UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they use the franchise name when it's nothing like the franchise? Boggles the ing mind.

Well...it's not X-COM. It's XCOM. They hid the dash in the "COM" part.
Still, it's not X-COM. Dumbed down, bad art design, to much focus on "pew-pew" and plenty of bad design choices. Firaxis knows about X-COM as much as i know about math - almost nothing.
If you want a true X-COM successor - try Xenonauts.
http://www.xenonauts.com/

Sounds like most of Firaxis remakes. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates! but they don't really put enough time and manpower into them and play it extremely safe instead of taking them to the next level.

Sounds like most of Firaxis remakes. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates! but they don't really put enough time and manpower into them and play it extremely safe instead of taking them to the next level.

Would have been cool to play a pirate in the East Indies

Well...it's not X-COM. It's XCOM. They hid the dash in the "COM" part.
Still, it's not X-COM. Dumbed down, bad art design, to much focus on "pew-pew" and plenty of bad design choices. Firaxis knows about X-COM as much as i know about math - almost nothing.
If you want a true X-COM successor - try Xenonauts.
http://www.xenonauts.com/

Or I could play a game that feels like X-Com but updated (and will actually come out) which is what we've been wanting for the past 25 years.

So the only two things not moving over from the first game I've noticed is destructible floors and base invasions (probably). Where is the Firaxis game not like X-com again?

All these remakes that have been coming out of the media lately are really getting old.

I don't care, the 1994 original was superior and probably will be superior.

I would rather see Firaxis take an idea that worked in UFO: Enemy Unknown and make that into a new, innovative game, rather than remaking a game from a past generation into a current monstrosity.

*sigh*

Anyone recall the June 2000 edition of PC Gamer? Featured 12 complete games on one CD, and UFO: Enemy Unknown was one of those games.

I am EXTREMELY excited to finally see a serious remake of the original.
This is so overdue. And to watch interviews of the design team liking the original and how they're trying to be careful to remodel the original aliens (plus add their own) just has me more interested.
It's too late for me... I can't wait to see the finished product :)

In all honesty this looks better than the Rockstar-inspired game that 2k games was showing last year. Not that there's anything wrong with "X-files"-Noire, but I like something more like first X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

I prefer to be an optimist, and not assume the game will be crap. I think it will be a decent game. As good as the original? Not likely. And yes I realize we as consumers should not just "settle" for less. But let's face it, the customers aren't settling. Most consumers do want dumbed down simple games. The companies are giving them what they ask for. Us more hardcore gamers have no say how these games get made.

So don't be expecting a game like the original X-com which required days to complete. It's not going to happen. They just don't design games for "us" anymore. They design them for the masses who don't have the mental functions to complete complex games.

That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic that they will include options more hardcore gamers will like. I can't see why it isn't possible to design a game that appeals to both casual gamers and hardcore gamers. I know it can be done if they put in the effort.

You can now preorder the game on Steam, and if enough people preorder you can also get a free copy of civ5.

Man, pre-order bonuses just keep getting worse and worse.

I prefer to be an optimist, and not assume the game will be crap. I think it will be a decent game. As good as the original? Not likely. And yes I realize we as consumers should not just "settle" for less. But let's face it, the customers aren't settling. Most consumers do want dumbed down simple games. The companies are giving them what they ask for. Us more hardcore gamers have no say how these games get made.

So don't be expecting a game like the original X-com which required days to complete. It's not going to happen. They just don't design games for "us" anymore. They design them for the masses who don't have the mental functions to complete complex games.

That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic that they will include options more hardcore gamers will like. I can't see why it isn't possible to design a game that appeals to both casual gamers and hardcore gamers. I know it can be done if they put in the effort.

Just saw the preview on the CivFanatics homepage, and I'm cautiously unimpressed - the final sequence in particular makes it look like an effort at a superhero game more than anything else. Not a fan of giving the characters roleplay-like 'promotions' or classes as indicated will happen - so much of the storybuilding in X-Com came from having generally unexceptional human who gradually became better-able to survive what was thrown at them, but who never turned into superhuman characters (psionics aside). None of which is likely to stop me trying it.

