The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #16 Siam

Here we have a well-fought game, but a sad ending. If you'd like to learn or have advice for me, please read on...

For those who are tl;dr, we'll start with the bare facts:

Spoiler :

UU: Narusens (strong knight). Didn't know that they didn't need horses. Nice. They really soaked up damage as well. They were excellent and fast meat sheilds. I only popped two, but they were welcome additions.

UB: Wat - Uni replacement with +3 culture. Excellent. Plus 3 culture on a building I will spam as soon as its available. It won't break the game, but I'll take it. That culture comes at a point in my games where culture is at its abosolute nadir, so it is actually quite welcome. Still, you can't argue that it's an incredibly useful UB.

UA: +50% yeilds from CS allies (food, faith, culture). I typically love this bonus, since in my own games I have between 25 and 35 CS usually. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good gpt rolling early, so I didn't get to take advantage of CS culture to get me to the industrial era. Wah-wah. This was quite an oversight on my part. With so many faith and cultural CS on this map, I should have been setting aside cash for CS quests instead of buying tiles and pikemen.

My initial capital BO: Scout, scout, Shrine, Archer, Warrior, Settler, Settler, Water Mill, Library, Granary, Oracle (suspended during), NC

Tech Order: (Mining from ruin), Pottery, Archery, Beeline to Construction (Masonry, Wheel), Writing, Philo, Bronze Working, Iron Working (I'm looking at you, Atilla), Sailing, Optics, beeline Civil Service then Education. Beeline Printing Press, Steel, Beeline Scientific Method, then beeline Radio (same path). Beeline Astronomy (to meet the rest of the CS), beeline Fertilizer (FOOD!), Beeline Refrigeration, Beeline Plastics.

Policy: Trad, Patronage to +20 influence, then switch to Rationalism when rennaisance reached.

NC at turn: 103

DoW: Atilla, turn 152. 2 cities captured (including capital), peace on turn 180.

Worker Steal: Turn 26 DoW on Ife to steal first worker. Stole again on turn 55 and 77. Made peace after that for some chance at friendship with Ife later.

DoF: Portugal turn 40.

Starting loc rationale: I Moved two tiles to the southeast in order to secure a coast/river start. I hate to give up hills... I REALLY hate to give up a hill start... But I will need CS trade routes and that means a deep water captial, baby. I also sacrifice a salt, but I will plant my first expo in that direction if possible. Salt is just a ridiculous lux to have, in that it is the only improvement which boosts food, gold, and production with one stroke.

Expos: West of capital, within range of FoY (Turn 53). BO: Comp Bow (suspended during), Library, Granary, Caravan
East of capital, gobbling up 3 salt, cotton, and tons of desert flood plains for my desert folklore faith pantheon (Turn 62). BO: Comp Bow (suspended, like an idiot, because I then cash-bought the library), Granary, Cargo Ship

Now, here's how it all went:

Spoiler :

Popped a turn 2 ruin that gave me mining, which tells me that I'm going to steal a worker SOON!!! Very nice gift with salt nearby. Also on turn 2, I met... Atilla the Freakin Hun. Oh yay. Now I'm thinking that I really hope Shaka is on the other side of that guy. Otherwise, I guess it's good to have mining already reasearched. I will prioritize construction earlier in this game for the composite bows. Perhaps Iron Workang as well, but that begins to take me out of my ideal tech path. I like to get to the civil service benchmark pretty quickly if I can. Ironically, I always wind up with a turn 130 NC, but I'm determined that won't happen this time! Turn four popped another ruin, this one giving me a map of the west. I can see a city state's borders and... holy... there are three salt, cotton, and the Cerro-de-Moneys natural wonder. I want this spot, but I will have to forward-settle Atilla to get it. Am I that balsy? Turn 8, met Ife to the west. I am not thinking strongly about religion in this game, since I am going to try to focus on gold for CS Allies. However, if a by-product of CS alliances is a religion, then I won't argue with it. I typically try for a religion, but I find that it can create enemies that I don't want to have. Turn 10, met Jerusalem and am of course immediately thinking, "Well religion ain't so bad..."

Also popped a third ruin which converted my newly minted scout into an all-terrain archer. I'll take it! Makes me think that going after Atilla before he comes for me might be an option. I don't typically go for archery early (Temple of Artemis is awesome but goes away before I even have a worker out), but I might in this case and just whack Atilla (or slow him) while I have a chance. I know I can't keep pace with the immortal AI in the early game. (I am not a diety player, by the way. Immortal is the level that I find challenging and I do not consistently win yet... at least not without reload and IGE... :) In any event, mo' archers is better. By the way, Jerusalem's proximity to Cerro-de-moolah makes it pointless to go after. Met the Shoshone turn 12 and had the pleasure of popping a ruin right in front of their pathfinder.

