War mongering alive and well in BNW

northernscribe

Chieftain
With all the new culture and world congress mechanisms, I was afraid that my standard way to win, (Arabia, desert folklore, camel archer rush and crush) would be go the way of the Dodo bird, but, thank god, it's not the case at all. After a few king games winning on culture with Poland and Shoshone, I decided to go back to my tried and true, Arabia, on Emperor again (I've won once on Immortal in G&K this way, but it's map dependant). Anyway, happy to report that war mongering is alive and well. I built four cities with liberty opener, then piety tree. My religion wasn't dominant, but it was enough to get me some happiness. When my chariot archers grew up into camel archers, I started my usual assault, attached the zulus, who everyone hated anyway (those impi are very irritable, but camel archers put them in their place eventually). I had just got my religion the world religion at the first WC, which I was fortunate enough to host (sure glad the AI doesnt beeline toward printing press), when the civ next to me, Indonesia, built the forbidden palace. Ok, so every game there are bits of luck and bad luck. This game, there was not one natural wonder anywhere near me, and my capital was not in the desert (my satellite cities were). But, on the bright side, there's that brand spanking new FP in my back yard with my camel archers just dying for somthing to do. I took jakarta easily, and at the second WC, I had six delegates, everyone else had one. Would have been very hard to embargo me, not that anyone even tried.
I just bulldozed my way through the pangea map, when trebuchets became available I started building a few, then beelined dynamite and upgraded to artillery for the last two civs. In short, it was very similar to most G&K games using this strategy. I was even leading in culture as I accumulated no small amount of great works as plunder. Probably could have won that way, but I'm impatient and it takes too long.
So if you're tired of your tourism "rising slowly" and just want to dominate a little, go ahead, it can still be done. I will say they made it slightly harder in that instead of having to be the only one with your original capitol, you have to OCCUPY all original capitols (so if monte or shaka takes another civ's capitol, you can't, [like G&K] just say "welp, one less capitol for me to take," you have to take that occupied capitol too).
Other than that, just start conquering, and if the FP isn't built in a town near you, just bribe a few civs in case they try to embargo you. But hosting the WC and getting world religion is key, I think to controlling ht eearly WC votes. In the end game, you have enough gold to buy enough city states to avoid an embargo, and the game's over before modern war starts.

You got it. When you are able to set the WC to your benefit, domination has become a lot easier.
And, by the way, I love the new mechanic for domination. You actually have to conquer the whole world now. I had previous games where one civ had all f the capitals, so I just had to take his. That was too easy.

Top Bottom