Caveman2Cosmos for Civ 5

RidetheSpiral23

C2C Map Team
Any plans for a mod for Civ 5?

Bought Civ 5 on the Steam sale and it would be a big factor on if I continue to play Civ 5 instead of Civ 4.

Thanks!!

Any plans for a mod for Civ 5?

Bought Civ 5 on the Steam sale and it would be a big factor on if I continue to play Civ 5 instead of Civ 4.

Thanks!!

It's not posible since Firaxis have not released the Civ5 DLL for modding.

Thanks for the response Koshling!

I know basics of modding here and there but could you give me an example of what particularly about modding would require access to the DLL?

It's not posible since Firaxis have not released the Civ5 DLL for modding.

Why is that? :cry:
The game is so shallow, regarding gameplay and the only good thing about it is the graphics engine, so why the hell wouldn't they want more people to play it, who get interested by really good content and depth?? Ah yes - because of lightwight stupid DLC - which shall be bought over and over again. :vomit:

You C2C coders provide so much more content and civ-ish depth PER DAY than any of this Civ5 DLC will ever be able to show off TOGETHER!

As my signature shows, I own Civ5 but I haven't played it since a few months. Every game is the same game. Multiplayer is kinda boring, too. After I know C2C I can't go back to Civ5, ever! But C2C for Civ5 would of course be something to work on, too... :)

Thanks for the response Koshling!

I know basics of modding here and there but could you give me an example of what particularly about modding would require access to the DLL?

In C2C? Tons of stuff does. For example:
  • All the AI improvements
  • The extended properties mechanism
  • All the perfomance improvements
  • Support of multiple maps (when we get round to it)
  • Great Commanders
  • Surround & Destroy
  • The extended resource system
  • Anything that involves new XML tags (as many many of the building definitions do and many of the events do)

Okay that makes sense. But things like the following would still be possible correct?

• Technology Adding
  • Unit Adding
  • Civilization Adding
  • Building Adding

Would it be possible to do the cultures as resources like you have it now?

Also I would love to learn how to mod if anyone would be willing to mentor me. I forgot what aspects you take care of in particular Koshling.

Okay that makes sense. But things like the following would still be possible correct?

• Technology Adding
  • Unit Adding
  • Civilization Adding
  • Building Adding

Would it be possible to do the cultures as resources like you have it now?

Also I would love to learn how to mod if anyone would be willing to mentor me. I forgot what aspects you take care of in particular Koshling.

Yes I think so. Not certain on the cultures, but techs, units, civs yes. I'm mostly involved with the DLL though, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Well I don't even own Civ5 so I could not even mod it if i wanted too (unless I went and bought it of course). But I don't see any reason to. C2C for civ4 is just too awesome already. Years of work is already put into it since it was built on RoM/AND. I see little reason why Civ5 is better even if it could do everything that civ4 can. I don't like hex maps, don't like limited units per tile and the graphics are not that much better. So what can Civ5 do that Civ4 can't do?

I Completely agree with Hydromancerx... I was pretty sad to experience Civ5 at a friend's house some months ago. The graphics are nice, but I'm too old to care for that ._.

Well I don't even own Civ5 so I could not even mod it if i wanted too (unless I went and bought it of course). But I don't see any reason to. C2C for civ4 is just too awesome already. Years of work is already put into it since it was built on RoM/AND. I see little reason why Civ5 is better even if it could do everything that civ4 can. I don't like hex maps, don't like limited units per tile and the graphics are not that much better. So what can Civ5 do that Civ4 can't do?

Civ 4 modding is 10 times easier than Civ 5, i have looked and they changed the COMPLETE way things are placed and set-up, you'd have to even change your way of thinking how to do stuff, it soooo different, to me useless, but like DRJ said, the only good thing about Civ5 is the engine, that's it period.

