TSG1 Game in Progress

My game continued:

Spoiler :
Turn 55:

Budapest decides it wants a nearby barbarian encampment destroyed. Might look into that...

Turn 56:

Antium is founded! Rush a worker in it immediately to improve the Iron resource nearby.

Turn 58:

Worker in Rome gets captured by Barbarians because my dumbass wasn't paying enough attention :( Also lost an exploring Warrior to Barbarians.

Turn 59:

Met Almaty.

Turn 61:

Discover Old Faithful. Three more wonders left to find apparently.

Turn 63:

Meet Oda. Any more civs out there?

Turn 66:

Find Odas borders, trade Open Borders for Open Borders so I can see what he's got.

Turn 67:

Bismarck ends our Pact of Cooperation because I'm too close to his borders. Ah well, you won't have to worry about that for too long my friend ;)

Turn 70:

Recapture my worker :) Also clear out a Barbarian encampment that Budapest was targetting, causing me to become friends with them.

Turn 71:

Met the Aztecs. Monty a bit intimidating eh?

Turn 74:

Pact of Cooperation sign with Oda. Do these things actually mean anything at all?

Turn 85:

Discover Persia. That's all of them it would seem :)

Turn 92:

Two of my Legions, a Scout, and my Great General are within a tile of Germany's borders, their second city, Hamburg, to be exact. They're still using Warriors. Time for a war I think :D

Turn 93:

Found where Darius is at, Open Borders, GO!

Turn 94:

Hamburg is now a puppet state of Rome. I seriously overestimated how much resistance the city itself would put up. Next stop: Berlin.

Turn 99:

Berlin falls; that's the end of Germany. Who's next? :D

Turn 102:

Found the Aztec's city (again, just one?). Only China left to find.

Turn 105:

Turns out the Aztecs have two cities after all :p

Turn 106:

Found China at last! Wow, China, the Aztecs and Persia all seem very close to each other.

Turn 121:

Declared war on Darius.

Turn 127:

Taken Persia's capital city.

Turn 128:

Made peace with Persia, got some gold out of it. Might as well, I only need the capital cities to win.

Turn 132:

Declared war on the Aztecs.

Turn 136:

Captured the Aztec capital. Tried for peace, but he wasn't having any of it.

Turn 138:

Now he's made peace, and even given me two cities! I took the deal, not realising it's push my happiness over the edge. Whoops! I'll have to raze one.

Turn 142:

War declared on China.

Turn 143:

Shanghai razed.

Turn 146:

Beijing captured. Only Japan to go.

Turn 148:

Peace made with China.

Turn 154:

Japan decided to finish off the Aztecs. I'll be doing the same to them shortly :p

Turn 155:

Declared war on Japan.

Turn 158:

Victory!

These are first 150 turns of my first GotM ever.

Spoiler :
I started by settling in place (good starting location) and since the goal was an early domination victory, I decided to be agressive.

I found two city states and Bismarck quickly but after that I couldn't find other civs because Bismarck was blocking the way to the east. So after founding Antium I made some spears and archers and declared war on Bismarck.

He didn't have a single unit so I managed to raze Munich and capture Hamburg and Berlin without losing units. It was turn 93 when I took Bismarck out of the game.

After that successful war I sent my army to explore the east and they found lots of city states but other civs were quite far away. Finally I met Darius and found his capital.

There wasn't any units defending it so I decided to declare war. I captured Persepolis with spears and horsemen but I lost two spears.

It was turn 126 and I had five cities and three capitals so the game was going pretty well.

At this time I had researched iron working and mathematics so it was time to make some ballistas. I also started to beeline for steel.

Now I have 2 ballistas, 1 spearman and 4 horsemen near Persepolis so I'm going to attack Montezuma soon. My first longswordsman is trained after couple of turns .

All in all this game is going pretty well and domination victory isn't hard to get because my army is so much better than other civs'.

Right so its Turn 165...

Spoiler :

First thing: I hate the map. So many hills and its all snakey, very annoying to go by land which I have.

I opened up with grabbing Calendar and Fishing to boost my economy then nabbed Writing for GL to jump Metal Casting. After that is was a basic b-line to Crossbowmen and then to Riflemen. As of now I have just finished Steel.

My basic plan of attack has been to march forward with my army/squad of 2 Legions, 2 Crossbowmen and GG and steamroll everything. Following behind them is a long line of workers making a giant road that any reinforcements I may need can travel on and behind them are my settlers who I just sit down along the road to add to my income. It's ridiculous.

