A small step for this mod...

Overall that looks good. Also the Sand could be used to make the silicon needed for the Solar Panels.

True, but as I said: The reduction of Silicon (SiO2 -> Si + O2) is a VERY energy consuming process. So what generates the Power for it? I assume here that the lunar base you build before founding the city already had some panels from earth since they are quite light weighted. But we want to go BIG.

So these are the options I had so far:

a) You have to send at least one more supply ship that delivers solar panels. This is quite feasable since solar panels are light and generate lots of power. With that power you can make your own solar panels on the moon.

b) Fusion is somewhere around that techwise, we have He3 and we have H2 either from electrical water splitting (power again...) or from the algae (under the right conditions, algae can produce something like 500 mL pure H2 per L culture in 3-5 days.) But a fusion generator is very high tech, sensitive and heavy. So it can't be easily constructed on the moon and transport is diffiicult. Also, it needs quite a lot energy to start working.

c) Use biomass powerplants with plant/algae waste.

d) Use the CO2 which expands when heated (by the sun) and can therefore drive a dynamo.

e) Use solar satellites. You don't need much less fuel then actually send solar panels to the moons surface, and solar panels have a better Energy / weight relations due additional stuff needed for satellites.

Thoughts?

Actually I like a the most... I wanted to force the player to send some supply to the colony anyways.

And good you like the overall picture, I will get in detail now :)

Oh and I was thinking about lifestocks on the moon. But they's eat from valuable agricultural fields so they'd actually consume more food than they generate...

1. I think all those choices should be used. Havving more than one method to solve a problem is a good thing.

2. Well perhaps having bugs or fish for a protein food source might be worth it. Especially if they eat algae and you can double the algae for both livestock food and industrial use.

3. Also if you got a bio-dome up with a working ecosystem it could both help provide air and food but also happiness for your colonists to have something from Earth.

1. True. Sounds like a good plan :goodjob:

2. Also true. This will make another good buildings for food besides the Greenhouse complex.

3. I wanted to have an Ecosphere (-Wonder) sometimes in the game. Maybe it's better as normal building thou.

Here are the first of my buildings, I have to board now on my plane. As for the :hammers: costs, I based them on a gamespeed were techs take ~3 turns at this time, so they are most like not the costs the buildings will have in the XML. But you get an idea how I want them to be.

Lunar Base:
Required Tech: Lunar Colonization
Required Buildings: None
Required Ressources: None
Other Requirements: Any Lunar Terrain
Costs: Autobuild
  • -1000 :gold:
  • +20 :science:

Lunar Water Extraction Facility:
Required Buildings: Lunar Base
Other Requirements: None *
Costs: 120 :hammers: -> If you don't have any other buildings, this should take ~ 30 turns.
  • +1 :food:

*Maybe, at a later point, we can limit it to near the lunar poles and implent a Pipeline System building here for your colonies not near the poles. I'd like

this, but with the screwed lantitute values for out map this won't work right now.

Lunar Rock Quarry:
Required Buildings: Lunar Base
Other Requirements: None
Costs: 20 :hammers: -> If you don't have any other buildings, this should take ~ 5 turns.
  • +5 :hammers:
  • + 200% Building construction

Lunar Concrete Mill:
Required Buildings: Lunar Rock Quarry AND Lunar Water Extraction Facility
Costs: 140 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry, this should take ~ 5 turns.
  • +2 :hammers:
  • + 300% Building construction
  • Produces Concrete

Lunar Glass Factory:
Required Buildings: Lunar Rock Quarry
Costs: 140 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry, this should take ~ 5 turns.
  • +1 :gold: <- Doesn't make much sense, but to give a reason to build more then one.
  • Produces Glass

Lunar Greenhouse: (Or Hydrophonics Farm)
Required Buildings: Lunar Water Extraction Facility
Required Ressources: Glass
Costs: 280 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry, this should take ~ 10 turns.
  • +5 :food: <- This should end up for a total of 9 :food: (3 from city tile, 1 from the Lunar Water Extraction Facility and 5 here) to support 3 Pop.

