Tech Tree Discussion

Dang right there should be another solution! The way the Lines are established needs reworked and has needed it for a LONG time - it would be nice to be able to get 'lines' of differing types that SHOW ALL the AND and OR dynamics!

The ones you must have ie AND are shown in the tech box upper right. The lines are only OR lines. Otherwise everything is just lines.

@ Hydro

I keep forgetting to say something about this but anyways here goes:

About a month or MORE ago, it took quite a while ingame to look at the tech tree:blush:
then after a change you made after about a month ago, it was nice, it only took like 3 seconds and the tech tree was there, now AFTER your LAST update to the tech tree (i know it was a while back) it is AGAIN taking aloooong time for the tech tree to appear?? meaning something is haywire again, any ideas as to why??
Plus if it takes looking at the tech tree for "us" while ingame, just think how it will add to turn times then when it has to look also at the tech tree for information??:(

@ Hydro

I keep forgetting to say something about this but anyways here goes:

About a month or MORE ago, it took quite a while ingame to look at the tech tree:blush:
then after a change you made after about a month ago, it was nice, it only took like 3 seconds and the tech tree was there, now AFTER your LAST update to the tech tree (i know it was a while back) it is AGAIN taking aloooong time for the tech tree to appear?? meaning something is haywire again, any ideas as to why??
Plus if it takes looking at the tech tree for "us" while ingame, just think how it will add to turn times then when it has to look also at the tech tree for information??:(

I am not sure why it radically changed either way (faster or slower). Personally for me when I load up the tech tree its loads fast. I do recall when you said it went really fast for you. However I don't think I have touched the tech tree since then. Thus the issue might not be the tech tree itself but what shows up on the tech tree that is making things go faster or slower.

EDIT: Looking at the log it was ...

- Hydro - SVN v7542 (May 28 2014) = Tweaked Lunar Based tech
- Hydro - SVN v7543 (May 28 2014) = Fixed a Pink Button
- Hydro - SVN v7550 (May 29 2014) = The Major overhaul to the Classical you said went faster.
- Hydro - SVN v7555 (May 29 2014) = Added Coal Mining and Crucible Steel
- strategyonly - SVN v7727 (June 29 2014) = Added tech sounds
- strategyonly - SVN v7736 (July 2 2014) = Fixed Audio files.

As far as I can see adding Added Coal Mining and Crucible Steel is the only other things I did and it should not have made things go slower.

I am not sure why it radically changed either way (faster or slower). Personally for me when I load up the tech tree its loads fast. I do recall when you said it went really fast for you. However I don't think I have touched the tech tree since then. Thus the issue might not be the tech tree itself but what shows up on the tech tree that is making things go faster or slower.

I bevbfbfbf

If you load a game while you are in a game the Tech tree stuff recalcs when you go in again. That leads to a massive lag before the tech tree appears, but only the first time after a game load from within a game. After taht it goes back to normal time again.

Cheers

Mine Warfare is currently practically an empty tech in late Renaissance. All it does is obsolete a trap and give access to landmines, which you will not build except in cities that are under considerable threat. It supposedly leads to Trench Warfare, but of course that is nearly a whole era away.

In particular, it doesn't give anything related to the use of mines at sea. If it can be done, I suggest it could allow zones of control to be extended into coast tiles, and before that ships are immune to them. For forts this would be automatic at the tech, but for cities I suggest there should be a new building they have to build to get this effect.

The ones you must have ie AND are shown in the tech box upper right. The lines are only OR lines. Otherwise everything is just lines.

Thanks good to know, but this can't be the whole story. Many many techs have nothing in the top right hand corner, but are not researchable at the start of the game...(eg. the third tech in the tree Gathering)

Hmmm?...What's with that???:p

Mine Warfare is currently practically an empty tech in late Renaissance. All it does is obsolete a trap and give access to landmines, which you will not build except in cities that are under considerable threat. It supposedly leads to Trench Warfare, but of course that is nearly a whole era away.

Mine Warfare was suppose to be filled by the Mine Wafare mod By OrionVeteran. But its still has not been converted for C2C.

