The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #8 - Sweden

Turns 132-292

Map providers optional quests.
1. Found protestantism and get Defender of the faith
2. Build NO world wonders!
3. You can't DOW. If someone attacks you, you can't make peace until after you conquered the attackers capital!

I think we need #4 Quest here... You can only win via Domination!

Spoiler :
I decided to finish this game out even though I bribed wars through the whole game. I think next time I see a rule that states you can't start a war I will play much different. Something like No Bribes, No Dows, No Defensive Pact, No Team up with me and kill Shaka :). I realize that isn't what was intended but it sounds a little more difficult this way.

Anyway, I played a basic Turtle game and since I could not build 1 world wonder my culture was pretty bad except when I won WF. First game I didn't try for the PT. Long story short I gifted almost all my GP's to the CS's except for the GS's and 1 GA that I got a Golden Age at the very end. The Mongols took out 2 CS's early but no matter I controlled all 14 of the others pretty early on and put all spies in for Diplomats but couldn't get any of my Friends to vote for me. I was waiting to make my Church the World Religion but I waited too long and missed out on those 2 votes lol. So 41 out of 39 needed for the Diplo Win.

I think the map was unfair to Alex but once again this is Immortal and you can do whatever you want to do once you know the basics of this game. I only got 3 deep into Order and I went Full Trad, Full Ratio, Opened Honor and Opened Patronage.

I see why the Defender of the Faith was a Rule since it unlocked the achievement so that was nice to get. Also, just as in real life only two cities were left following the path of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ since any GP's were gifted to CS's. Otherwise a very simple, stress free game. Thanks Gus! One of these days why don't you post up one or more of your games and some pics for us to look at ?!

I had role playing, rather then challenge, in mind when I came up with the optional rules.

Defender of the protestantism is Gustav Adolfs thing from propaganda. I did not know it was an achievement but that make sense!

Sweden has no world wonder - their castles and stuff is not impressive enough.

And the last one "swedish peace" is from the last 25 years of the swedish empire when they got attacked from all fronts and the stubborn king fought back with vengeance.

I like the last rule and to add only domination win is really interesting.

Usually I have played the the maps months ago and forgot details about my game. I would love to participate in posting with my first playthrough.. second is just not the same... Speaking of with - the deity challenge lineup is shifting host and I have no claim what so ever to keep this for myself. If someone would like to post some challenges, just say so. :)

Interesting. Even after Tradition nerf, people still autopick it.

t100
Spoiler :
Lotsa gold. I love raging barbs, many quests fulfilled, returned some workers, kept a barb/Ethiopian worker. Pissed that I didn't get a religion - Korea nabbed DofAurora first. I took Goddess of Hunt, which has been very helpful, bummed I will lose it.

Wandered a bit, and settled river hill to the W. I probably should have expo'd Mt Kailash first - but I didn't want to lose the W ivory cluster with gold in range. Then settled near RoG which has been a cash machine but no production - there were still barbs everywhere at that point, and I was not keen on further forward settling Mongolia and Zulu with no intention of Domination. 4th city will have decent food, I had planned to settle SE near river, near silver, but wanted to block Ethiopia. Had DOF offered from Khan and Shaka, no thanks. Bribed one war, looked like nothing happened. Considered bribing Khan to take Florence - 9 horses might fuel him enough to take down Shaka. Shaka hit Medieval a while ago, I can't believe he hasn't DOW'd anyone, and won't take bribes, wtf? He even has a religion, which seems rare. Still haven't met 8th civ.

Got lots of goodies, popped a pop hut when I settled (nice), AH, map, culture, 95g. Opened Trad, then opened Honor, filling Trad. Tech-wise not so good, haven't even started NC yet. BO - Scout x2, Shrine, Granary, Archer x3, Worker, Settler x2, Archer, etc.
Spoiler :

t164 - Game has gotten wacky - Khan built Machu with only 2 cities, Shaka is pledging protection to CS's and has gone 5 Liberty and 3 Aesthetics??? Alex had OB with Helie, and marched about 5-6 units down to my border, so I bribed him v Heile, and he took 2 cities. I retook them easily with my small force, was gonna liberate, but Harar has several lux, so kept both. Still sending a settler down SE for silver, and for cargo food to Helsinki.

