How is your Victoria Game going?

France can be so stupid sometimes. This is literally right after I crushed them.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I'm redownloading Victoria 2 to try and good a firm grasp on the game this time round. My starting nation will probably be either France, Spain or Portugal; a nice, not-too-risky and not-too-hard country to grapple with. Any tips on factories that I should be building? I always seem to choose badly and they all get closed down. :sad:

I'm redownloading Victoria 2 to try and good a firm grasp on the game this time round. My starting nation will probably be either France, Spain or Portugal; a nice, not-too-risky and not-too-hard country to grapple with. Any tips on factories that I should be building? I always seem to choose badly and they all get closed down. :sad:

France is the perfect great power to start with--you have a lot of power that's relatively centralized, not too much stuff overseas to keep track of (that is, until you start colonizing and building your empire yourself).

Generally, cement and other building material factories do great early on, generally liquor and wine will be in high demand due to military demand, machine parts and luxury clothes/furniture are high-value contributors to your industrial score, late game you want to build electrical gear, telephones, barrel (tank), and airplane factories. These are just general guidelines, though--always check your production screen, and mouseover the different goods to see what is in demand and what isn't. It's great that canned goods factories can actually make a profit and stay in business now without subsidies. I don't like ship factories because of the fluctuations in demand based on which nation is building which type of ships.

Take heart: they have balanced the economy to the point where your factories don't struggle as hard to stay in business. And even nations with social reforms can keep their factories open! Your number #1 problem is usually making sure you got raw materials for your factories, so keep resource-rich trade partners in your sphere.

Surely snall arms would be a good choice... everyone needs war weapons do they not?

Knew I forgot something. Small Arms, Artillery, and Canned Food used to all crash due to low profit margins before the 1.4 beta, now they barely make a profit. They are good factories to have for security reasons and won't be as much of a liability as they were in the past (when they could only survive on subsidies). However, if you want big boosts to your industrial score, it's best to go with luxury goods and super-modern techs like telephones, cars, and planes.

Unless that has been changed in the most recent incarnation of the beta as well. Hopefully, this will settle down to a final balance when the expansion is released (and patched).

Maybe it's because it's so early in the game, but I'm having problems looking after my factories. They struggle to get the resources they need (I have a winery and glass factory, coal being the biggest problem) and as such cannot produce on some days. They are making a profit - just - but I want a consistant good profit and goods streaming out onto the market for selling. I think the problem lies in that there is no coal available on the open market (other countries are using it all for themselves?) and my nation, Portugal, doesn't have any coal RGOs. Even the failsafe cement factories are a bit troublesome as they too require cement. I chose wine because I have a lot of fruit RGOs and as people become richer, the demand will increase. But I have two factories and my industrial score is still 0, so something is wrong. :lol:

Maybe it's because it's so early in the game, but I'm having problems looking after my factories. They struggle to get the resources they need (I have a winery and glass factory, coal being the biggest problem) and as such cannot produce on some days. They are making a profit - just - but I want a consistant good profit and goods streaming out onto the market for selling. I think the problem lies in that there is no coal available on the open market (other countries are using it all for themselves?) and my nation, Portugal, doesn't have any coal RGOs. Even the failsafe cement factories are a bit troublesome as they too require cement. I chose wine because I have a lot of fruit RGOs and as people become richer, the demand will increase. But I have two factories and my industrial score is still 0, so something is wrong. :lol:

What's the game year? How many people are working in your factories? The industrial score isn't calculated on just the # of factories alone, but also # of workers and profit generated. You can increase the number of craftsmen by using your national focuses (although I think you can colonize in Africa at the game start since some of the regions already have Portuguese regions), or by waiting for population growth and your RGOs to fill up, after which the people will go to your factories looking for work. You could also try to beat up your artisans by raising middle-class taxes and demoting them to craftsmen, but they might start getting militant and revolt against you. I think the profit factor was toned down because France always skyrocketed to first place with luxury clothes and furniture factories every game.

