C2C - RQT (Random Questions Thread)

Human Sacrifice Golden Age:
1. Has anyone ever got one?
2. Can you get it without being in Druidism or Nahual?
3. How long does it last?

Sounds like you need more xp on them when generated if you can build that up more before building the rams. Well promoted rams shouldn't have this problem. If they ARE dying then they are getting out-gunned when they attack so taking a lot of ranged assault (like Archers) with you can be used to weaken the defenders enough to enable the rams to survive when they attack.

Well Archers are still a long way off. Seems a half dozen suicicee atlatists is a necessary sacrifice

Well Archers are still a long way off. Seems a half dozen suicicee atlatists is a necessary sacrifice

True... early early warfare like this is tough without a lot of sacrifice and it's intended to be that way to make even the capturing of one city a severe effort so as to help hold off the steamroll victory from getting too strong a foothold in the early stage of the game.

That's a good strategy to implement before archers though and its what is intended to be effective. Promoting your atlatls with as much early withdraw and withdraw is very effective if you are working with the Fight or Flight option.

The core non-combat mod version of the game is far more blunt and can force you to simply outproduce units to outmatch your foes in this early stage of the game. Not that it cannot be done, just that it must be done with a little less finesse.

Human Sacrifice Golden Age:
1. Has anyone ever got one?
2. Can you get it without being in Druidism or Nahual?
3. How long does it last?

1. I admit I have not done a full set of testing on it.

2. Yes but those religions get extras.

3. It depends on the buildings present in your nation and the city the sacrifice is in. It is supposed to be scaled to game speed. The range from 2 to 12 turns on normal speed.

It should be something like
Not Druid or Nahugal - 3 turns without sacrificial buildings 6 with. Chichen Itza anywhere in your nation doubles this or x3 if in the city.

Druid - 2 without any special buildings, x2 with normal sacrificial building, x2 with first cathedral level building (those are in the city), x2 for second level cathedral building anywhere in the nation, x3 if it is in the city. Chichen Itza as above.

Nahugal - similar to Druid with one of the religion wonders taking the place of the cathedral level building​

edit the length of the golden age and the conditions are coded in the action/outcome XML which is not as easy to do as in a programming language but should be visible to the AI whereas python stuff isn't unless you code AI in it.

Are wonders supposed to stop counting towards the city limit after they become obsolete? I thought they were but they aren't, this game.

Addendum: Did goody huts go the way of the dodo or was there an option for them I didn't check? Haven't seen a single one this game, or island hut.

Are wonders supposed to stop counting towards the city limit after they become obsolete? I thought they were but they aren't, this game.

Addendum: Did goody huts go the way of the dodo or was there an option for them I didn't check? Haven't seen a single one this game, or island hut.

Wonders always count even when they obsolete. This is standard in Civ IV.

There is an option "No goody huts" that turns them off. Not sure if the "No random stuff" options only turns events off or also turns goody huts off.

There doesn't appear to be an option for this in the custom settings. Random events are on. I'm using Perfect Mongoose script, svn 7960. Do you know how I can turn it back on?

There doesn't appear to be an option for this in the custom settings. Random events are on. I'm using Perfect Mongoose script, svn 7960. Do you know how I can turn it back on?

Yes, in world builder. However... it would not repopulate the map with goodies since the bit that does that is during map setup during game creation.

What's the current Caveman2Cosmos mod size? I remember it was down as low as 1.9GB but I have a feeling it's crept back up a little.

How do you remove the volcano event, please? I started a great game, but I see the 60+ food tiles are still around the volcano after explosion. I tried to put <PrereqTech>TECH_RADIO</PrereqTech> in CIV4EventInfos.xml, but it still does appear (and I restarted the game after that, with recalculation of the modifiers).
As the event doesnt really work now, I'd rather disable it...

