Idea for Civ VI combat

pwnerer

Chieftain
I've been thinking about this for a while and think it would make the game alot better:

Combining 2 units on 1 tile into a unit formation. Sure you could have single units running around like normal for recon, frontier defense etc. But when you combine 2 units, you get to set a formation that gives bonuses/has weaknesses.

Combining warrior+archer means you can choose skirmish or line formation. Skirmish moves faster and shoots 2, line moves slower and shoots 1. In both cases, when these guys are shot, they shoot back (if within range) for a small amount of damage

You could then research to get things like square formation, roman tortoise, phalanx formation. Square would be immobile and unflankable, but would get blasted by artillery.

You could even have Column formation, where you can put 3 units in one tile, but they suffer a -75% combat modifier and gain no defensive bonuses.

Then you could have unique formations like cantabarian circle for the huns, wedge formation for elite cavalary, mob formation for barbarians, etc. Even naval formations like line or fireships or whatever. Or even better the zulu "buffalo horns" formation, or german "schwerpunkt" formation. Or how about a napoleonic "Grand Battery" comprised of 2 cannons.

Anyone have any more formations that could be added?

I do not want to see 2UPT or 3UPT in my civ games again.

well to be fair, they would be "combined" into one stronger unit until/unless you change formation. Also there are currently multiple units per tile. Graphically you can have a warrior sailing with a frigate on top of multiple cargo ships, etc.

I do not want to see 2UPT or 3UPT in my civ games again.

Since I know plenty of people will probably express the same sentiment, let's just also establish up-front that the Civ V version of 1UPT is horrendous in some of its applications*, and focus on ways it could be made better (lest anyone get the idea that it's 100% fine the way it is).

Personally as long as they address the headaches and WTFs associated with 1UPT, I'm fine with pretty much whatever. I'd like to see something akin to Call to Power's system of limited stacking that encourages mixed units and some planning but doesn't mire you in a Total War scenario when I'm trying to play Civ. (That, after all, is what Total War is for. ;) )

*Examples: third-party scout sitting near an enemy city = you lose men/can't take a location or city. City-state units disrupting pathing. The mind-boggling tedium of moving a large army anywhere (and God help you if they need to embark). Unit clutter making some parts of the map literally inaccessible (especially on Immortal and Deity). Some types if units being unable to move through some other types of non-hostile units. Trolling the crap out of AI/human opponents by clogging or blocking their paths. These are not the only issues.

The only type of unit joining this game needs is the ability to attach a military unit and a civilian unit so they stay on the same tile as they move.

The only version of unit stacking I think is fair is probably allowing units from different civilizations to share the same tile, unless they are at war with the same enemy.

Top Bottom