Lunar Algae Farm:
Required Buildings: Lunar Greenhouse
Required Ressources: Concrete (Glass is covered with the Greenhouse)
Costs: 330 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry and Concrete Mill, this should take ~ 5 turns.
  • +3 :food:
  • Produces Algae

Lunar Algae Lab:
Required Tech: Lunar Manufacturing
Required Buildings: Lunar Quarry
Required Ressources: Concrete AND Algae AND Glass AND Chemicals*
Costs: 660 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry and Concrete Mill, this should take ~ 10 turns.
  • -30 :gold:
  • Produces Hydrogen
  • Produces Drugs

*These need to be transported to the Moon once.

Lunar Metal Extraction Facility: (There will be seperate ones for Aluminium, Iron, Titanium and to a lesser extend Magnesium and Manganese)
Required Buildings: Lunar Quarry AND Solar Panels*
Required Ressources: Concrete
Other Requirements: MAYBE the respective ore in vicinity. While not that realistic, it definetly adds more to gameplay.
Costs: 660 :hammers: -> With the Rock Quarry and Concrete Mill, this should take ~ 10 turns.
  • + 2 :hammers:
  • Produces Steel Ingots / Aluminium Ingots / Titanium (Ingots?) AND Manganese AND Magnesium

*This is a building that can only be construced by a Supply Ship OR with Silicon resource.

@Faustmouse

According to ls612's cost list your prices are WAY too low.

X88 = 2150
X89 = 2300
X90 = 2450
X91 = 2650
X92 = 3000
X93 = 3200
X94 = 3400
X95 = 3400
X96 = 3700
X97 = 3950
X98 = 4250
X99 = 4550
X100 = 4850

So if we were to follow this then ...

- Lunar Base = N/A
- Lunar Water Extraction Facility = 4550
- Lunar Glass Factory = 4550
- Lunar Greenhouse = 4550
- Lunar Algae Farm = 4550
- Lunar Algae Lab = 4850
- Lunar Metal Extraction Facility = 4550

So weather or not you want to make them more or less than each other I think you should keep them around he target pricing.

Lunar Water Extraction Facility

It should probably be like ...

• -? :gold:
  • +1 :health:
  • -5 Flammability

In fact all of these should cost a LOT for maintenance of each part. Unlike on Earth if it breaks people could be dead. Thus I am not sure how much -:gold: these should all have.

+ 200% Building construction
+ 300% Building construction

You realize that's HUGE? Here is some comparison ...

- Carpenter's Workshop = +10% Building Construction
- Pulley Wheel = +10% Building Construction
- Treadmill Crane = +15% Building Construction
- Steam Crane = +20% Building Construction
- Construction Firm = +20% Building Construction
- Modern Crane = +30% Building Construction
- Hi-Tech Crane = +40% Building Construction

Even the Hi-Tech Crane that comes in the late Trans-Human Era is only +40%.

Lunar Algae Lab

I am not sure about this. You should look at the other similar buildings we already have such as the Biopolymer Factory. Also when you say Drugs what is it making? Do you mean Pharmaceuticals? Because we have that as a resource.

However on an off topic it and water bottles and wax seem to be missing their text.

Lunar Algae Farm

This should make some money too like the Earth one. Unless you think the maintenance cost would cancel out the profit.

Lunar Glass Factory
Lunar Concrete Mill
Lunar Metal Extraction Facility

These all should be producing some :yuck: and Flammability. Not so sure about Air or Water Pollution since the Moon as no Atmosphere. But the risk of fire and getting sick or injured on the job should be something the factories still have.

You realize that's HUGE? Here is some comparison ...

- Carpenter's Workshop = +10% Building Construction
- Pulley Wheel = +10% Building Construction
- Treadmill Crane = +15% Building Construction
- Steam Crane = +20% Building Construction
- Construction Firm = +20% Building Construction
- Modern Crane = +30% Building Construction
- Hi-Tech Crane = +40% Building Construction

Even the Hi-Tech Crane that comes in the late Trans-Human Era is only +40%.

An possible way to do things could be to actually have buildings that cost x5 compared to similar things you can build on Earth to illustrate the difficulty to build anything on the Moon. Then, with some engineering, you slowly start to develop some infrastructure to build efficiently there.

Damnn after spending 15 min writing an answer the internet here kicked me out and its gone ...

In short: No, they are ok in price. your colony has an output of max 5 :hammers: per turn when founded. You really want to spend 3000/5 turns to build your first building? I dont. That is also the reason why the quarry and concrete mill have so much building modifier. Befiore them you dont have anything to build buildings with. but there is plenty of moon rocks, you just have to take (and process them). I really want to try this in game to see if it works fine. ls216 table is based on the stage at which your earth cities are, they have nothing to do with lunar cities.

