"Interesting Deity Start" Series

Oh yeah, I've broken through the GW many times. But it's much more of a PITA than it should be for its hammer cost. As protection against DomV invasion, it becomes one of the 3 most powerful wonders along with Pyramids (for pillage-heal) and Prora.

Turns 261-300

Spoiler :
I just kept slugging it out and took down Boston 271 but had to trade it back to the Yanks a few times. It took some time but I got into Atlanta on Turn 298 and sold it to Alex and USA took it back 299 and I captured it and kept if for 1 turn. I am thinking of selling it back to Alex go and take Itza and sell that city on my way to Palenque. Perhaps I will continue on after that and Liberate the 2 CS's that USA controls. and hope to give him peace after that.

The game is starting to get in jeopardy of a loss. Even though I am only 9% behind in Tech this is the lowest spt this late in the game I have ever attempted. I think my record SV was something like 670spt and still won. Of course if you want respect you need to pull over 2k in spt and win pre 250 or even under 200 Turns. I still think it is pretty tough to win with very low spt the whole game and can make the game more even against the AI.

I did Liberate Zanzibar on turn 276 but Greece bought them out. Poland got wiped out by Greece on turn 262. I have the Manhattan Project up and can maybe get some nukes in about 11 turns. If I lose at least I can nuke the Yanks a few times!!

Turns 301-376 Game Completed!

Spoiler :
I have been defeated!

I will post up a better write up later but I really thought I was going to win this on turn 385 with an SV. I must of missed it but it seemed like Alex was still 3 parts away from Victory but he tricked me pretty good. I thought he was busy with War and it seemed like he wanted a CV but I was unable to push the game past 376 turns as I have before. I had a good time with the game. I may have got a little greedy selling him 3 pretty good cities but they got nuked pretty good anyway so I'm sure that had nothing do with it. I do not mind losing especially the way I play but I was not expecting the Defeated Screen this time lol!

With only 5 downloads of this map I will keep this shorter than the last write up. It was a pretty wild game with Nukes blowing up all around me. Washington Nuked me several times before I got into Palenque but I got in and made peace shortly after. At least I crushed him before losing! I bought one nuke but never used it. Greece and Ethiopia were trading Nukes but Greece was winning that front. Funny to see bombs falling all around my borders. After peace with USA I disband almost all my troops and planes. I just sat back and tried to tech up to win the SV but this time spt was too low and I did get it up to +890 but it was too late. I think selling my only expo hurt and not getting enough faith to buy more GS's didn't help. I was 6 turns away from winning but I was not far off. I find it more fun being in a close race against the AI compared to just winning with no chance of losing. Damn fun game for me though and I am surprised I do not see more downloads/write ups but that is just the way the IDS is.

Notice the GDR swimming in the ocean on the first pic lol! I usually do not see the AI build this unit!

That looks horrible. I hate Fractal Maps 90% of the time.

2nd write up since I deleted the 1st one by mistake!

I am pretty sure I realize now the problem with this style for me. It feels like I have less control in the game and sort of like being in the passenger seat instead of driving. I guess I am a control freak and I feel less in control with this style and it is driving me close to rage quitting which is a feeling I usually can keep in check. I did manage to turn things around a bit. I got Education on turn 106 but I am having a gold problem to be able to buy the University now. I should of planned that out better having the correct amount of gold to buy it as I finished Education. I am growing my capital now and it hurts trying to build anything and am opting to finish the NE instead of trying for a 15 turn university in hopes that I soon can rush buy it.

Spoiler :
I wrote a pretty long description that I was trying to put into a spoiler and I just deleted it and am not going to retype all of that. I basically said kb27787 was right and I was wrong and he is doing a much better job at taking over my style compared to me taking over his style!! It sounded much smoother and nicer than this but I am pretty upset about deleting all those words! Here are some screenshots of how poor I am doing at his style. The main problem is I am still playing like me instead of playing like him and I am having a harder time at adopting the style compared to what I once thought. The saves were posted on the Mongolia DCL thread but seem more suited to be here and to post up the stories here. I guess the old saying " It is easier said than done" is what I am falling prey to here!