Shaka is not liked, he DOW'd Khan and his expo flipped a lot but finally stayed Zulu. Karakorum was beaten down to 1/3, but is finally trying to rebound - he has a nice mtn in the way. Khan has DOF with Alex, I am considering trying to take his cap from behind. Either that or maybe liberate his expo. Shaka is not in beast mode with no Honor. USA finally DOW'd Shaka, but so far away. Korea expo'd x2 way SE of his cap on other side of mtns, no roads, so vulnerable, I can't believe Shaka didn't take them first.

My plan has just been to fill my space and probably go Diplo, which would be easier if Alex got crushed. SV should be easy, I don't relish trying for late DomV with all the bad terrain. Losing my food from camps has been a big setback, but at least Heile's religion has Mosques.

I proposed WF, should maybe have done Arts Funding for more GP, but keeping Korea happy for now, long-time DOF with him and USA. Will likely go Order to have a better shot at late game DOFs. Heile is down to one city, but I think he'll keep it.
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
The two natural wonders will give a lot more early-game fpt than Dance of Aurora if you take One with Nature pantheon, but that Mt.Kalisah placement is kind of iffy.

I never played Sweden, and would love to do a peaceful CV, but with that terrain it will be too difficult. I'll try something else.

Even with this nerf, Tradition is still very strong. If you are playing for a peaceful CV... Tradition (IMO) is still the best opener. What do you think would be stronger? I think the downside to playing for a CV with this Civ is you will not make full use of its UA. In my game I gifted all the GA's, GM's, and GW's. When playing for CV you can't gift these GP's plus if you play with the optional quests you will not be able to build any Wonders.

Spoiler :
The two natural wonders will give a lot more early-game fpt than Dance of Aurora if you take One with Nature pantheon, but that Mt.Kalisah placement is kind of iffy.

I never played Sweden, and would love to do a peaceful CV, but with that terrain it will be too difficult. I'll try something else.

Spoiler :
I was happy to stay in my little corner, for the most part, and so a tundra pantheon seemed perfect. The opportunity to expand N caught me off-guard. But any chance to weaken Alex is a good thing. I'm just not very good with Liberty, and am always surprised (esp on Immortal) how I can usually get a really good wide empire going after a solid Tradition base.

Jesus. Now I remember why I hate Haile Selassie with a passion. Once he starts rolling with his religion and wonder whoring, there is no stop to it.

Even with this nerf, Tradition is still very strong. If you are playing for a peaceful CV... Tradition (IMO) is still the best opener. What do you think would be stronger?
Well, I wasn't talking about CV in particular. Just about people still going Tradition.

I think the downside to playing for a CV with this Civ is you will not make full use of its UA. In my game I gifted all the GA's, GM's, and GW's. When playing for CV you can't gift these GP's plus if you play with the optional quests you will not be able to build any Wonders.
You can gift admirals/prophets/generals and keep the rest. The main benefit is that if you go peaceful and make a bunch of DoF's, your great people generation will be boosted significantly. Perhaps, that is why Sweden also has a tundra bias which is generally poor production. Imagine Gustavus with Pisa, 5-6 DoF's, and Arts Funding popping out Uffizi, Sistine, Globe, Taj Mahal. :crazyeye:

Usually I have played the the maps months ago and forgot details about my game. I would love to participate in posting with my first playthrough.. second is just not the same... Speaking of with - the deity challenge lineup is shifting host and I have no claim what so ever to keep this for myself. If someone would like to post some challenges, just say so. :)

Honestly I have been waiting for India to show up on the Deity Challenge but if your ok with it I will mess about with rolling a map for the next game. I can send you the file when I find one I think might be fun. This will mean I will go and play a few maps with India up to turn 50 or so and figure out which one might work. Im sure we won't get as many people wanting to play since it is India but Id like some more practice with them if your ok with it. If so let me know where to send you the file?!

