Dragon Age III: Inquisition

I agree with Akka overall I think. ME3 was a great game, one that I do no regret playing in the slightest, but certain issues here and there, the lackluster (though not completely terrible) ending in particular means I won't be going back in the near future.

That said, ME and DA are different Dev teams with minimal influence on each other.

At the risk of getting off topic, I don't understand all the backlash against the original ending. I guess there were two main issues- one people wanted shepard to survive (apparently he can if you unlock a particular ending). Which I don't really get. Having shepard sacrifice himself and become a legend in the universe I thought was an appropriate way to tie things up. I mean there isn't a 4 coming. The trilogy is done, did people want shepard to retire and have kids or something? Doesn't make sense to me.

The other issue was people felt like there was no synopsis for the other characters. This I understand more because you've develop relationships with your crew, you are genuinely interested in their fates. But again I'm not too torn up about not knowing what happens to them because it's the end and the main story was about shepard and the reapers.

If you want to talk about potential I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at. The combat was improved, the powers and talent points were improved. I was a little disappointed they didn't develop the conversations and relationships more, it was basically the same options as 2.

Hu no, the issue was that the original ending :

1) Revealed a completely ******ed global scenario (the reason of existence for the Reaper just made me /facewall, and there is endless memes about it).

2) The entire ending sequence was just nonsensical, weird and disjointed.

3) It was a copy-paste of Deus Ex ones, but without the background which made them good (the synthesis one is particularly ridiculous and shoehorned in).

4) It completely ignored all your decisions except the last one - which is especially annoying as, being the last game and having no continuity to bother with, it could really have gone wild with the divergence.

5) All three endings were nearly the same (the joke about the only difference beeing the colour of the ray was barely an exageration and also gave birth to endless memes).

6) Basically there was no explanation at what actually happened, no closure and no seeing of the consequences - both for the characters, as you said, but also not for the entire rest of the galaxy. You see some big rays, you see some Reaper explode/stop attacking, then you see some psychedelic stuff coming out of the blue and bang, finish, WTF ?

Hard to see how there could NOT have backlash against it. Shepard's life or death is a pretty minor point overall (I'm completely neutral on this, as I find both the "heroic sacrifice" and the "hero so badass that even THIS can't kill him" are in tune with the tone of the trilogy.

At the risk of getting off topic, I don't understand all the backlash against the original ending. I guess there were two main issues- one people wanted shepard to survive (apparently he can if you unlock a particular ending). Which I don't really get. Having shepard sacrifice himself and become a legend in the universe I thought was an appropriate way to tie things up. I mean there isn't a 4 coming. The trilogy is done, did people want shepard to retire and have kids or something? Doesn't make sense to me.

The other issue was people felt like there was no synopsis for the other characters. This I understand more because you've develop relationships with your crew, you are genuinely interested in their fates. But again I'm not too torn up about not knowing what happens to them because it's the end and the main story was about shepard and the reapers.

If you want to talk about potential I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at. The combat was improved, the powers and talent points were improved. I was a little disappointed they didn't develop the conversations and relationships more, it was basically the same options as 2.

Shep can survive if you gather more than X war assets; originally it was promised that you could acquire enough points for it via single player only if you did everything. This turned out to be false; it was originally impossible to obtain enough points without playing some degree of multiplayer (Extended Cut lowered the requirement to a level where you could get it, and the DLCs have made it much easier to get to that point).

But that's secondary. The whole backstory to the Reapers was frankly stupid, and you didn't even learn that much about them, so their origins were still pretty heavily shrouded in mystery. The only real thing you learned was why they were created, and that is a terrible, terrible reason. Leviathan later fleshed them out a bit more, but Leviathan is not worth $10.

The lack of any real resolution is a pretty major point. Mass Effect 2's entire thing was basically getting to know and care about certain characters. And then that's just left abandoned. Nothing about the post-war period is mentioned at all.

The three endings were almost identical. Blue, red, green; there were small adjustments, but overall pretty much everything was the same no matter what you chose. And while red and blue were alright (although I felt blue had some pretty problems), green was just out of nowhere, and though it would appear that its supposed to be the "best" ending, it doesn't make any sense from any direction, not to mention the fact it ultimately doesn't solve any real problems. There was no sense of closure; the Crucible fired and then the credits rolled.

Then there's the kid. I hated the kid. Not in the way I hated Kai Leng; I recognized I was supposed to hate Kai Leng and I went along with that gladly. But the intention was for me to care about the kid. I didn't care one bit. I did not like the game trying to force me to care about a character whose name I don't know, who appeared for less than five minutes, with the only reason given is because he's a child Shep couldn't save. The Reapers are invading; there's going to be a lot of people Shep cannot save. Not like there was anything that could have been done anyways; the kid got to the evacuation area and his shuttle was shot down. The recurring dream sequences focusing on the kid didn't endear him to me either. While I thought some of the dream bits were good, the fact that they centered around the kid and rather than the people I had actually grown to care about over the previous game(s) annoyed me.

I really hated the kid.

I guess I didn't think about it that deeply. When you put it that way, ok I'm pissed off at the ending too lol. Dang, you ruined it for me! I always thought the reasoning of the reapers was fine but you're right, there isn't enough backstory.

The ME3 endings were hardly any worse than the other ME ending, which basically showed the same end cinematic, with some minor variations and everything.

Spoiler :
Recover collector base? Blue explosion! Destroy it? Explosion explosion! Yes, ME3's ending sucked, this was much better!!!

The ME3 endings were hardly any worse than the other ME ending, which basically showed the same end cinematic, with som minor variations and everything.

Spoiler :
Recover collector base? Blue explosion! Destroy it? Explosion explosion! Yes, ME3's ending sucked, this was much better!!!

