C2C SVN Changelog

Note: this tread is intended for notifying people about changes to the SVN (beta) version of C2C.

All bugs should go in the latest bug thread in the Bug Forum.

Reminder to SVN users: If something seems broke but it was said to be fixed then try deleting the C2C cache files in Assets/Cache.

Documentation for using SVN for C2C

A: Getting started:

1)Download and install Tortoise SVN if you don't already have it (http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html)

2) Prepare a folder to contain your copy of the project
  • Create an empty directory that will hold your working copy (i.e. - local directory on your machine which will be your 'image' of the central repository - this is where you will make your changes when you want to contribute them and where other people's changes will sync down to). I strongly recommend that this is NOT your 'live' copy in 'program files/firaxis/...'. Mine is in \development\C2C, but the location doesn't matter - just put it somewhere convenient where you have space.
3) Checkout from the repository to the folder you created in (2). This will get the current revision and make a permanent connection between your working folder and the repository. Assuming you have installed SVN as in (1) you can do this by right-clicking the directory in Windows Explorer and selecting 'Tortoise SVN/Checkout...'. When it asks you for the repository URL enter 'svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk'. It's 3.4G (uncompressed transfer I'm afraid), so obviously this will take a while (might want to do it overnight - the upload took me about 8 hours!). Future refreshes or uploads (aka Commits) only get changed files, so they will be much, much faster, especially since the really big things like art assets and movies don't tend to change much.

4) After it's all copied you are up and running!

A: Getting started: Modders only IE those who are going to update files
Spoiler :

1) Get a sourceForge login

2) Tell Koshling what your SourceForge userid is, so he can add you as project contributors

3)Download and install Tortoise SVN if you don't already have it (http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html)

4) Prepare a folder to contain your copy of the project
  • Create an empty directory that will hold your working copy (i.e. - local directory on your machine which will be your 'image' of the central repository - this is where you will make your changes when you want to contribute them and where other people's changes will sync down to). I strongly recommend that this is NOT your 'live' copy in 'program files/firaxis/...'. Mine is in \development\C2C, but the location doesn't matter - just put it somewhere convenient where you have space.
  • (Moders only) You can make changes here without effecting anyone else while you are developing them - the rest of us will only see them when you commit them (see later)
5) Checkout from the repository to the folder you created in (4). This will get the current revision (which I have initialised as the V13 content) and make a permanent connection between your working folder and the repository. Assuming you have installed SVN as in (3) you can do this by right-clicking the directory in Windows Explorer and selecting 'Tortoise SVN/Checkout...'. When it asks you for the repository URL enter svn+ssh://*your username here*@svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk. It's 3.4G (uncompressed transfer I'm afraid), so obviously this will take a while (might want to do it overnight - the upload took me about 8 hours!). Future refreshes or uploads (aka Commits) only get changed files, so they will be much, much faster, especially since the really big things like art assets and movies don't tend to change much.

6) After it's all copied you are up and running!

B: Getting the current version into play:

1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Right click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export without versioned files' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

A different explanation of this by dusckr87 here.

C: (Modders only) Submitting updates

To make changes (once I have added you as a contributor) just edit files in your working copy
to sync them to the repository when they are ready, select them then right-click (in Windows Explorer) and select 'SVN Commit'. Please give a meaningful description of the change in the 'Description' box when doing this.
To pull down other people's changes just do 'SVN update' on the root folder you created in (3) (or any subfolder if you know you are only after specific stuff). So we all stay in date I recommend we all do refreshes on the root quite frequently - before doing so you can use 'Tortoise SVN/Show log...' (usual right-click in Windows Explorer as is all SVN UI) on the root folder - that will tell you about any changes anyone has made so you'll have an idea of what a refresh would get (this list includes the description text for each revision, which is one reason why its important to provide a decent description when you do commits). I generally do a 'Show log' every day when I start (on AND currently since that was the only relevant SVN project until now) to keep up with what people are changing on an ongoing basis.

Modder Hints.

add from here and here.

Other stuff here and here

New May 2014 For information links
- Description of terms trunkm Branch ets and what they are used for (here)

- Best practice requires a bit of knowledge about SVN​

Releasing a Patch

See how to here.

The above instructions are slightly incorrect, since my original post was wrong, and got corrected in a later post. Where it says 'Export...' above it should say 'Checkout...' otherwise you'll get a downloaded copy but it won't be attached to the repository so it won't be able to get updates or allow commital of changes from it.

@DH - could you edit your top post here that quotes my original to replace 'Export' with 'Checkout' please. After that I think it's fine.

The above instructions are slightly incorrect, since my original post was wrong, and got corrected in a later post. Where it says 'Export...' above it should say 'Checkout...' otherwise you'll get a downloaded copy but it won't be attached to the repository so it won't be able to get updates or allow commital of changes from it.