Well, from a purely theoretical point of view, although it has far more negatives IMO, it's pluses are:
  • Hex tiles (honestly it's a better system if it's combined with a more Civ 4 like unit structure). Regardless- it has to be seen as a potential advantage because at least some people prefer it, though I accept there is a degree os taste involved
  • Multi-threaded, so performance scales to modern machines much better
  • 64-bit, so scaling in general is much better and no MAF type issues (assuming you have the hardware)

I liked the social policies :D
It gives more depths compared to civics since every social policy you choose is going to affect you for the whole game, whereas for civics, all you need is undergo few turns of anarchy or even none to switch around.

Other than that, nope, nothing interesting in ciV.

Theoretically, could the 64 bit scaling somehow be merged with the old civ4 content, I mean is a conversion in any way possible or whats so different (apart from not being able to mod CiV .dll and .exe)? Sry for :stupid: question :rolleyes: just curious theres so much to learn by y'all :)

EDIT: I guess if they decided to put out C2C as DLC for Civ5 with all functions like now in Civ4, I even would pay, well maybe I could play free as beta tester... ;-)

I am going to sound crazy like usual.

Why bother? I mean by the time it would take to theoretically transfer the stuff to Civ5 could you just not make your own open source engine. Why not just dump Sid altogether and make a free game where you don't here the cash register chuching sound when your playing it.

I am going to sound crazy like usual.

Why bother? I mean by the time it would take to theoretically transfer the stuff to Civ5 could you just not make your own open source engine. Why not just dump Sid altogether and make a free game where you don't here the cash register chuching sound when your playing it.

I already started a thread on this, the gist being that I'd love too. However, it's a hell of a lot o work and we don;t have anyone on the team that could do the graphics engine part.

@johny smith

I have followed open source games like 0AD on of their biggest limitations is graphics. Its not easy to do. I personally know first hand since I took 3D animation classes for school and even I am not skilled enough to do it.

On a side note I prefer game design and concept drawing vs any 3D model making or animation.

I understand that a lot of work was put into this mod and of course I love and have spent far too many hours playing it for my fiancee's liking :)

The multicore support is huge for me and the graphics are for sure better in Civ 5.

I like the hexes I think and it adds to the war aspect of the game. Along the same vein I love the undoing of the "stacks of death" so far.

Like I said in my original post, I just bought Civ 5: GOTY for $12.49 on the steam sale. I was holding off buying it because I love mods in Civ 4 so much but I couldn't pass up the low price point.

Its possible that I just have not played Civ 5 enough yet to have a fair opinion.

I just thought the idea of Caveman2Cosmos for Civ 5 would make the best game ever and account for hours and hours of my life haha. Although fewer buildings this time might be good ;)

I liked the social policies :D
It gives more depths compared to civics since every social policy you choose is going to affect you for the whole game, whereas for civics, all you need is undergo few turns of anarchy or even none to switch around.

Other than that, nope, nothing interesting in ciV.

i hate hate the social policies .it feels too arcade to my taste

Woah woah, wait a sec. Back up. Yall are thinking about doing a free game of this? I have quite a few frameworks on my comp ready for something to happen. I've been trying to get an indie game going, but whenever I get some art resources done, I find a better framework to go off of. Currently the latest I have is the Blender gaming framework and the Havok animations framework. Both are legitimate for basic gaming needs and both are free (The Havok one too so long as the product is below $10 retail price). I also have the iOS cocoa framework (for iPhone, iPod, iPad and Snow Leopard 10.x) and the MS framework (for Win XP-7, Win Mobile, Xbox 360). However the latter two (iOS and MS) are not free.

Back on topic

@DRJ
Yes, a conversion is possible since we have the Civ IV DLL, BUT it would require a reworking of ALL THE CODE to fit with the 64 bit compiler instead of the 32 bit one. Overall it would just be best to start anew.

About Civ V, I was and still am severely disappointed with that game. The only plus for it from me is the engine, and that's it. Hell I got a new comp to play Skyrim on and it just so happens to play Civ IV more seamlessly than any of my other computers, so I'm happy.

Top Bottom