How do you remove the volcano event, please? I started a great game, but I see the 60+ food tiles are still around the volcano after explosion. I tried to put <PrereqTech>TECH_RADIO</PrereqTech> in CIV4EventInfos.xml, but it still does appear (and I restarted the game after that, with recalculation of the modifiers).
As the event doesnt really work now, I'd rather disable it...

Repairing this is a project on DH's agenda and he's a little distracted by RL at the moment.

I'm not sure how to turn it off entirely without gutting it in the xml. There's probably an easy way to do that too but I'm not quite as familiar with event triggers as I should be to advise further at the moment.

Yeah, I've read that.

I tried to remove the complete sections about volcano event from CIV4EventInfos.xml and CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml, hopefully its gonna work... thanks.

edit: no, it is not enough :-(

Yeah, I've read that.

I tried to remove the complete sections about volcano event from CIV4EventInfos.xml and CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml, hopefully its gonna work... thanks.

edit: no, it is not enough :-(

That will cause errors.

Find the events and set the probability to zero or the percentage of games the event is in to zero. Both should work. I don't understand how the code went back to what it was before I fixed it:(

Dogs in combination with either a strong mounted unit with good anti-melee or an anti-melee unit like an axeman. If you're playing fight or flight this is the way to go - the anti-melee attacks what the dogs spot and the dogs go in to mop up if the enemy retreats. (Dogs are really really good at pursuit - just a little weak so are best as a second attack.)

This is a good tactic. How I do it is this: I first upgrade the dogs to all have the +3 sight range, then I work on the +20% Criminal stats. (I throw in a +1 movement or two, depending upon your play style.) Then I put one in every major city. Once you get further in the game, the Mounted Bandits can move past your 'patrol' and if you only have dogs along the borders, you won't notice if they get past. A dog in every city makes sure that no matter where they are, you can always see the criminal units. (And with the +3 sight, they can also see along your border too.) Putting them along the border is good for chasing, but you want to give the ones along the border a different stat then the ones in the cities. +20% Damage to Criminals would be the first stat, then movement and +chasing units. (Also, stack them under the mounted units, since they are kinda weak, the criminals might attack them and you will be down a guard dog.)

Then exactly what Thunder does, attack them with a mounted unit, and if they run, finish them off with the dog.

Hi,

In Vanilla Civ I believe that it was possible to chance boats out in the open sea even before the ocean travel was permitted.

I think I remeber reading somewhere in these forums that this has been disabled in C2C but also that this is something that would be possible to activate since the AI already understands the concept of chancing boats to ocean travel.

Is there any easy way I can reactivate this myself by editing an XML or similar?

Are there any chances that this will be reacitvated for the mod in general? As it is now a civ stranded on an Island will be totally alone until ocean travel which is a really long way away.

Best Regards
Jon

@B.I.B : indeed if you start on a small continent and manage to dominate it early, it can indeed be a long wait before you have ocean going ships.

Two ways to make it easier:
1) build Polynesian culture (requires fish and culture (Oceanian).This allows you to build catamarans early in the tech tree (Sailing tech). Catamarans can cross oceans.
2) find and subdue a secretary bird. This bird can explore and cross oceans. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

These don't allow you to transport units but at least you can map out the surrounding world and contact other civs so you can get tech diffusion to speed up research.

@B.I.B : indeed if you start on a small continent and manage to dominate it early, it can indeed be a long wait before you have ocean going ships.

Two ways to make it easier:
1) build Polynesian culture (requires fish and culture (Oceanian).This allows you to build catamarans early in the tech tree (Sailing tech). Catamarans can cross oceans.
2) find and subdue a secretary bird. This bird can explore and cross oceans. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

These don't allow you to transport units but at least you can map out the surrounding world and contact other civs so you can get tech diffusion to speed up research.

True, but I want something similar to ancient daredevils exploring one or two steps ocean to get to the hard to reach land on the other side. I hope I remember correctly so that this is a feature that can easily be reactivated.

Best Regards
Jon

Top Bottom