I also forgot about the :yuck:. WIll add this. Waterbottles ok, but do we need wax on the moon?

And I vision the colony as something struggling for life, they dont want to make profit with their algae.

Id post the 2nd set as well, but my laptop cant connect to the internet here :(

Waterbottles ok, but do we need wax on the moon?

No no, I was saying Pharmaceuticals, Water Bottles and Wax resources seem to have lost their text files when they were moved to the core. This bug needs to be fixed and has nothing to do with Lunar stuff. I just noticed it when looking up Pharmaceuticals resource.

EDIT
: I found backups of the text files and added them to the SVN.

No no, I was saying Pharmaceuticals, Water Bottles and Wax resources seem to have lost their text files when they were moved to the core. This bug needs to be fixed and has nothing to do with Lunar stuff. I just noticed it when looking up Pharmaceuticals resource.

EDIT
: I found backups of the text files and added them to the SVN.

Sorry about those text files. Some had the wrong name and those I caught. There were a lot of files.

@Faustmouse

I added Lunar Bases tech to the SVN and added most of the chances however I still think Lunar Colonization should require AES so I kept that as a tech requirement. Which ment It did not have to move and I did not ave to chnage Lunar Manufacturing. Likewise I did not think Jovian Exploration needed AES tech since its just unmanned probes.

@Faustmouse

I added Lunar Bases tech to the SVN and added most of the chances however I still think Lunar Colonization should require AES so I kept that as a tech requirement. Which ment It did not have to move and I did not ave to chnage Lunar Manufacturing. Likewise I did not think Jovian Exploration needed AES tech since its just unmanned probes.

Thanks for adding the tech. We'll have to see if Colonization and Manufacturing come to close to each other or not. Maybe AES can be moved back then, I don't know.

FYI the Colony Extraction Facility was meant as the mine/quarry replacement for off-planet terrain. (basically it handles all lunar & martian resource collection.) This is your separate mine.

Thanks for adding the tech. We'll have to see if Colonization and Manufacturing come to close to each other or not. Maybe AES can be moved back then, I don't know.

Space Stations = X88
Lunar Exploration = X88
Lunar Bases = X89
Space Tourism = X90
Planetary Exploration = X90
Solar Propulsion = X91
Exoplanets Discovery = X93
Commercial Space Flight = X94
Asteroid Belt Probes = X96
Asteroid Mining = X97
Jovian Exploration = X97
Advanced Environmental Systems = X98
Lunar Colonization = X99
Lunar Manufacturing = X100
Lunar Tourism = X101
Magnetic Sails = X102
Orbital Flight = X106
Lunar Trade = X107

For me, the Gap between Lunar Bases and Colony is a bit big with a "deltaX" of 10.
I will have a look at this later. And for the buildings, I will just implent them and let you play it, then can have a look at it in game.

For me, the Gap between Lunar Bases and Colony is a bit big with a "deltaX" of 10.
I will have a look at this later. And for the buildings, I will just implent them and let you play it, then can have a look at it in game.

I think it's a long long way from a base to a colony. Two examples - Antarctica and the orbital space station (originally Mir iirc). We have had bases in those two 'spheres' for decades, without being any closer to a colony.

Yeah that is true... But both of them don't provide any benefits when you have a colony there, they are just for research.
Do you think that once you have a colony somewhere, manufacturing and tourism will occour shortly after that?

Yeah that is true... But both of them don't provide any benefits when you have a colony there, they are just for research.
Do you think that once you have a colony somewhere, manufacturing and tourism will occour shortly after that?

We are almost up to space tourism already, and similar with Antarctica, so I think some tourism could come before colonization. But that is very small scale. Once a colony is up and running, assuming their training wasn't prohibitively arduous, tourism on a small scale could follow quite soon. Tourism on the scale of even one modern 5-star hotel is going to need a colony population of at least 5000ish - maybe slightly less if they are there purely to 'service' tourists, but probably more in practice.

Manufacturing (or on the moon more likely mining/prospecting but same diff) might very well be the reason that a colony finally gets built. So I think it is very likely to follow close after colonization.

To go live in a new colony is a big decision. All the (recentish) ones I can think of started as prisons, havens from persecution, or bases for exploitation of uniquely lucrative resources eg. gold, slaves, pirate booty:lol: etc.

Top Bottom