How about more than an hour of gameplay with the developers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP4YmExQAE

My impressions from this is that it looks as though it could be a good game with X-COM like elements, but that it has nothing of the feel of an X-COM game. If anything it looks more like Dawn of War II, only with individual soldiers rather than squads.

Most of my concern comes from Firaxis' previous sequels and remakes over the last decade. While fun and not too bad, none of them really tried to go beyond what the original did and in many ways they took steps backwards or dumbed down and simplified aspects.

Most of my concern comes from Firaxis' previous sequels and remakes over the last decade. While fun and not too bad, none of them really tried to go beyond what the original did and in many ways they took steps backwards or dumbed down and simplified aspects.

This isn't a Firaxis phenomenon, it's the general industry approach and, in fairness, it's not new. On topic for this thread, X-COM: Terror from the Deep was a lot longer and tougher than Enemy Unknown, but it was very much the same game reskinned and didn't do anything to develop the game engine. Sequels have almost always had more to do with rewriting the existing code for higher-spec machines than with genuinely expanding on what went before, let alone improving on it.

Or look at the most recent Total War game (not counting the - ugh - mobile phone one), Shogun 2; compared with its two immediate predecessors it has reduced micromanagement, automatic teching (rather than needing to manage researchers and research buildings), heavily simplified tech trees, many fewer building types, fewer factions generally with fewer unique traits and units, less characterful, Diablo-style uplevelling instead of traditional TW character development, less decision-making in combat (most units have only one or two unlockable abilities, as opposed to formations you could research and that most units could use in Empire) and centralised provincial management in place of needing to garrison and manage individual settlements within a province. There's only one 'class' of unhappiness rather than two, and unlike still older TW games you don't need to manage growth in provinces in order to unlock new building techs or building 'slots', you just need to have enough money to upgrade.

Though whatever one's perspective on Civ V vs. Civ IV (or indeed Civ IV vs. Civ III, which would also be covered by the above generalisation), in that specific instance it's hard to claim that the game has been simplified or 'dumbed down' in any significant aspect compared with Civs I & II - gameplaywise the first two games will always be the classics, but they are much, much simpler mechanically and with many fewer strategic options.

Incidentally, the tip on the thread that the original X-Com games are on Steam prompted me to pick them up - wow has this game stood the test of time well. As quaintly pixellated as the graphics are, and as clunky as the interface is, it's every bit as engrossing as I remember (while a brief run with Master of Orion a while back persuaded me that in that case it might be for the best to leave it to nostalgia. No, as a 4x space game it still hasn't been surpassed, but that is one game where the interface really shows its age).

As for the new one, I'd probably rather they didn't market it as an X-COM game, especially when doing such bizarre things as turning Cyberdiscs into transforming spider robots, but if someone were to design a modern game inspired by X-COM, it looks pretty much what I'd like them to come up with.

There's the annoying Diablo uplevelling, the overdone super techs, and the spoonfeeding interface ("this is a wall, but in case you hadn't noticed, or didn't realise it's hard for enemies to shoot through walls, we've stuck a cover icon there for ease of reference" - and if Civ V is any guide, there won't be an option to disable this kind of unwanted "help"), all of which seem to be necessary evils in modern games (I was annoyed when the Civ series added Diablo-style promotions in either III or IV, though I've grown used to it), but I expect it's something I'll pick up and enjoy while thinking about it as something other than an X-COM game (like the various latter-day Apocalypse knock-offs a few years back - Aftershock and so forth). Probably when the price drops below $50 (not least because I can pick up a pack of the original 5 X-COM games - only the first of which I ever completed, and one of which - Enforcer - I'd never previously owned or wanted, but which is a good deal coming with the original three plus the entertaining, and no classic but nevertheless underrated Interceptor, and so giving me many hours of play even before I get onto the replay value).

Last night I had a dream that I was being chased by a Cyber Disk. I had shot at a bunch of times with a laser rifle (the best weapon to damage a Cyber Disk) so I think it was on it's last proverbial legs but it just kept coming. Slowly but steadily. I ran through dark alleyways and climbed fences with barbed wire. Eventually I swam across the lake to Toronto (future site of Mega Primus). I was running over highways and through a hospital, and I hadn't seen the Cyber Disk for a long time but I had no idea if it was miles away or right behind me.

So I'm looking forward to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom