Custom Civilizations.

We're supposed to have one artstyle for each fundamental continental culture and it should apply to all the civs of that culture - all more specific artstyles can be entirely optional imo.

Yudishtira's complaint is valid in that Oceanic does not have an established art style (but also suggests that polynesian artstyle would be sufficient to fill this role.)

I looked at old Polynesian units sets and it contains 15 units (archer, axeman, chario, crossbowman, cuirassier, explorer, h.cav., heavy footman, horseman, longbowman, musketman, pikeman, rifleman, spearman, swordsman).

Entire ethnic set include ~170 units.

15 units its less then 10% of all needed models and I think its not a big deal to add then back. But most of the units still will be the same (not to mention all non-human units - ships, tanks, vehicles etc which are mostly the same for all ethnic styles). Only one question - which style is correct for them? SO propose Australian (mostly European units) for Maori and Asian for Polynesian. My proposition is to use South American style mixed with Asian and European if needed.

We're supposed to have one artstyle for each fundamental continental culture and it should apply to all the civs of that culture - all more specific artstyles can be entirely optional imo.

There is only few models for Oceanic civs and as I mention before we need around 170. Ofcourse I can retexture models from other civs or use 2 or more times same model from Polynesian set. But in the end this look weird and cheap.

Looking from my perspective and experience of adding set of units I have one advice guys:
1. I can add these 15 polynesian units and rest of the units taken from South American set
2. Include in C2C one full set from more popular civs such like Rome, Babylon, Japan or Mongolia. We have plenty beautiful models for these civs and in the end our players choose Rome before Polynesia in most of the plays.

Ah one more thing: new set = ~27 Mbs and ~900 files.

I counted 10 European artstyles in 'core' most of which are modern and therefore probably almost identical. If you have to remove artstyle Denmark:crazyeye: to put back the few Polynesian flavour units that were there before (no new ones needed), then so be it...

I counted 10 European artstyles in 'core' most of which are modern and therefore probably almost identical. If you have to remove artstyle Denmark:crazyeye: to put back the few Polynesian flavour units that were there before (no new ones needed), then so be it...

Its no problem to add another style like Denmark which is using 90% of Ethnic European (or German) style. I can add this in week or so. But as I say before we have less then 10% of Polynesian units and what with the rest? European? South American? Asian?

I see what you mean about Oceanic cultures... they're from all over the board. Aborigines, for example, are very different to Polynesians.

I suppose use your best judgement with each... for example, Aborigines could be largely based on many African units while others may be more Asian and others still more South American (as a root to work off of.) If it's quite easy (and not memory heavy) to add a few unique unit arts here and there to each civ I don't really mind that at all. In fact I'd advocate it.

It's just that once we get to the point where players really only have N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Middle Eastern, Asian and Oceanic Civilization bases to choose from and then the culture of the unit (as assigned by the most predominant culture in the city from which the unit is built) is determining the applicable art style of the unit, Oceana will need a common base root. This doesn't mean we need to totally CREATE a whole new base set but perhaps an intermixture that blends ok of unit styles that we already have would be able to form that base art style.

Follow what I mean?

The Maori axeman is still using a European model/skin. It might be fair enough from Renaissance onwards, but Medieval and earlier should be, if not Polynesian, then something South, Meso or Native American.

This is part of why I'm annoyed at more cuts being suggested. This (ie. the removal of the Polynesian artstyle) was a huge mistake, and no-one seems to know (or care?) how to reverse it (let alone apologize for it lol).

Polynesian units was removed only for a while from game. They return but SO forgot to enable them in XML. Now they are on.

Top Bottom