So far Germany and Japan have fallen to my unstoppable wall of death, and now that I have Longsword Men, they will be falling even faster.

Given the settings I'm leaning towards early domination. Plan is going to be:

* Tech AH to see if we can abuse horseman
* Tech Iron Working for sweet UU's

Condensed writeup:
Spoiler :

Turn 0: Settle in place
Turns 37-61: Build horseman
Turn 65: Declare war on Germany!
Turn 66: Capture Berlin
Turn 70: Capture Hamburg and raze it. Germans eliminated
Turn 83: Capture Tyre
Turn 84: Hook up iron and start upgrading warriors to legions
Turn 92: Complete Stonehenge
Turn 98: Capture Monaco
Turn 102: Declare war on Japan!
Turn 105: Capture Tokyo
Turn 107: Complete Hanging Gardens
Turn 108: Nobunaga offers me 100g, Osaka(4), 6 horses, and gold. I accept.
Turn 117: DECLARE WAR ON MONTEZUMA!
Turn 118: Complete Great Library, picking up Steel, start upgrading legion->longsword
Turn 120: Capture Tenochtitlan. Aztecs eliminated
Turn 123: Declare war on Persia!
Turn 125: Capture Susa and Ecbatana
Turn 127: Complete Oracle, picking up Military Tradition
Turn 130: Capture Persepolis and Pasargadae. Persians eliminated
Turn 134: Capture Almaty
Turn 139: Declare war on Wu Zetian!
Turn 142: Capture Beijing. China eliminated
Turn 146: Declare war on Japan.
Turn 148: Capture Kyoto. Japan eliminated. I win domination victory.

And the super long turn-by-turn writeup with a couple screenshots:
Spoiler :

Turn 0: Start looks pretty amazing so we'll sip. Start building a warrior to go beat up on barbs. Explored south a bit and found tundra so going to loop around north. Start teching AH.
Turn 7: Free pottery from a hut!
Turn 8: Woo horses in second ring! Set tech to Wheel->HBR
Turn 10: Build worker to improve horses
Turn 14: Meet Germany's scout to the north
Turn 20: Unlock Honor tree
Turn 22: Switch to warrior to take care of pesky barbs hanging out near horses
Turn 24: I find Berlin, which doesn't appear to have any resources at all aside from cows, I'm tempted to skip his capital when I go on my killing spree but we shall see :D
Turn 28: Finish warrior, resume worker
Turn 29: *Goes back to announcement thread to confirm this is indeed small pangaea. Confirmed. Where are all the other AI's? On the other side of Bismark? Hopefully he opens borders soon or I'll have to find another way to get through him* Worker heads to horses and work starts on a monument to get those social policies
Turn 30: Thinking of settling near Bismark to claim the Marble+Sugar. To that end, I declare on Venice and claim their worker for my own :D
Spoiler :

Turn 33: Finish HBR, go for IW
Turn 34: Accept OB with Bismark and head my warrior through his territory
Turn 37: Monument finishes the same time horses get hooked up, start training horseman! Also I need something for my worker to do, so I buy the wheat tile followed by the horse tile (pretty cheap too, tiles with resources get a discount) and get to work on the other horses.
Turn 43: Take Discipline as my next policy
Turn 45: First horseman out, start on another one
Turn 54: Golden age! These next two horses should come out super fast!
Turn 57: Bismark settled Hamburg on the desert hill next to the marble. I was trying to pay attention and watch for settlers but I was a bit lax apparently.
Turn 61: Silk forest finishes chopping and completes the last horseman, switch to a settler.
Turn 64: IW finished, and we see...6 iron near Berlin! I guess that capital will be useful after all! Switch to calendar to get Rome's resources hooked up.
Turn 65: Declare war on Germany!
Turn 66: Three horseman attack Berlin and take it. I puppet for now but I will probably annex it so I can buy the iron tile and build a work boat to hook up the whales.
Turn 67: Settler completes and is sent up north. Work begins on a granary. Also cleared an encampment for Budapest with whom we are now friends with.
Turn 68: Adopt Military Caste. My reasoning is that I will hopefully find more AI cities to conquer and will also likely take out some city states along the way, and will want to upgrade my warriors to swords when the iron is hooked up. Actually I just realized I should have taken out Venice when I got my second or third horseman...
Turn 70: Take Hamburg and raze it. The Germans are no more! Now if only I could find the rest of the AI.
Turn 72: Finish Calendar, start improving Rome's silk, tech Sailing.
Turn 74: I meet Warsaw! They have pearls nearby but so does Tyre. Maybe I should just take them both over? Undecided at this point.
Turn 77: Free warrior from Budapest, yay! Send him down to take out more barbs. Finished sailing so Rome churns out a couple workboats to improve those fish. Switch tech to masonry (also I changed my mine about my next settler and am going southeast of Berlin to get marble and sugar in the first ring, also iron in second ring as opposed to horses. Even the advisor thinks this is a good spot~). I annex Berlin to start building a workboat and buy the iron tile.
Spoiler :

