TSG95 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG95 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use your UU and was it effective?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- Do you like playing Deity level games?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Horrible defeat at turn 186. My biggest mistake was leaving Germany with one city, within 30 turns they had 3 more cities and attacked Berlin with 8 CB, 2 knights, 3 longswordsmen and a trebuchet (and I remembered why I rarely play at Deity level). Poland took the opportunity to declare war, as did the Zulus. I fought off Germany and Poland and killed their last troops while they attacked my capital, and I thought I would have a few turns to regroup, but then the Zulus attacked from the sea and took my capital with frigates and caravels. After that I just declared war on everyone to see which would get my last city (Germany took it after Poland weakened it).

I'm going to play that one again once or twice with some different tactics to see if I can fare any better.

Victory at Turn 268. I played a very safe strategy that mostly ignored Assyria's uniques.

Early- and mid-game I focused on allying all the city-states while teching up. I only started building an army in the late Industrial era, after I had Brandenburg Gate up and Military Academies everywhere. Artillery took two capitals before I got Rocket Artillery. All the XP buildings meant I quickly got a lot of Range + Logistics Rocket Artillery, and these formed the backbone of my army. I eventually added in some X-COMs for spice and used a couple Bombers for Poland.

Poland was very successful and ended up conquering the majority of the old German and Hunnic lands. Casimir was my closest ally for the entire game, until Turn 267, when I backstabbed him and quickly sniped his capitals to secure the victory.

Victory screenshot and links to extended writeup are in spoilers.

Attachments

• Victory!.jpg
    Victory!.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 862
Well I rage quit. Rage at myself, finished the tech tree by t290, was swimming in money and slowly but surely making my way to the 4 caps left (Rome and Ulundi with Shaka, Athens and Tenochtitlan) 1 city every 2-3 turns depending on happiness). I was Besties with Shaka and he was helping fund the wars. Everybody was afraid as they were at least 12 techs behind. Then just lost patience thinking missile nuking and Xcoming my way and DOWing everybody would move this faster. But I stalled, mostly because Without realizing I nuked a couple of CSs and they hate me now and fighting the war on 3 fronts plus the sea is taking like an hour per turn. Probably need another 40 turns to finish them off, and that's waaay to many hours. Such a pity.

Moderator Action: Sorry to hear about this, sounds like you were hanging in there. Moved to After Action thread as XComs and Nukes couldn't possibly have been around in the first 100 turns.

Edit: yes sorry about that posted on the wrong thread. Anyway, great GOTM. Map was amazing, and the set up positively evil. So much fun!

Game: Civ5 GOTM 95
Date submitted: 2014-10-08 20:13:12
Reference number: 31773
Your name: glory7
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1160AD
Turns played: 176
Base score: 2069
Final score: 5911
Time played: 8:42:00
Submitted save: glory_gotm95_0176 AD-1160.Civ5Save
Renamed file: glory7_C509501.Civ5Save

~t149 (Athen taken) : Opening action thread

Greece still got 3 wonders (Himeji, GLight, and Colossus). And he is also tech leader by 5% - which means, I can take his techs for free! my spy already stole gunpowder and printing press from him, and capturing two cities gave acoustics and banking, but I am still hungry :)

Spoiler :

I got economics and architecture (and compass? I can't even remember as there were too many techs...)

I saw that one of his cities has a public school, so I knew that he got sci theory. When I was about to capture his last city, his tech rate was 2% higher than mine, which means he got 1 more tech that I don't know. by looking at the required beakers, I realized that the other tech was metallurgy, which I almost researched. I waited 2 turns so that I can finish metallurgy, and t159 I got guaranteed sci theory.

t159. Greece is out, and I liberated CS captured by Zulu. I saw that Zulu caravels were sailing around, so I knew that I was going to get astronomy.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

t160. Aztec is out. He built Mosque of Zenne right before I captured his cap...

Spoiler :

F9 at t160. I wonder why Zulu impis were that weak.. and 6% approval rate, so -18 unhappy explains this.

Spoiler :

When I liberated a CS, my diplo relationship was good for several turns, and during that time I bought open borders so that I can give/sell cities but still can move around them. I just bought lots of pagodas + public schools with faith, and spammed roads and beelined to Zulu cap.

After taking Zulu cap, I asked for Cumae for the peace, which is right in front of Rome that I need to capture. I could upgrade my logistics+range Xbows to Gatlings, but I don't think that mattered much. I bulbed GS and could get cavalry too.

t176, both caps fall and domination is complete.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I haven't counted them exactly, but I think I got 14 techs from UA and 2 from spying.

Poland (2): philosophy and horseback riding
Germany (3): iron working, drama and poetry, and civil service (or optics)
Huns (2): optics (or civil service), chivalry
Greece (8): acoustics, banking, printing press (spy), gunpowder(spy), economics, architecture, and sci theory. Since I took 6 cities, there should be one more - I think it was compass.
Zulu (1): Astronomy

Ok for people who doesnt wanna with or be apart of the GOTM I can say a science victory is very easy to obtain. Got it at turn 265 or so with only 3 cities..

There is no problem with submitting a Science victory. All VC's are welcome.

