Will there ever be a "release" version of C2C?

Wow... the site and my bad internet connection did it to me again huh? This time I didn't notice it and fix it beforehand.

... now what was it I wanted to say? hmph

It was something about the AI section being a great candidate for multi-threading but I wanted to know if it increased any OOS risks.

Wow... the site and my bad internet connection did it to me again huh? This time I didn't notice it and fix it beforehand.

... now what was it I wanted to say? hmph

It was something about the AI section being a great candidate for multi-threading but I wanted to know if it increased any OOS risks.

Short answer is 'yes'. I can't see how to multi-thread the AI at the obvious level (different units on different threads calculating their moves simultaneously) without OOS, so I think I could only turn the multi-threading (of that aspect at least) on for single player games (at least without significant constraints on which units parallel calculate, which would increase complexity and reduce efficiency)

Short answer is 'yes'. I can't see how to multi-thread the AI at the obvious level (different units on different threads calculating their moves simultaneously) without OOS, so I think I could only turn the multi-threading (of that aspect at least) on for single player games (at least without significant constraints on which units parallel calculate, which would increase complexity and reduce efficiency)

The good thing about that though is that in an MP game there is a lot less stuff for the comp and the AI to do on an end turn, so that should not be as big of a deal.

The good thing about that though is that in an MP game there is a lot less stuff for the comp and the AI to do on an end turn, so that should not be as big of a deal.

Completely agree. In multi-player you wouldn't feel the difference much either way since the AI is processing while you take your turns. Slows your turn taking a bit as it takes a little longer from one action to the next but overall that's more acceptable than a huge turn time lag at the end of a single player turn.

Would it be possible to change single player so that the AI move their units while you have to select new buildings after old are finished (takes a lot of time when you don't auto your cities and select the next tech? When you move your troups, the AI could evaluate which buildings to build next or what they want to research.

Would it be possible to change single player so that the AI move their units while you have to select new buildings after old are finished (takes a lot of time when you don't auto your cities and select the next tech? When you move your troups, the AI could evaluate which buildings to build next or what they want to research.

That would be tricky since there are (admittedly rare, but still possible) interactions - e.g. - someone decides to trade something with an AI which might modify AI build choices, AI moves include a city attack or other attacks, the results of which alter your build choices, etc.

Just parallelizing the unit movement (to the extent it can be) is simpler and should still yield very appreciable speedups, so best to do the more self-contained things first

That would be tricky since there are (admittedly rare, but still possible) interactions - e.g. - someone decides to trade something with an AI which might modify AI build choices, AI moves include a city attack or other attacks, the results of which alter your build choices, etc.

Just parallelizing the unit movement (to the extent it can be) is simpler and should still yield very appreciable speedups, so best to do the more self-contained things first

The other thing I've found taking an inordinate amount of time in end turns from my profiling is the countNumBonuses method, which for some reason is taking almost 10% of the turn now. Is that normal, or should I post a save somewhere for that?

The other thing I've found taking an inordinate amount of time in end turns from my profiling is the countNumBonuses method, which for some reason is taking almost 10% of the turn now. Is that normal, or should I post a save somewhere for that?

Post a save for me please and I'll look at it. It isn't normal.

Post a save for me please and I'll look at it. It isn't normal.

Here is one a couple turns after (I profiled a non-Autosaved turn unfortunately so I don't have the exact save). The times are pretty consistent though so with any luck this will show the issue too.

Here is one a couple turns after (I profiled a non-Autosaved turn unfortunately so I don't have the exact save). The times are pretty consistent though so with any luck this will show the issue too.

Just pushed a small modification to address this performance issue. On my machine reduced time for this method in your saved game end turn from 17 seconds (in a total turn time of 148 seconds) to 0.2 seconds.

Just pushed a small modification to address this performance issue. On my machine reduced time for this method in your saved game end turn from 17 seconds (in a total turn time of 148 seconds) to 0.2 seconds.

Well to "me" that really not a small modification, that a darn good one:goodjob:, and a heck of an increase with all the others you have made, it still amazes me, that you can do this, just fanDamntastic, IMHO.;)

Hello C2C Devs,
I tried playing a full game of C2C recently, with all the advanced features enabled (except the ones that are known to be heavily unbalanced/problematic, not yet truly integrated into c2c).

.... there is the major balance issues I keep reading about everywhere, though I cannot speak of those myself since I have not played long or regularly.