Turn 78: Took out barbs near Warsaw, kept the worker and set it up to my settling spot. Scouted out Tyre a bit better and they actually have pearls inside their border so I am thinking of hitting them next. Also, I just met Singapore and China!
Turn 80: Attacking a barb spawns a great general! Declare war on Tyre since I have two horses here and waiting for the rest to show up (Which causes Singapore to declare on me, as well as Monaco who I haven't met yet). Might as well get this warrior out of the way now. Also found Antium in the previously mentioned spot and begin work on a monument.
Turn 81: Improve whales near Berlin and switch back to monument.
Turn 82: Rome finished second workboat, beginning Stonehenge because I think our military will be fine with warriors->swords, and because Budapest wants us to, and to inflate my score. Teching Archery->Math for ballistas.
Turn 83: I take Tyre and annex it immediately, forgetting I have to wait for resistance before I can build workboat, oh well.
Turn 84: Iron is hooked up! Upgrade one warrior but have to wait for the rest to come back from barb busting. Berlin works on more horseman.
Turn 88: We meet Japan!
Turn 91: Finished Mathematics, should probably tech Writing. Tyre gets the workboat out for the pearls and beings a monument.
Turn 92: Stonehenge complete! Might as well go for Hanging Gardens with all these cities I've got now. Take over Singapore and puppet them, adding dyes to my list of luxuries.
Turn 93: Berlin finishes horseman, starts on ballista.
Turn 94: We meet Darius! Writing is finished, teching Philosophy for juicy wonders.
Turn 95: MONTEZUMA!
Turn 98: Take over Monaco because they declared war on me and they were in the way. I see Japan's borders nearby. I consider hitting him next before he gets samurai.
Turn 99: Antium finishes monument, starts ballista. Finish teching Philosophy and go Construction->Engineering for lumber mills.
Turn 101: Tyre starts up a ballista, using the last of my iron until Antium's border pops.
Turn 102: Adpot Professional Army. Declare war on Japan!
Turn 105: Tokyo falls. Berlin finishes a ballista which slowly makes its way to the front lines, start making another horseman. Detour tech to trapping for the deer in Tokyo.
Turn 107: I finish Hanging Gardens! Rome begins Great Library, I'm thinking of trying to pick up Steel if I can get it.
Turn 108: Nobunaga offers me 100g, Osaka(4), 6 horses, and gold. I accept. There are plenty of other targets I can work on.
Turn 114: Either Montezuma only has one city, or he's done a really good job of hiding his second one. Guess I know who I'm going for.
Turn 117: Geronimo finally makes it to the front lines, DECLARE WAR ON MONTEZUMA!
Turn 118: Great Library complete, I pick STEEL as my free tech! Might as well go Oracle now, why not? Teching towards Chivalry to upgrade all these horseman.
Turn 120: Tenochtitlan is mine! And just like that, Montezuma is no more.
Turn 121: For my new policy I decide to keep working on honor and unlock Warrior Code. Since my capital is so far away from the battle, I decide to burn him on a golden age instead.
Turn 123: Declare war on Persia!
Turn 125: Susa and Ecbatana fall! Legions are promptly upgraded to longswords.
Turn 127: Oracle complete! Pick up Military Tradition to finish off the Honor tree. Rome does work boat followed by library. Berlin also starts a library.
Turn 129: Rome switches to horseman to kill off pesky barbs.
Turn 130: Persepolis and Pasargadae fall, and that marks the end of Persia. Also my empire is now at 4 unhappiness, and while it may not be the best use of gold, I buy a colosseum in Rome to mitigate the effects.
Turn 134: I take out Almaty because they're in the way, and they have gems. Onward to China!
Turn 138: I buy another colosseum in Tyre so I can pull garrisons out to fight. Almost have my army set up on China's borders. I expect her to come complaining about it any turn now. Finished Chivalry and pick optics since I can complete it in one turn. Compass after that to get some trade routes hooked up, although I'm still netting +30 without any. Not sure what to do about policies since this should be wrapped up soon, so I pick up piety for the bonus happiness.
Turn 139: Declare war on Wu Zetian. She calls me an uncivilized brute.
Turn 142: Beijing falls, it was her only city. What has she been doing this entire game? Anyway the people are unhappy so I burn another great general to not hurt my golden agre progress (not that it really matters at this point).
Turn 146: And finally, declare war on Japan.
Turn 148: Kyoto falls, I win domination victory.