We target a specific VC because a big part of GOTM is learning and if most people go for the designated VC, then the games are more comparable and it helps people to learn.

Turtled it to artillery but seems I waited too long for war and didn't scout enough. Invited Bismarck to war against Poland and ended up tripping all over his units. I took Lodz but Poland re-took then Bismarck immediately took it from him expelling my units from his borders (and away from Warsaw). Quickly bought open borders but was too late - Bismarck added another city to his empire... :(

Kept going figuring I'd save him for last. He was already at war with Mongolia so I kept rolling. Again, tripping over his units so he got Hsia but I took Beshablik (?) then a quick peace deal (and another city which I sold to Monty) to heal up and reposition units for capital.

Just as I got in position I someone bought Monty's last pair of blue jeans... :(

Should have kept a closer eye on the culture progress. As everyone was at war all game and I was able to get some wonders I didn't think it was an issue. How wrong was I?!?

Game:Civ5 GOTM 95
Date submitted:2014-10-11 08:29:37
Reference number:31778
Your name:RaidandTrade
Game status:Culture Loss
Game date:1725AD
Turns played:255
Base score:1023
Final score:1023
Time played:3:50:00
Submitted save:Ashurbanipal_0255 AD-1725.Civ5Save
Renamed file:RaidandTrade_C509501.Civ5Save

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Date submitted: 2014-10-17 07:43:41
Reference number:31805
Your name: golem
Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 326
Base score: 2583
Final score: 3973
Time played: 17:14:00
Submitted save: Ashurbanipal_0326 AD-1906.Civ5Save

This game was horribly difficult for me, too much wars, too much time. First time I won conquest on Deiti.

In the beginiinig all was fun – I went for Siege towers, conquered Poland and Germany. Next I persuad Alexandr to war with Zulus (he was always eager to fight, so it was easy) and conquered Attila Court with Great Wall. Next I had to wait for cannons, as others had too much units.

Next I conquered Karakoram with cannons. Alexandr had too much units everywhere, he conquered Aztecs and his empire was very large. Zulus conquered Rome, and all land was full of their units. Alexandr was very good in science, I had to eliminate him first – but he had too much riflemans for my cannons.

I waited for artillery, with it I managed to conquer several cities of Alexandr and Zulus. Main problem was, that Alexandr was allied almost with all city states – so I had to wait to ally some of them. In the end I captured some cities and Athens too, I was happy to receive all new technologies but I had to make peace when he came with WWI infrantry..

I wanted to finish with Rocket artillery – but again, when I attack Greece they had a lot of battleships, Zulus had bombers and fighters. After heavy fights I lost almost all units, but riched Ulundi,Tihuatican and Rome.

The rest was done with four Atomic bombs.

I went all Tradition and Honour, I suppose I had about 12 GG during the game. I made a lot of citadels, it helped a lot.

I really enjoyed this game, thank you Leif

First domination victory at diety. I havent yet tried to finish this way on this level, when I play I usually war a little less. Late game is taking forever with all the unit movement and with tons of cities... I even ended up automating my workers(!).

- Took out Poland early - siege towers are amazing I found out. Shouldnt have stopped without Germany also falling.
- I made sure the world was waring the whole game.
- Build way to many wonders.. just felt I had to since I could spam em at Diety for once :o
- Both Zulu and Huns grew *large* after taking out others, so it was just the three of us for what seemed to be half the game.
- Tradition. Honor. Autocrazy. With points in Rationalism and Commerce.
- Took sience lead rather early (stole 2 techs early, and 1 late through conquest). Made me take the foot of my science-pedal for once.
- Used mainly stealth bombers and x-com's. X-com's are the best, rarely get to use em normally....

Finally Asyria was conquered in AD 1100by Cassimir.

Everything went smoothly until turn 84, when I conquered Berlin and razed 2 other german cities. Huns were my ally and helped attack germany. I decided not to backstab him at this point in time and went for Poland. Then Atilla asked me to attack Zulu (dont know why he wanted that), but I denied. So then Atilla Dowed me a couple turns later when my army just defeated polish infantry. Atilla took Berlin quickly and went for my capital. I made peace with Poland and defended against hunic knights. He was very nice to settle some small xities next to me, which fell to my XBows and siege towers. But in the meantime Alex was teching lika mad and conquesting his neighbors so I knew everuthing was lost. So when Casimir Dowed me I just waited if he can mange to take my defenseless capital. I took him about 25 turns as there were 2 citadels, 1 Xbow annd 1 trireme defending. In the meantime I liberated Bismarck from Atilla again.

But I enjoyed this experience on deity.

Finally manged to finish this game... the start was loads of fun but as usual deity domination mopup gets tedious, so late game is kinda botched - could have saved a bunch of turns if I had correctly planned the attack on Karakorum (last capital)
Spoiler :
Game: Civ5 GOTM 95
Your name: bc1
Game date: 1110AD
Turns played: 171
Base score: 1590
Final score: 4676
Time played: 17:13:00
Submitted save: AutoSave_0171 AD-1110.Civ5Save
Renamed file: bc1_C509501.Civ5Save

Top Bottom