C2C - RQT (Random Questions Thread)

Ok, stupid question:

How can i change the build order of things from the queue, without having to cancel and then re-queue them (i.e. think about having 30+ things in queue)?

You can add at the start of the queue using Ctrl. Shift to add to the end. You can remove from the queue by clicking on the element you want removed from the queue. AFAIK that is it.

I also found a BUG option that i found handy, which defaults shift (add to que) when building.
Also the repeat military unit option i found nice (so you get multiple units)

How do I use Log Rams effectively? Just attacked a barbarian city with four log rams and 5 atlatist, they had 3 defenders and i didnt make a scratch in their 50% defense of on their units....

Which tech allows you to settle peaks? I thought there was one, but I can't find it at the moment.

After I posted that, I found it by brute-force searching the XML files, but in my current game, I have both Algebra and Mountaineering and can't settle a city on a peak. I can't build Colonists either (now I have Colonialism), so maybe I'm doing something wrong. :(

Colonists and Pioneers have been temporarily removed because they are a cheat. They only give benefits to human players. It means they still appear in the pedia but you can't build them. You can upgrade settlers to them.

Ah, yes, I was able to upgrade a Settler, but I still couldn't settle peaks. Standing in a city, I was told that I needed to be 2 squares away to build a city, but standing on a peak, I got nothing. :(

I'm not sure if Algebra is the unlocking tech or not to be honest but if all signs point to being able to found the city then I'd upload the save and we can check what's taking place in the code as it may be a bug.

How do I use Log Rams effectively? Just attacked a barbarian city with four log rams and 5 atlatist, they had 3 defenders and i didnt make a scratch in their 50% defense of on their units....
If you've knocked the defenders down significantly in strength you may not be giving the rams enough time to work - each round they're in battle they'll make an attempt to damage the city defenses and they'll withdraw once the defender is at 25% or less of their max HP. AKA, they're at their best when the defenders are healthy so bombarding the defenders before attacking with the rams can backfire a bit.

If you're playing with Size Matters, merging too many rams for their best chance of survival in the fight will actually harm their ability to dish out as much damage to the defenses as possible because they can too easily out power the defenders to the point that they don't get enough attacks against the walls in before they leave the battle. So having one strong one to hurt the defender that would kill a normal group sized ram is not a bad idea as a start to the battle but then using smaller and smaller groups of rams can be beneficial so as to find the best ratio between survivability and sustainable combat capacity so as to deal the maximum damage to the walls.

They're kinda tricky to use in general and I've often thought it might be best to take away their automatic withdrawals but I don't want them to be innately able to kill defenders and I also don't want them to become automatic one shot use units so I've tried to use maximum combat limit to find a balance between the two extremes.

Additionally, it REALLY helps to promote rams with the promos that increase the damage to defenses and the chances of dishing out that damage each round of attack. Rams can be more effective than any other way to reduce defenses when promoted strongly enough.

At the moment I'm happy with their dynamic specifically because it IS complex to use them in the most optimal way. Perhaps the AI doesn't benefit from this too well but on a non-size matters game the standard size is pretty effective and on a size matters game the AI will tend to gradiate the group sizes on them enough to be able to play the necessary strategy out with surprising effectiveness. Might need to tweak things a little to get them working perfectly but it's not the only place the AI needs thorough review for sure.

Here's the save-game. I have Colonialism, both mined peaks and empty peaks and no cities within 2 squares. Try the mountain range near Mutal and Brighton - there should be a colonist in Mutal, I think.

Attachments

• Anglia AD-0777.rar
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
Haven't loaded the save in question, but here's a thought: Does the peak have Mangroves on it? Mangroves prevent settling, and can show up on Peaks.

Regarding Rams, honestly, I do feel like they're single-use units at best, and the moment I can start building proper ranged siege (Lithobolos), I do. In almost every game to date, generally on Emperor difficulty, I've had to build literally dozens of log rams to take a city from a mere 80% or so to the invasion limit (50%?), and I'll lose most of them. This is without Size Matters or Surround and Destroy, mind.

I'll take a look, so thanks for that, but really, mangroves on peaks? That doesn't sound sensible at all.

Edit: And that would be why, which leads into several other irregularities. You get provided with no reason why you can't settle on mangroves, unlike (say) trying to settle a city inside a city, mangroves shouldn't be able to spawn on peaks in the first place and those mangroves were doing nothing for the tile yields and so were actively ruining the peaks for settling, whilst providing zero benefit.

The post map generation code places mangroves since they should only exist on saltwater coastal plots that are marshes. It used to check the plot is not a peak but that bit of code has been commented out.

Well, that sounds like a failure to appreciate the consequences, however well intentioned.

Random question: How well do old world civs colonize the new world?

I like to play with raging barbarians on. I'm going to make barbarian civs start much later in the new world, so they'll be relatively weak compared to the old world. Just concerned on how well the old world civs will be at colonizing.

I think it was done as an experiment to allow sea lions and walrus resources on one plot islands that were also peaks. At least that is what my comment said.

I am doing some stuff with that bit of code now. It is generic and is the source of all those errors when you remove any map scripts or rename them. It has a lot of code that is meant for things like FfH etc.

One thing that needs doing is controlling the placement of some animal and plant resources by region especially since animal spawns are already done that way. Why should a Kangaroo resource appear anywhere but in the Oceanic region for example. The current system only allows you to specify how far from the equator a resource can occur.

I've had to build literally dozens of log rams to take a city from a mere 80% or so to the invasion limit (50%?), and I'll lose most of them. This is without Size Matters or Surround and Destroy, mind.
Sounds like you need more xp on them when generated if you can build that up more before building the rams. Well promoted rams shouldn't have this problem. If they ARE dying then they are getting out-gunned when they attack so taking a lot of ranged assault (like Archers) with you can be used to weaken the defenders enough to enable the rams to survive when they attack.

Do you think that if I changed MAX_TRADE_ROUTES to 0 in my C2C global defines, it would reduce the horrible processing time as more and more cities are built and help solve the vast excess of gold in the game?

Could help processing time a little - hard to say - I've seen conflicting analyses.

As for gold costs, there's a value, I think its a global, somewhere that establishes a maximum # of cities upkeep and I've been figuring that should be vastly expanded. To do so would install a rather large economic expense per city that normally caps out at what I feel is too low right now... Just gotta figure out what the value is called again.

I tried it quickly with my English AD 777 game and it appeared to change neither my embarrassing profusion of wealth nor the 30-second-plus processing time, so I reverted it back to 24. Next time, I'll just leave off BarbCiv (to reduce civs & cities) and Advanced Economy.

Top Bottom