your thrusters overheat even when they are not on and often explode. Getting to Moho can be done, but getting off again is pretty much only doable through mods and hacks. The developers are going to change Moho in .18 to make it more like Mercury so it doesn't have an atmosphere and should thus be easier to return from.

The problem with Tylo is that it has the same gravity of Kerbin, but no atmosphere. So no airbraking, no parachutes. You have to use only your thrusters to land there. That's a real problem when you consider that it is at the Jool system so you burn a lot of fuel getting there. Again, I've only seen or read about people landing there and returning with the help of mods and hacks.

:(

In fact, the youtube channels are dominated by videos that use mods and hacks which is extremely frustrating because I want to play it without all that for now, but I can't find decent tutorials that don't use them.

HOCgaming doesn't use them as far as I can tell and his vids are good. He just doesn't have very many of them up for things I want to do.

Top Bottom