@DH - could you edit your top post here that quotes my original to replace 'Export' with 'Checkout' please. After that I think it's fine.

Done, I think. Pity I had just managed to get svn working and am doing an export. :(

It has just finished checking out.

With that problem with the Custom_religons we could just move them up one level so out of Modules/DancingHoskuld and into Modules. Would that fix the problem?

It has just finished checking out.

With that problem with the Custom_religion we could just move them up one level so out of Modules/DancingHoskuld and into Modules. Would that fix the problem?

Give it a shot, what the heck.:p

Thanks for making a topic on this. I also found this useful.

Ah ok. See http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-export.html

I just tried this using the right-click-and-drag method (and selecting to export versioned files only) and it seems to do the right thing. One small wrinkle for me (and likely most of us, but it'll depend on what version of Windows you are on and if you have UAC turned on I guess) is that Windows is funny about operations inside 'program files' and exportign directly there gave an error, so I created an empty folder outside the program files area to hold the image without the .svn stuff, and did the right-click and drag to there, then just moved it into 'program files/firaxis/...' once it was done.

So, in summary:

1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Rigth click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export without versioned files' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

The result works fine for me.

On another matter, but still relating to SVN, you (SO) modified a lot of files I wouldn't have expected to be modified (private maps, movie for Nagai religion, and so on) in rev 21, which was seveal hundred Mbytes - what was going on there? (the result works fine, just was surprised there had been such a volume of change)

Is there anyway, you'll can at least name the file in which what was corrected/deleted/modified etc, makes it easier to trace.

Main reason is i am trying to test alot of this new stuff, and with all these changes coming one by one, makes it hard to keep up with the game i am playing.

Have i said how much i like that Max Comp saved game version:goodjob:

OK, I have tentively done some commits. Since I had one of "those" days yesterday I had better get on with the Neanderthal stuff now.

OK, I have tentively done some commits. Since I had one of "those" days yesterday I had better get on with the Neanderthal stuff now.

OK i have found out a way to look at exactly what was changed: See pic)

But it would still be nice to have more info in the messages, as they say "I'm just sayin."

EDIT: JUst found another way to find it, so you'll can do what you want, my bad 2nd pic also, DUH!!

I guess it's been too long since i last worked with SVN, 4 years, hmmm.

EDIT EDIT: You said in the latest SVN that you deleted the zexperimental and moved it to resources, but i dont see any modified files for the resources??

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Question for everone:

Do you want me to delete all the UserSettings, because whats there is "MY" settings??

OK i have found out a way to look at exactly what was changed: See pic)

But it would still be nice to have more info in the messages, as they say "I'm just sayin."

EDIT: JUst found another way to find it, so you'll can do what you want, my bad 2nd pic also, DUH!!

I guess it's been too long since i last worked with SVN, 4 years, hmmm.

EDIT EDIT: You said in the latest SVN that you deleted the zexperimental and moved it to resources, but i dont see any modified files for the resources??

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Question for everone:

Do you want me to delete all the UserSettings, because whats there is "MY" settings??

Second the motion for committal comments that err on the side of over verbosity rather than over brevity

I had asked you to remove it back for release v12 which is when the file was moved to resources/timber and called Timber_CIV4UnitSchema.xml.

I had asked you to remove it back for release v12 which is when the file was moved to resources/timber and called Timber_CIV4UnitSchema.xml.

HUH, you should have :spank: beat me over the head then, ;)

I noticed that the Canine Unit class is sort of in the current SVN. Its there, but has no text and the Canine units are not converted to the unit class. Is it suppose to be in yet?

As I said I had added it, albeit in the wrong place, but have not done anything with it. Not because of all the buildings I am going to have to change but because I will have to change at least the Slaves python code as well.

I have just updated the Neanderthal spawn python. Hopefully this "fixes" the problems reported, I am not entirely sure since I don't use this option. Please test it before releasing it.

I will need to do work on many bits but if the Neanderthal spawn is working OK then my stuff is ready for the next release. Except for that error Sleeeper mentioned.

How are we going to manage incremental releases? Are we going to have them?

I will need to do work on many bits but if the Neanderthal spawn is working OK then my stuff is ready for the next release. Except for that error Sleeeper mentioned.

How are we going to manage incremental releases? Are we going to have them?

Yeh, can we agree on how we will handle release scheduling please, so that we all know a date we're working towards, and have some sort of protocol to agree we're ready.

Personally I want to get some AI improvements to the AI research path in before V14, or else the AI is going to suffer badly from not reseraching its way out of the 3 city restriction fast enough (and it needs fundamental work on the AI tech choices not just an AI weight his time , because the required techs are pretty deep in the tree. I hope to have this done this week, but I'm not 100% confident yet.

Top Bottom