Portugal doesn't start with impressive prestige, so gaining a few points there so you can buy your resources ahead of the other minors would improve your access to coal in the market. You could try conquering some African or SE Asian country that has coal, although off the top of my head I can't think of one. Maybe Siam, Viet Nam, or one of the other ones up there has a coal RGO, Indonesia has mostly tea and gold mines (which are great in their own right). More coal will also flood onto the market as RGOs start to fill up and nations start developing advanced technologies, so don't despair.

Also, being that you are Portugal, you are probably going to have a little difficulty industrializing. It's not going to happen overnight. ;)

Note: strictly speaking, as a civilized nation or secondary power you sell your coal to the world market, and then you have to buy it back in order of prestige unless you are a great power and have a sphere, in which case you get first crack at your spherelings' resources before they go to the world market. So conquering a source of coal won't necessarily solve your problem. However, winning battles and a war will gain you prestige, which moves you up in the rankings as far as purchasing stuff goes, and when you eventually get to be a great power it will matter.

So my German game is starting to go slow (it's 1923) so I think I'll abandon it, but it was great while it lasted:

World Map:
Spoiler :

Yes that is an independent Indiana and Alaska. The Balkans are a major mess, with Greece, Bulgaria, and Romania being Fascist (Poland is too). While Australia, The Netherlands, the USA and Canada are Communist. (Canada and Australia are no longer dominions). I freed Poland and Belarus from Russia, then Poland turned Fascist and Belarus declared war on them for that one territory (West Galicia I think) and I let them have it.

The German Reich!:
Spoiler :

I own many strategic colonies around the world, Hispanoila, The Panama Canal, Indochina, Shanghai and Jangxing, Iraq and Bahrain, and some of Pakistan, plus some African colonies and New Guinea.

The Ledger (going by Population)
Spoiler :

The Great 8!
Spoiler :

I've been the number one power ever since I formed Germany (1850s-1860s). I did have some trouble in the early 1900s with France almost over taking me, but then they started to slow in growth while I sped up and now I have an alright lead. My army is also the 3rd largest, behind Russia and China.. I've also successfully surrounded France with Allies, Spain is my ally, as is the UK, and Belgium, and Switzerland is in my SoI.

Which version/mods are you playing? Your scores seem a little low and there aren't too many nations in the SoI. I usually add as many as possible and the AIs tend to do so as well.

Otherwise, looks like an intense game. I'm looking to do another German and Italian unification game once AHD comes out. Most creative proposal so far is to take Bavaria or Hannover to GP status, then accept the crown from the gutter, then somehow unite the rest of Germany behind them.

Which version/mods are you playing? Your scores seem a little low and there aren't too many nations in the SoI. I usually add as many as possible and the AIs tend to do so as well.

Otherwise, looks like an intense game. I'm looking to do another German and Italian unification game once AHD comes out. Most creative proposal so far is to take Bavaria or Hannover to GP status, then accept the crown from the gutter, then somehow unite the rest of Germany behind them.

Its PDM (I believe). PDM has a event chain from the New Nations Mod that causes the breakup of the union if the US goes non-democratic, that is why Alaska and Indiana are independent.

Its PDM (I believe). PDM has a event chain from the New Nations Mod that causes the breakup of the union if the US goes non-democratic, that is why Alaska and Indiana are independent.

I don't know why, but I thought I saw vanilla colors. On second look, those are definitely PDM colors.

Well, with the US communist, there goes the Union.
Yeah California, Deseret, Wisconsin AND The Midwest Union (in Colorado) declared independence but were defeated, The US hasnt Declared war on Indiana or Alaska yet.

PDM.
And I had more to my SoI- Scandinavia, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Spain but then they all became great powers at one time or another removing them from my SoI. I've also tried to Get Austria but they hate me after all the wars I have fought against them (with Italy)

Yeah it does.

Top Bottom