Shark Diver is a bit busy right now and is supposed to post up the next IDS game but it has been over 3 weeks now and this isn't exactly for the IDS thread more so than it is for me to try and play like kb27787.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Warning!
The salt save has the map packs disabled but the other two maps have all map packs and all DLC.

Attachments

• sun god victoria.Civ5Save
    507 KB · Views: 45
  • diamonds mountain river.Civ5Save
    507.3 KB · Views: 70
  • salt .Civ5Save
    527.7 KB · Views: 64
Well, FA, since you are playing the sun god map I will also play it when I have time and we can compare empires... :goodjob:

@ kb27787

Spoiler :
That is fine... I played this one with no reloads or prior knowledge and it is a pain. It is really upsetting with no horses or iron to be able to give away for free or trade. I put my spy into Egypt and they say that he is plotting against me and I hope so but not too soon but I would like to get up an army and get Dowed and piss off the world a bit so I can take some cities lol!

Turn 145

Spoiler :
Ok so I put 1 turn into the PT and Egypt builds it on turn 145. That is it. I am going to denounce this DOF and do everything I can to get him to DOW me. He has Sistine and Taj Mahal and PT now.... he is going to die or I am going to die that is it but I won't DOW him I will try to get him to DOW me. This map is very friendly but what a pain for me trying to emulate this peacemonger style! The nice thing is all the Western part of the World is building all the Wonders so maybe I can get them to DOW me one by one wiping them out and taking all those needed Wonders!

Up to turn 180

Spoiler :
I didn't get the memo on the warning but tough choice to go roaming with my settler when all the jungle is on the start and I figure exploit the oranges isn't so bad since I do not have to clear the jungle.
I am hoping all these mean things I did to Egypt will get him to DOW me. I really have only one shot at this and hope Egypt DOWS me and I wipe them out and everyone hates me and starts to DOW me so I can go and capture. The problem is I did not set things up for a peaceful CV early enough I suppose. Egypt got Uffuzi in the Expo right after PT on something like 148!

I do not think I can play your style successfully. I think it is more of a mindset problem for me.

I seem to not be able to play the "good guy" in this game or in RL I suppose lol!

well Fluphen (originally I said you may DoW to liberate) but the heart of the "challenge" was to be a good guy and build your own empire, not conquer other people's wonders :lol: ; but sure if they DoW you I guess you may take whatever you want.

Be warned, although denouncement flavor is quite high for all of them, DoW flavor is low for all the civs in this map.

Sistine is not such a big loss (if you get Louvre or Uffizi) and Taj Mahal is just a crappy wonder. The heart of the matter is to outtech them and then build the later wonders! With your UA you really don't need much to become influential.

Now as for your capitol location selection... (didn't I warn you about the marble trap? That city has nothing going for it and only one lux in the 3 rings) I settled somewhere else and I will give you the rationale why I chose over there later.

Turn 183

Spoiler :
Egypt DOWs turn 183 but will his army be able to beat my artillery and muskets?

I really could not play the total nice guy but I think I am in the parameters of not Bribing or Dowing the AI or only Dowing to steal workers and such but not capture any cities. I guess Denouncing Egypt's DOF India was the last straw that broke his peaceful heart! So instead of Dowing or Bribing I went with Denouncing and Demanding all sorts of things the AI does not like and stealing techs and promising not to steal. Always another exploit to use when you get handcuffed! I know you said to play the total nice guy and be the jewel of the world but you also said if an AI DOWs me that they are fair game and now when I genocide Egypt it should not be a problem getting the world to DOW me as I take one by one out and hopefully do not get the dreaded Total War DOW from all Civs!

:lol: I knew you were going to do that (btw didn't want to make it too hard or too frustrating for you... otherwise I would've also added that you must make peace once the AI asks for it) in the end the CV was not so "peaceful" :goodjob: but that's you.

I just wanted to let you realize playing peaceful and beating them at wonders fairly is not exactly a walk in the park as you claimed it to be, that's all :goodjob: (you aren't beating them to wonders with that capitol size at that turn number anyway)

Now try not to get embargoed and to pass anything in the WC once you've become public enemy #1... (Btw you have ZERO tourism at t180+? what the heck...)

Up to Turn 206

Spoiler :
As I said before I was wrong about that and you were right about playing Peaceful and trying to out build the AI. I mean I was really wrong lol! However that is human and mostly my play style. It is very hard to copy someone as I am finding out.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to win a CV with Peace so I did not worry about tourism since I figure after taking out Civs will give me wonders and Tourism. However it is not so easy to War it up when you have to force the AI to DOW you and you can't bribe anyone to help dwindle down Armies. I have no production in the capital and really Egypt was building some nice Wonders very fast I think Eiffel went on like 157 or something! Also I can't get to Archeology since I need to get to things like Flight and Anti Aircraft lol!

Siam vulched Egypt and sorta helped me but took down a city that I wanted to take so I could sell it so Ideology Choice was just awful. I wanted Freedom for FL but it would take too long. Most of the World went Order so I don't want to get to friendly and only Siam went with Autocracy and they are kinda my only friend so I joined them but the happy pressure is starting to hurt! At least I got one tenet which I chose Industrial Espionage since I am behind in tech and I just really like how it works! What hurts is Eiffel is in that Expo and I really need that but I did get Ufuzzi, Sistine and others for now. I am taking a break but the more I look at it the more I think I have to get Siam to Pounce on me since they have Eiffel and they are close to my army right now.

Up to Turn 206

Spoiler :
As I said before I was wrong about that and you were right about playing Peaceful and trying to out build the AI. I mean I was really wrong lol! However that is human and mostly my play style. It is very hard to copy someone as I am finding out.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to win a CV with Peace so I did not worry about tourism since I figure after taking out Civs will give me wonders and Tourism. However it is not so easy to War it up when you have to force the AI to DOW you and you can't bribe anyone to help dwindle down Armies. I have no production in the capital and really Egypt was building some nice Wonders very fast I think Eiffel went on like 157 or something! Also I can't get to Archeology since I need to get to things like Flight and Anti Aircraft lol!

Siam vulched Egypt and sorta helped me but took down a city that I wanted to take so I could sell it so Ideology Choice was just awful. I wanted Freedom for FL but it would take too long. Most of the World went Order so I don't want to get to friendly and only Siam went with Autocracy and they are kinda my only friend so I joined them but the happy pressure is starting to hurt! At least I got one tenet which I chose Industrial Espionage since I am behind in tech and I just really like how it works!

Well, I'll let you replay and reload as many times you want :goodjob: I think reloads and replays help a lot when learning (I had to practice with reloading a lot too when playing a warmup game for domination on immortal; I didn't really understand how worker baiting works! (hey I put a worker there but they still shot at my units, what gives? lol)

Delayed internet, and autocracy... you better hope Siam wipes everyone out then you can get the +66% bonus from being at war with a common foe...
Otherwise I think someone will eventually launch before your CV comes... (and unhappiness is terrible for a civ that relies on golden ages, although I've heard that autocracy is full of happy... I've never gone autocracy myself even once in my civ career)

Although it is VERY rare for Eiffel to be gone t157 (in that case you have a massive tech runaway... my condolences... those are the toughest to deal with; I wasn't sadistic enough to put Korea in there but it seems Egypt is like Korea this game!); from what I see he teched the top part of the tree (having archaeologists) so for him to have radio too is almost as if he was playing like a human player! With only 3 cities... I can't really understand where his tech is coming from either! You can replay and hope the next try he won't be such a monster.

but even STILL, you could've still won peacefully you know? You will have hermitage + museumx3 + oxford at the very least (and Louvre, because Egypt will VERY rarely open exploration; they are not a seafaring civ); with your UA (which turns GAs into basically GMs which work on everyone and then doubles the strength of your REAL GMs); Brazil's strength is the ability to win with minimal wonders. You WILL need better growth next time though... (and with map knowledge, I am curious where you will choose to settle if you have to do it over again... will you pick a strong spot or will the lure of marble be too tempting?)
Although I think as it is, even if you were to break your mantra and start allowing DoW on your next playthrough, it is very hard to win by pure conquest. The peaceful civs have a lot of defensive flavors and their cities often have huge combat strength very fast.

Thoughts on the Map and my Plan

Spoiler :
I was trying to play peaceful from the get go but when Egypt started to really runaway with the game I knew it was over for that idea and the only way a CV could come with no bribes and DOWs is to have them DOW me and for me to clear the Map. However it is still a tough task fighting 1 AI at a time and hoping to win in the end without being able to Bribe or DOW. I am not joking when I say PT went off and Taj Mahal right after and next Uffuzi in one Expo and Eiffel in the next Expo. Egypt built 4 different Wonders in 3 different cities inside of 15 turns!! I also think he got to Radio first and backtracked to Archeology but not 100% sure how they did it.

I also had a huge struggle for a lot of turns where I had to avoid growth because it was tough to get enough happy to continue to grow.

I dunno I mean like you say my capital isn't set up for peaceful play. I would of had to roam around and I think looking at the land I would of had a 25% chance to move in the right direction. I don't mind losing but I hate to reload the game over and over and even one reload is too much for me since I do not enjoy knowing the map layout in advance. Reloads is the only exploit I will not convert into my games unless something like a crash or I am so messed up on something that I am clicking too fast. Sometimes you amaze me with your roaming if you do not reload because at times it has to be a perfect move. I moved on the Ethiopia DCL since I could see Rome on the 1st or 2nd turn but it can be a high risk move if you do not have great surrounding land which this map was not the easiest of lay ups for Peaceful CV but I will try to stomp out this map and win CV through war by way of DOW from the AI and no bribes and no DOWing with Capture in mind.

After this map I'll try the next one and see if the land and neighbors are an easier set up. I don't know if you see it but Egypt has like 4 Archaeologists in the rear and I've captured 2 as well hoping to use later on if possible. Of course those 4 are gone since I wiped Egypt clean off the map but plan on bringing him back to life later perhaps. Most likely my plan next is to get Siam to DOW me and capture all of his cities and hopefully move West and take every city I see hoping to clear Civs off the map making it easier for me not to have to worry about an AI SV. Perhaps I can get a two front war with the East as well leaving it down to one or two AI cities and poof CV in the end!

Oh FYI ... Egypt had GWBs up for 3 turns bombing my Artillery and Rifles so I didn't want to try to steal the Archeologists before capture and lose more units.

Thoughts on the Map and my Plan

Spoiler :
I was trying to play peaceful from the get go but when Egypt started to really runaway with the game I knew it was over for that idea and the only way a CV could come with no bribes and DOWs is to have them DOW me and for me to clear the Map. However it is still a tough task fighting 1 AI at a time and hoping to win in the end without being able to Bribe or DOW. I am not joking when I say PT went off and Taj Mahal right after and next Uffuzi in one Expo and Eiffel in the next Expo. Egypt built 4 different Wonders in 3 different cities inside of 15 turns!! I also think he got to Radio first and backtracked to Archeology but not 100% sure how they did it.

I also had a huge struggle for a lot of turns where I had to avoid growth because it was tough to get enough happy to continue to grow.

I dunno I mean like you say my capital isn't set up for peaceful play. I would of had to roam around and I think looking at the land I would of had a 25% chance to move in the right direction. I don't mind losing but I hate to reload the game over and over and even one reload is too much for me since I do not enjoy knowing the map layout in advance. Reloads is the only exploit I will not convert into my games unless something like a crash or I am so messed up on something that I am clicking too fast. Sometimes you amaze me with your roaming if you do not reload because at times it has to be a perfect move. I moved on the Ethiopia DCL since I could see Rome on the 1st or 2nd turn but it can be a high risk move if you do not have great surrounding land which this map was not the easiest of lay ups for Peaceful CV but I will try to stomp out this map and win CV through war by way of DOW from the AI and no bribes and no DOWing with Capture in mind.

After this map I'll try the next one and see if the land and neighbors are an easier set up. I don't know if you see it but Egypt has like 4 Archaeologists in the rear and I've captured 2 as well hoping to use later on if possible. Of course those 4 are gone since I wiped Egypt clean off the map but plan on bringing him back to life later perhaps. Most likely my plan next is to get Siam to DOW me and capture all of his cities and hopefully move West and take every city I see hoping to clear Civs off the map making it easier for me not to have to worry about an AI SV. Perhaps I can get a two front war with the East as well leaving it down to one or two AI cities and poof CV in the end!

Oh FYI ... Egypt had GWBs up for 3 turns bombing my Artillery and Rifles so I didn't want to try to steal the Archeologists before capture and lose more units.

nah... if I reload I'd probably settle on t3 or so with perfect moves! :lol: (chances are I settle on t5 or 6... sometimes more (on this map t7-8 or so can't remember) with settler radar it's not too risky (you will note that I pick VERY different spots than some players on the same map to settle, and that I often spend several turns more; however if you know exactly what you are looking for (say, here we are looking for citrus/bananas for sun god tiles and it's apparent the cluster is west) it helps you make the right decisions on where you should go looking (here going west was the obvious choice to me, despite losing river, but an empty river is as bad as it gets) and btw it's not really 25%, it's 50%; your settler and warrior can head off different directions, and when possible, you pick the direction where you think you will have farther line of sight. (here going either west or south would've been both correct but it has to be west because of the luxes in plain sight)

Settling late also has its advantages: it prevents the deity AI from walking into your 4th ring and settling right in your face!

But I would disagree on reloading; sure, in GotM or in serious competitions there are no reloads, but in learning something new it's better to reload and learn from what mistake you made just now (I'm not talking about reloads so your spy can coup successfully every time of course, I'm talking about, say, you were lost on which ideology to pick... you save the game, play one game with one and then reload and play the game with the other; you compare the strengths and weaknesses and then ascertain which choice was the best one for that particular circumstance; you then know what to do if a similar situation comes up in another game). Or hmmm which policy tree is better for warmongering? (in the end I decided that with my playstyle, tradition is still the best) :lol:

(btw the AIs are the same in all the maps; but the land is much different in the next one; if you don't like wandering with your settler, the next one is probably best for you)

Siam DOWs Turn 227!

Spoiler :
It is not that I do not like moving my settler for the first 5 turns or so. I have done this many times since I used to play a lot of Civ Rev which was always a good decision to move. I just meant this map would of been tough because it seems West is the only good choice of the 4 and if you go South it could work too. I guess on this map your probably right it is like 50% but you will lose some turns if you go South. Radar works good but lets say I went East I would of been SoL as they say!

Anyways ... back to this game. It took forever for Siam to DOW. With a ton of red modifiers and coveting my lands. It took me to switch out of his Autocracy to Freedom to finally get the DOW. Meanwhile India and William decided to DOW me together about ten turns prior making me have to sell Salvador to Theodora which wasn't great but not soooo bad. Now my super Army can kill Siam and Kyzyl can do a lot of damage too!

The world pretty much hates me now anyway but at least Theodora is still my pal! It is going to be tough but I think if I can get Rocket Artillery fast enough I have a good chance to pull this off. Time will tell as always. It is a fun game though but not an easy set up for Peaceful CV IMO but what the heck do I know about Total Peace anyway lol!

Update turn 241

Spoiler :
Not so Easy... Tech rate is 63% and we are all neck and neck for the most part. I might be able to do it but I might not. It is a mess and it is very tough having to make the AI DOW me and I want to head West but the enemies are more on the East so it is sorta like I have to clear the East first but I am thinking of splitting up the Army and go in both Directions.

Either way it is not really what I was set out to accomplish and I should just let it go because I most likely can't play that style. However, this map has got me going and it is kinda personal now so I might finish this out for some fun. The next map I will try harder to find a better building spot for the Capital and work on playing "Mr Nice Guy" ... but as the young kids say or I think they say nowadays ---- "Mad Props" to kb27787 for his unique style of peacemonger CV that isn't so easy to adopt as I once thought and violently said!