... However, you have taken the "more is better" just too far, if one of your goals is still to to provide an enjoyable experience to not just the most extreme hardcore civ players.
..... But then you should be honest that there is no longer a goal for a playable mod, and that this is more of an experimental modding hobby group oriented towards fellow modders, rather than a mod oriented towards fans/players.

Quantity is great as long as all it does is add content and/or additional complexity to the game.
.. it is frustrating that I see no playable version in sight, with the current "more is better, at any cost" philosophy. I am not saying you owe fans anything, but if your goal is to keep existing fans and bring in new ones...

Keep on sharing your thoughts, and helping to move us towards the best versions possible,
Anything you can do to comment and discuss solutions can help these temporary issues get worked out. Please join in the discussion.

Even listing and discussing them can bring breakthroughs and solutions to the stability of new features, you don't want to end the continuous pursuit of improving Civ and C2C.
If we keep doing that...

then we won't have to settle for the mostly best 'released' last one, but get the even better, more stable, and 'improving' ones.

New ideas will bring instability, improving anything is a balancing adjustment, that make take time to work out. Some solutions are the best right now ones.

Improving the 'Quality' of ideas is the goal, not the 'quantity' or endless application of them,
The point is to explore, discuss, and find a way to improve them.
Never to give in to the loose mob of the average, or be weighed down by the every, the popular, or the easy,
but to be free to explore them, that a true play of history, can be as involving and immerse as exploring history and future can be, as exciting, improving, and fun as it can be!
To the future and the future of C2C!

Nice, thanks. :goodjob: If I'd known that it was such an issue I would have done something about it in November when I first noticed it, but oh well.

-snip long quote for ease on eyes-

I understand why you think this, but remember that this mod is massive. It has many times the amount of content Vanilia BTS has. Amd they aren't even done adding content. The mod is so big they only got around to balancing renaissance recently. And they plan to include multiple maps to insure the galatic era is truely galatic.

This mod is very far from finished. It's for a good reason this mod likes to eat up components of other mods and has a very large team working on it: this mod is pretty much too large for one man to make. Honestly, one can say that anyone whos made anything that became a major part of a mod, or made a major mod in theCIV C&C subforum as a whole can be considered to have helped made this in some way, shape, or form. This mod is simply the most ambitious mod out their in what they are trying to achieve.

RFC developed for modders the ability to script spawns after the game, and it's stability mechanics beloved.

FFH and FF2 introduced magic, and a deep backstory, able to do quick impressive things.

The Revloutions modcomp allowed a even more complex and organic civ.

C2C takes us from caveman to cosmos. It's defining feature is the prehistoric era. It wants to add multiple maps to this list

I just registered on CivFanatics to congratulate the C2C team and laud them for their tireless efforts. I'm new to this mod, but I've been around the mod block and this one is by far the best. I've played mods with significantly less content that somehow tend to perform far below the bar set by this talented team. C2C may crash and run a little slowly at times, but not only are these repercussions a small price to pay for a Civilization experience truly inspiring and educational in its scope, but they pale in comparison to the frustrations I've endured from other mods, and hence, I have the utmost confidence that this team will continue to rectify them to the players' benefit.

I will never play another mod again, as C2C is a perfect realization of what Civilization should be, and this development team shares my views and opinions exactly. I would be more than happy to pay for the privilege to enjoy this mod despite its flaws and setbacks and I want to thank everyone involved for making such a game possible.

I'll avail myself to improving this mod by whatever means I can and hope to one day see these guys' vision come to full fruition.

I just registered on CivFanatics to congratulate the C2C team and laud them for their tireless efforts. I'm new to this mod, but I've been around the mod block and this one is by far the best. I've played mods with significantly less content that somehow tend to perform far below the bar set by this talented team. C2C may crash and run a little slowly at times, but not only are these repercussions a small price to pay for a Civilization experience truly inspiring and educational in its scope, but they pale in comparison to the frustrations I've endured from other mods, and hence, I have the utmost confidence that this team will continue to rectify them to the players' benefit.

I will never play another mod again, as C2C is a perfect realization of what Civilization should be, and this development team shares my views and opinions exactly. I would be more than happy to pay for the privilege to enjoy this mod despite its flaws and setbacks and I want to thank everyone involved for making such a game possible.

I'll avail myself to improving this mod by whatever means I can and hope to one day see these guys' vision come to full fruition.

Here Here

Top Bottom