The difference being that since ME2 still needed to lead into ME3, the endings couldn't be that different. In addition, that doesn't address the closure isssue at all, or the issue with the kid, or the fact that the explanation about the Reaper's background is terrible.

ME3 was the last in the trilogy; the endings could have diverged wildly, and it was promised (or at least implied) that this would be the case. Plus ME2's real ending would be Arrival, imo.

Sorry. EA is on my list.

SimCity was finally too far. F*ck'em, basically.

I have absolutely no interest in giving Bioware a cent and the announcements have solidified it for me. The Witcher 3 will be the game for me :)

I have absolutely no interest in giving Bioware a cent and the announcements have solidified it for me. The Witcher 3 will be the game for me :)

A fair statement, but I honestly could never get into Witcher. It just seemed lackluster for some reason, which I find odd considering most people absolutely loved it. I have a similar problem with Fallout. I have a completely irrational dislike towards a few games most people love. :dunno:

I must say however, which announcements in particular actually made you shy away from the game? Most of what I've personally heard is exactly what I've wanted to hear. Unless I've missed something?

It wasn't that the announcements turned me off, it was that nothing they announced could come even CLOSE to making me even consider buying it after DA 2, and DA Awakening DLC, even though playable Quinari is like my DREAM scenario. DAO was at one time, one of my top 15 games I'd say, but the absolute atrocity that was 2 has killed any joy I had for the series.

I could forgive the bad story, the terrible dialogue, and the overabundance of male on male or female on female (Its the middle ages in a religious society, this is ridiculous). But what I couldn't forgive was how LAZY they got. You could talk to your companions anywhere in DAO, and alot of NPCs you could talk to as well. In Awakening and DA2 it was just like NOPE NOPE NOPE. HAVE SOME TERRIBLE NPCs. While DAO was a Top 15 pick, Awakening remains the biggest waste of $30 I have spent, and DA2 is one of my five worst games I have ever played in all time. I have nothing but loathing for Bioware as a company, and I personally hope that nobody buys this game so that long term this terrible cancer of a company will collapse sooner rather than later.

Edit: Announcements/Scenarios that could make me buy/play the game:

1. Bioware is no longer making the game
2. Bioware loses money for every purchase of the game

So, because they released one bad game, you want them to go bankrupt? What I fail to understand about opinions like this is these people typically loved the first games in the series, typically made by the same company, and usually (not always) the same people. Did I like DA 2? Of course not. But I did like DA:O, and it is for that reason I'm hoping DA:I will be good. I'm not going to pre-order. I'm going to wait for user reviews. But if DA:I turns out like DA:O rather than DA2, I would be more than happy to give the series another chance after how amazing DA:O was.

Not just DA, it was what they did to Mass Effect as well :p Then the whole Hamburger Helper thing, their response to it, just left a really sour taste in my mouth. I honestly think Bioware does great first games (KotOR, ME, DAO) but then their sequels fall woefully short :/

Not just DA, it was what they did to Mass Effect as well :p Then the whole Hamburger Helper thing, their response to it, just left a really sour taste in my mouth. I honestly think Bioware does great first games (KotOR, ME, DAO) but then their sequels fall woefully short :/

KotOR 2 and ME2 are both superior to the originals (unless you meant TOR, in which case I can't comment; Bioware didn't make KotOR2 anyway).

And while I understand (and share) your dislike of DA2, what was wrong with Awakening? It was buggy, to be sure, but still a good addition imo.

KotOR 2 and ME2 are both superior to the originals (unless you meant TOR, in which case I can't comment; Bioware didn't make KotOR2 anyway).

And while I understand (and share) your dislike of DA2, what was wrong with Awakening? It was buggy, to be sure, but still a good addition imo.
Awakening was just terrible. It was fightfightfight in a monty haul circus (thanks crappy level scaling for that) and a bad story with bad immersion and bad (and scarce) dialogues.
The only character from DAO they brought back, was the most horrible one. Yay. Seriously, it was even way worse than DA2.

Awakening was just terrible. It was fightfightfight in a monty haul circus (thanks crappy level scaling for that) and a bad story with bad immersion and bad (and scarce) dialogues.
The only character from DAO they brought back, was the most horrible one. Yay. Seriously, it was even way worse than DA2.

While I'm one of those weird people who thinks DA2 was a very good game (not perfect, but I thoroughly enjoy it), I agree with you on Awakenings. Crap story, bad fights, stupid design decisions - for example, why can't you import a game from DA:O, yet start a new warden? Several of the epilogue dialogue options in Origins would imply that the original warden wouldn't accept the post as warden commander (eg, going off to travel the world), and of course, the warden might well be dead. Yet the only way to start a new character in Awakenings is to throw away your actions in Origins and start with a generic background. About the only good thing about Awakenings is the fact that is has the best party member in the series*: Sigrun

*excluding Dog of course :p

I forgot that Awakening makes a whole lot less sense once you take into account the ending choices you can take. I found the idea of its plot (the darkspawn civil war and sentience among the darkspawn) to be rather interesting, and I liked that bit where you passed judgement on the crimes and disputes of Amaranthine in your capacity as Warden-Commander and therefore Arl/Arlessa of Amaranthine.

I don't much mind Oghren, though I'll admit he wouldn't be my first choice to have been carried over to Awakening. On the other hand, I did like Nathaniel and Anders (at least until DA2), Sigrun was good, and I thought Justice was interesting.

Its been a while but I remember my main problem with it being how buggy it was. I was never able to obtain Vigilance on my main Warden because the quest with the bones just never triggered.

My thooughts on it may be the result of the facct I got it via the Ultimate Edition at very cheap.

Top Bottom