I kicked off with the Roman map while I think of a better one for myself. I rolled a few times but I didn't really like my starting position even though I very much liked how others were placed. If I can just roll a few more times I think I'll have it. It's kind of historically themed and I wanted to include a feature I'm pretty sure nobody uses, might still do it :)

Screenie attached and I have a save saved if anyone fancies this position. I think I'll take out George and stop warmongering and see how I fare from there, his cap and another city will make it 6, more than enough for the Liberty start to kind of pay off. Win or lose, yeah this is definitely a good map, at first I was kind of frustrated I'll have to fight but since Haile didn't put up much of a resistance, and I think I only lost 1 or 2 CBs because I only attacked with a few anyway. I now have a coupld Balis and a GG ready to roll, couldn't afford to wait for Legions

As you can see, kind of unhappy and strapped for cash at the moment but that will be fixed soon enough, I don't need to grow right now anyway

Attachments

• rome.jpg
    rome.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 92
Oh ya! Your playing this one the right way! I went into this game with a certain plan and didn't let go of that plan till around turn 90. It ended up costing me the game but that is ok because I don't want to be 100 wins and 0 losses since that would make me delete the game from my computer lol!

I think this series has more difficult land and maps and if you can keep with that theme when you post up IDS 8 it would be much appreciated!

Oh... what did USA and Ethiopia go in your game? They both went Liberty in mine and I was surrounded in a hurry lol!

You can always post up your turn 80/81 save on the turn 81 DCL/IDS thread and I/others can take a walk around your empire!

Yeah I was starting to get boxed in as well at which point I said sod it and took the fight to Haile, who went Liberty/Patronage, George went full Honor and Pacal went full Piety. He has the Wall so it might be tricky to deal with him but I suppose a big enough swarm of CBs will break him down.

Something I forgot to write up:

cap build order: scout scout monument shrine granary archers until free settler, 3rd settler, CBs. Once I had enough CBs I made a quick Library and then rolled 3 Balis

expos: monument archer library granary

tech: pottery mining archery AH (got horses now), BW (for iron) Calendar (sniped the Lake Vic location which had wine lying around), beeline for CBs (had them before turn 60)

SP: not much to say, left hand Liberty, then right hand Liberty.

Gameplan is Culture Autocracy, I always wanted to try it out.

I also started out the Brazil salt variant but not sure if I'll continue. Screenie for bragging purposes, it's a new personal record :) a pair from both Gandhi and Theo, one from Kame and one from a CS. It took them all forever to arrive though so my NC is delayed by a fair bit.

Attachments

• slavery.jpg
    slavery.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 75
No problem... and thanks for the stats! Do you want me to add pages for you to the stats site? It is no problem and since you are giving me more stats than most players I think it will look good if your into that sort of thing!

The Brazil Maps were more for me to try some kb27787 style games and are really not part of the numbered thread. However, if a player does choose to complete one of those maps and post up results I will count them toward the leaderboards and statistic pages! I guess I will list them as the kb27787 series and post them as 1,2,3.

Sure why not :)

What I meant was, I have work early in the morning and when I come home I need coffee, dinner, that sort of thing and there simply aren't enough hours in the day :lol:

Aright, here's my contribution to the series, if I may, I'll call it the IDS 8 already so, here goes

IDS #8 - Ottomans, Deity, Standard, Pangaea

Starting location:
Spoiler :

As you can probably guess, this is a bit of a "rewriting history" theme, even though one would assume I of all people should be glad history happened as it did. However, a certain event that happened in late 17th century was so epic that I keep reading all about it over and over trying to find out new facts (I can't!).

The grand prize is obviously waiting for you yonder, but I kind of made an effort to give a good enough start both in food and in production. One of the previous rolls had the Civs lined up almost perfectly for my taste but the starting location simply couldn't offer much production to be any good.

Aright, try to have fun with it, I handpicked pretty much every setting, oh and there's one tiny bit I checked which you will likely notice fairly soon :)

If anything doesn't work, make sure to notify me, I think it's the fairly standard "all DLCs but not the map packs" thing

Attachments

• IDS #8 - Ottomans.Civ5Save
    517.4 KB · Views: 70
  • start.jpg
    start.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 210
Top Bottom