Edit:Ok so I rolled the first map and played the first 40 turns. I think I like this map/game/civ. Even if you do not post it I think I will play it out since I really see a challenge for my game here. I always think Immortal is easy but in this game so far I really have no good plan. Im not sure how to expand with them even though I know you actually need less resources to make them work in the long run. Some people think they are broken because of this but I find them fun to play. Here is a picture of the start and we can go from there. I did disable all map packs but that is the first time trying that so I hope it worked. I chose to do a Fractal map since I think they offer some of the best maps since you really can't be sure if it is Pangea, Conts or something else. I think this map offers a choice of either builder game or warmonger. I also like the way things are placed so far since it offers some early crossroads. Im sure this map has many issues that people will not like as well but that is just the nature of the beast. I really like the idea of having to make a serious choice on turn 0! Do you go coastal for the Cargo Ships or do you play for the Mtn with the Observatory? Choice number 3 is do you go coastal and forget the Mtn but settle on the Sugar since Sugar needs Masonry and Calendar to hook up. This way you get it with just Calendar. I like that choice the best but it wasn't what I did. Hindsight is always 20/20! Ofcourse choice number 4 is go for a walk with your settler and try to settle up next to a close civ if you have a close neighbor. I've made that work but other times you get stuck wishing you would of just settled on turn 0! :)

I always forget to play a SS strategy with any civ on Immortal which Glory7 and others have showed is very easy to win fast. I need to learn how to do that better since it is a great way to hyper expand and win via CV. My major problem is I think I can just go kill all the Civs on Immortal and forget we have many ways to win.

Attachments

• India Turn 0.jpg
    India Turn 0.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 84
I love India! Have been trying to roll a map with them.

Post it on wednesday! I'm traveling far from Internet during the next week anyway so it would be perfect if you take over as host!

I love India! Have been trying to roll a map with them.

Post it on wednesday! I'm traveling far from Internet during the next week anyway so it would be perfect if you take over as host!

Sounds good. I can do that but I do not know how you guys start the thread. I don't know how you guys get the picture inserted to make it so big. I really do not want to sign up to some website to post a pic and send it to this site. I like how you can just attach the file to this site with manage attachments but it is just a small pic at the bottom until you open it up. So I can take over for you till you want it back but you will have to help me a bit to get it started!

Sounds good. I can do that but I do not know how you guys start the thread. I don't know how you guys get the picture inserted to make it so big. I really do not want to sign up to some website to post a pic and send it to this site. I like how you can just attach the file to this site with manage attachments but it is just a small pic at the bottom until you open it up. So I can take over for you till you want it back but you will have to help me a bit to get it started!

Ok. Send your map of choice to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com and I'll post it. Did you remember to put the map packs off when rolling it?

I can probably get a map posted tonight after work if you need one. Let me know.

I never beat this map but remembered it as fun so I replayed it. I had domination in mind with my special rule, not to declare war. Went full tradition instead of my usual honor. Since there's no luxuries and little food on the start location it went slow but u managed to found 3 expos on nice spots.

The turns went by and I forgot to provoke my neighbours into war and nobody attacked. The whole game turned into one of the most peaceful games I ever had. I tried for culture but with Ethiopia beeing a beast i had to abandon that plan and took a late and lazy science win at turn 331.

This map is actually pretty neat. And since few people played it i decided to bump this!

BUMP! :D

Yuk, made a complete mess of this. My sole aim was a diplomatic victory using the Swedish UA. This I achieved eventually, but not as intended! My initial strategy unravelled horribly when I took the camp-food pantheon to help with the tundra start but then failed to found a religion and all my cities were converted to AI religions:- this left me with very small hungry cities. I also helped create a runaway by overuse of war bribes and eventually had to deal with them using "Traditional Methods" (pointy sticks) as I was in danger of losing the game.

Spoiler :
I took Tradition with the Honor starter (probably a mistake), then straight into Rationalism without sufficient pop or happiness to make it work. America become a total runaway by bulldozing Shaka at my behest and then took Autocracy as first Ideological pick. I had to follow them into Autocracy to avoid major happiness problems so took this an an excuse to go war-mongering. I had up to 5 DoF to utilise the UA and generated many GP which were used to buy CS favour (except for GS). I won the first World Leader vote with some room to spare, helped by votes from a very grateful resurrected Shaka.

Another long game! Rough and slow start. I decided to try something different and go wide with honor... I wanted to have a wide empire and I also wanted gold for kills when for farming great generals for CS donations.

Spoiler :

I wanted to win domination but the map had very rough terrain and just before I was about to conquerd the last capital I had collected enough votes to win. Felt wrong not doing so.

The most challenging immortal map so far. Many different kind of runnaway AI-civs with protected capitals and few early luxuries.

Tradition opener, full honor, full patronage and some good stuff from autocracy! (I also forgot about my pretty strong religion.)

Spoiler :

Top Bottom