Thanks good to know, but this can't be the whole story. Many many techs have nothing in the top right hand corner, but are not researchable at the start of the game...(eg. the third tech in the tree Gathering)

Hmmm?...What's with that???:p

I believe that if it only requires 1 tech then it will not have an icon in the right corner because it has an arrow. So like Gathering requires Nomadic Lifestyle and has an arrow between them.

Mine Warfare was suppose to be filled by the Mine Wafare mod By OrionVeteran. But its still has not been converted for C2C.
Is that the source code download that needs to be merged?

I believe that if it only requires 1 tech then it will not have an icon in the right corner because it has an arrow. So like Gathering requires Nomadic Lifestyle and has an arrow between them.
Ah.... so THAT'S what makes it so damned confusing!!! Particularly since our arrow lines often overlap.

Is that the source code download that needs to be merged?

Ask DH he was the last one working on that I think. I also think ls612 might have too.

Ah.... so THAT'S what makes it so damned confusing!!! Particularly since our arrow lines often overlap.

Yeah I think the first in the OrPreReqs will show up as a line and anything in the AndPreReqs will show up as icons in the upper right corner. Which is why even if its A + B + C it will be coded as A in the OrPreReqs and B and C in the AndPreReqs so the line will show up.

Can I suggest that there should be a building unlocked at Refining that gives you Oil Products. I have cars and planes, but apparently no fuel for them, so I can't build any motorized or flying units. And fuel is some 5 techs away, as refineries require electricity, which requires a chain of techs back to Constitution:mischief:

I didn't 'beeline' cars and planes on purpose, btw. It just happened!:crazyeye:

I've made these JPGs, which show off the Transhuman and Galactic Eras as of a month ago (when I made the screenshots). I trust that these should prove useful.

Edit: I've now included the Ancient Era as well, as of today.

Attachments

• C2C Ancient Era.jpg
    C2C Ancient Era.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 134
  • C2C Transhuman Era.jpg
    C2C Transhuman Era.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 98
  • C2C Galactic Era.jpg
    C2C Galactic Era.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 111
Journalism tech has three buildings on it, but is in fact an empty tech. All those buildings have other requirements (ie. Modern Offices, access to power) which require techs for which Journalism is a prereq (Civil Eng & Electricity).

Please seriously reconsider all the buildings that require electricity and/or modern offices (oh and shopping precinct too!). I'm sure you can make a typewriter without electric tools, and I'm sure the press agencies didn't wait for skyscrapers to go up before going into Hong Kong, Saigon, Singapore, Mumbai, Cairo, Khartoum, Nairobi etc. etc.

Journalism tech has three buildings on it, but is in fact an empty tech. All those buildings have other requirements (ie. Modern Offices, access to power) which require techs for which Journalism is a prereq (Civil Eng & Electricity).

Please seriously reconsider all the buildings that require electricity and/or modern offices (oh and shopping precinct too!). I'm sure you can make a typewriter without electric tools, and I'm sure the press agencies didn't wait for skyscrapers to go up before going into Hong Kong, Saigon, Singapore, Mumbai, Cairo, Khartoum, Nairobi etc. etc.

Good thinking. I know I used to have a typewriter that was entirely mechanical... course that was a long time ago.

I am not sure if it was an oversight or a side effect from tech reworking awhile back. Thanks for reporting. :goodjob:

After I found the tech thread lurking on page three...

Hmm. Who thought it was a good idea to put the two last spaceship pieces in Endogenous Euclidean Propulsion (the penultimate technology before String Analysis)? At that point, your civilisation can teleport, travel through time and has explicitly both formed a galactic federation and millions of your population has transcended their corporeal forms and left the mortal coil... but you still haven't sent your spaceship to Alpha Centauri?

Either the spaceship victory needs to be disabled or its parts should be located much earlier, say in the Transhuman Era, where you're starting to faff around with lunar and Martian colonies.

it's not going to Alpha Centauri anymore, but instead is a trans-dimensional ship :mischief:

However, I think that such a spaceship should be in the TH era and actually go to Alpha centauri. Or Andromeda. We don't need another research the whole techtree victory option, that is what Science Victory is for.

I quite agree. The last half-dozen techs are all irrelevant except for reaching EEP, the spaceship parts and String Analysis, so that's six fewer techs that are "needed" if the spaceship victory becomes transhuman instead.

Top Bottom