Alright, Victory on Turn 201. Now lets review. Since I'm kind of new to this I forgot to write down the Turns a lot of stuff happened on but Ill try to give a detailed dexcription instead.

Spoiler :

Tech:
My opening move was to rush Calendar and Sailing. Not only would this boost my economy but would also allow me to utilize Triremes, which I completely neglected to do. I then grabbed Writing for the GL so I could pop Metal Casting. I next b-lined for Iron Working. After I finished that and was able to pop Metal Casting I went straight for Machinery, not for the Crossbowmen, but for the move bonus on roads. Following that I went straight for Riflemen. I was able to use a GS to pop Metallurgy which allowed me to finish Rifiling 3 turns or so before victory.

Social Policy:
Honor-> Warrior Code-> Discipline-> Military Tradition-> Patronage-> Commerce-> Trade Unions-> Naval Tradition

Strategy:
I... really didn't have one. In all honesty the computers lack of aggression and incompetence really slowed me down. My normal strategy is to turtle for 50-100 Turns and let the AI build my future cities for me which sadly crippled me when Bismark was so slow to expand on this difficulty. My other mistake was not using my navy properly.

Since I had rushed Fishing I should have made 1-2 Triremes and taken care of Bismark before turn 60 instead of around turn 120. My other mistake was also not using the inland sea to hop across to the other side, granted i couldn't know at the time that the land route was such a disaster.

My next mistake was building my own cities for 'fun'. I didn't even need them for resource grabbing. Allying with the CS nearby gave me access to 2 Iron which is all I used for 80% of the game and future cities would give me more than I could even have a use for. This would have made my Culture go up faster which would have made my army progress a little bit faster (The sooner I can get through the 4 essentials in Honor, the better)

My next mistake was part of my Teching path... I really didn't need to go after Riflemen. I should have stopped at Long Swordsmen and went after Astronomy.

Warpath: (These are approximations since I didn't write anything down)
Turn 1: Explore
Turn 20 : Start Honor social tree
Turn 30-40: Finish Stonehenge, begin work on Great Lighthouse
Turn 41-100: Dink around and start making a road towards Germany
Turn 120:Take out Berlin, I then proceed east
Turn 125: Find Japan...
Turn 135: Find Japan attacking a CS. Find Japan attacking a Military CS :)
Turn 140: Begin Pushing into Japan's territory. Keep in mind this whole time I've been building a giant road from my capital to the front lines for reinforcements
Turn 165: Take Japan's capital. I decide to leave them crippled in their two dinky cites they have left and proceed back south towards Monty, Darius and Wu. I also finish Steel giving me Longswordsmen
Turn 175: I find Monty attacking a CS as well so I help them out. Something to keep in mind is that Friendly+ CS count as friendly territory and allow you to upgrade our troops in them.
Turn 180: I declare on Darius because his army is out in the open and its too good an opportunity to pass up.
Turn 190: I take out Monty. Splitting my Army I hunt for Darius' capital and cross the marsh in front of Wu's domain.
Turn 200: I almost take out Wu and Darius at teh same time, but it will have to wait... just one more turn.
Turn 201: YAY, Victory! Lets party

Hi.

Victory on turn 122.

Spoiler :
Easy strategy, I just tech the Horsemen in first and take out all the civilizations with them. Despite the very bad map (rivers, hills and swamp everywhere ^^), it was an easy blitz. I totaly ignored the CS and puppetised all the cities I take out. I just take normaly Berlin because I wanted to have Horsemen more quickly on the battlefield. I tech Civil Service with the GL and near the end, I upgraded all my horsemen in knights, but it was not necessary at all, because at this time there was no other city than Pekin. It could be even a bad choice because of the movement of the knights.

Someone tried to go faster with Optics? It could be a relevant strategy with such a bad land to move. ^^

(Sorry if my english is bad, I'm a french guy. ^^)

This is my first GOTM since Civ II GOTM 20. Again, I'm not a good player, but I figure someone's gotta be on the bottom of the ladder.

I didn't take great notes, but here's how it's going so far. Is this late? You bet, but it's a training exercise, so who cares?

Like most everyone else, I took the start location given. Noting that I needed Iron for my UU, I went for it tech-wise, and pumped out a couple of scouts to go looking around. My luck on the huts was bad (gold? seriously?), and got some bad rolls vs. the barb. Didn't lose anyone, but it did set me back time-wise waiting for everyone to heal up.

I made my first city a long the coast. The Germans came down and put Hamburg by me. When Otto asked if I was going to attack, I figured why the heck not? Took out the Germans with minimal losses thanks to getting to Allied status quickly with Belgrade[?]. Put in the Puppets, and rolled on.

Then it was off to explore. I am still having trouble finding other civs. I'm about 160 turns in and I have yet to see any cities of either the Persians or the Chinese. The first "Japanese" city I found is Monaco. I tried to trade luxuries for it, but Oda decides to cop 'tude. A horseman, a Legion, and 2 Ballistae, and Monaco was mine. Figuring I could use the Allies more than the hassle, and to see what would happen I liberated the city. It turns out you are bumped to full Alliance. Score!

At that point, I get the call from Oda. The offer is most all of his luxury and strategic resources, cash, and three cities.

Including Tokyo

Since that's what I came for, I took him up on it. I puppeted everything (leaving me at -2 happiness), and decided to take a break before looking for everyone else.

Seems weird that the AI would offer his capital (which I hadn't found), and the better part of its empire due to the loss of one frontier city. Especially with most of my army still half a dozen turns away. Oh well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

edit: It turns out that Japan actually started right next to Monaco, since that's where Tokyo was. It makes a little more sense now, but still strikes me as odd that they went to the bargaining table so soon. They still had a military left.

Many of my most enjoyable games of Civ 4 were the GOTMs - even though I was a late starter and never caught up, hence invariably at the bottom of the league! The cunningly designed maps are so much more interesting than most random ones. Anyway, with my interest already waning in Civ 5 after a couple of ridiculously easy victories, I thought I'd try this GOTM. I'm usually such a casual, lazy player, maybe I would even be forced into learning the game to win it...

I know I've missed the end date and that game 2 has now started, but in the interests of completion, thought I'd do this one anyway.

Writing this from memory, currently at about 200AD so it will be abstract impressionist rather than photo-realistic reproduction. We have a Pangaia map, hmmm.. So no need to bother with sailing at all. Just do what I learnt from my previous games, go all military - especially with the Roman specials of Legion and Ballista - and conquer the continent with about 3 legions, a couple of archers and ballistas, maybe a horseman. All over by teatime?

Settled in place. Seemed to be lots of resources nearby. Got a scout out first, then a settler. Soon found Germany in the North. A bit far away for a rush, but started building the military anyway. Also built a worker which in hindsight, was a waste as workers are so easy to capture and in my previous domination games, I had far too many of them. Used a couple of barb settlements as troop training - Venice started giving me food because they wanted these barbs removed.

The scout was beginning to map out the continent. OH!!! It's one of those "snakey" ones. I definately remember playing something like this before. A Civ 4 GOTM perhaps? The distances involved will slow things down, especially as the 2nd AI civ is a long distance beyond Germany.

Declared on Germany about 500 BC-ish, maybe a little sooner. Berlin fell very quickly, but Hamburg dug in better than any other city I've seen in Civ5. I had 3 archers, 2 spearmen and 1 warrior. Eventually the archers weakened Hamburg enough and Germany was eliminated.

Around now, I realised that all the 1upt micromangement (stack fanboy here!) had distracted me from developing the horses and working the fish tiles. So I did that and added a couple of horses to my Sprawl Of Doom. And the big realisation - about 2,000 years too late - was that rather than marching 20,000 miles across the continent, the one thing I needed was Sailing (and Optics? the one that means your units can morph into boats and back again), to go round the world the OTHER way. I notice some others got sailing early...did they know something I didn't at game start? ;)

So at around 200 AD, I now have Legions with Ballistas on the way. Built 2 more cities to the north of Rome, also have Berlin and Hamburg. Have met China, Persia, Aztecs and Japan and will soon be sending invasion fleets westwards.

Overall, I wish I'd paid more attention to growing my 2 early cities. Production was slow, so it took longer to build the units than necessary. Should have built an early workboat instead of a worker. Should have realised the importance of sailing earlier, also needed to get horses on line quicker. They are SO powerful in the early game, at least.

Top Bottom