I got Calendar from it, which is very useful, given that it leads to philosophy and the NC, as well as making it possible to improve the incense to the south of my capital. I was also the first to meet Brussels, turn 13. Met Maria of Portugal on turn 17. I can't see where she's coming from yet, so I don't know if she'll be a target for Atilla or not. Found a turn 21 faith ruin, which let me choose desert folklore as my pantheon.

This pretty much solidifies my startegy. I'm going to have to forward-settle Atilla in order to grab the huge swath of desert next to his cap. That means early war. I've not pulled off this kind of start before, though I'm familiar with it from the forums. I'm hoping not to mess it up in the execution. War is about letting your opponent smash himself against your ranged units in this game. You bleed your opponent dry and then move forward. I always make the mistake of thinking that I've bled the AI out and move forward too quickly. The idea of war at higher difficulties is that you don't lose units. If you're manufacturing replacements all the time, you are probably doing something wrong, because there is no way you will out-produce the AI. In any event, my problem tends to be losing units with no gain (like a capital). This is an old habit from playing on King/Emporer. On those levels, if you are trading a melee for a melee, it is a win, because you can produce a promoted replacement faster than your opponent. But I digress...

Turn 26, stole a worker from Ife and opened tradition. Atilla has three warriors dancing around a great general that he somehow spawned sometime before turn 20. Are you kidding me? I realize it's the second honor policy, but geez. :)

Early screens:

Spoiler :

Salt, coast, river... What else do you want? (A hill, anyone?)

Spoiler :

Really? Turn 20 GG? REALLY?!

Spoiler :

Can anyone say, "Desert Folklore, please?"

Back to the game:

Spoiler :

Turn 26: Fountain of Youth?! Sweetness to go with the salt. This map looks to be pretty fun. Turn 47 bribed Atilla to DoW my BFF Portugal for salt and 2gpt. Turn 53, forward settled right on the Shoshone for the FoY bonus. Mixed with double salt and two new luxes made this spot hard to pass up. I am currently planning on three self-founded cities. I think with two rather agressevely settled expos, I'm going to have my hands full trying to defend just those three cities. They have the potential for true awesomeness with this dirt though. Settled my second expo in Atilla's face where the desert and cotton are, near Jerusalem. Both cities began to grow quickly without many improved tiles.

Turn 79, I paid Shoshone to DoW Ethiopia, so hopefully they will keep each other occupied. Shoshone wanted friendship next turn, which I accepted. I have thus managed to get both my forward-settled neighbors to go hostile in another direction. Hopefully I've bought time to get a defensive army up and stave off the inevitable invasion. Turn 81, I founded my religion. (Bewbs, for those who are interested in awesome custom names for your religion. "Kuala Lumpur wants Bewbs." Bwahahaha... I'm so immature.) I went with Tithe (+1 gpt for every four followers) and Mosques (+3f, +2cult, +1happy building). Mosques are neat and lean a little toward faith, and tithe is my go to belief if I don't think I can keep cities converted. With tithe, you get the benefit on a per-follower basis. I have noticed that the game bases the gold bonus on total citizens following your faith / 4. So, you don't need four followers in the same city, you just need to aggregate followers here and there to enjoy the bonus. If I feel I can keep my religion in most cities, I go for the +1 global happiness for every two cities following your religion. It means you basically can stop worrying about happiness for the rest of the game. Unfortunately, you have to keep the cities converted or you start losing happiness fast. As I said before, I don't want to be too aggressive with religion in this game, so I'm taking the less intense Tithe belief.

Turn 99, bribed Atilla to DoW Ethiopia after he made peace with Portugal. It may be gaming the AI a bit, but I know that the other civ's are very reticent to open a second war if they are engaged in one already, even if it's a war they aren't actively prosecuting. If the oppenent is far away, like in this case, then it's less reliable. I'm expecting Atilla to come at me soon, and I have no illusions that a half-hearted other war will stop him.

A few images from turns 50-100:

Spoiler :

FoY!!! How you like me now, Shoshone dude?"

Spoiler :

Man, I really need to grow up. "Kuala Lumpur wants Bewbs." And I laugh every time.

And to the bitter end:

Spoiler :

Built Oracle at turn 112, which was a nice pickup, used it to finish tradition. Expo is building scouts, because I can't see more than twenty tiles in any direction. :) Enhanced my religion on turn 115 with swords to plowshares (+15% growth when not at war), and itinerant preachers (+30% distance on pressure from cities). I feel that IP spreads your religion much more effectively than religious texts (which increases pressure from 6 to 9 per city in range). It's similar to ranged attacks in combat: your cities can "attack" some of their cities (with religious pressure), while not being "attacked" themselves. Given the number of cities spammed by the AI at this level, if you can manage to secure a corner for your religion, you will consistently spread it, or at least keep it where it is. I reached civil service at turn 116, for those who like benchmarks. Missed Petra by one turn (!) on 129. I knew it was too good to be true... Finished Education on turn 132, queued Wats up in all three cities. Yay Wats.

On turn 152, I finally saw my advantage and DoW'ed Atilla. I had just reached x-bows and he hadn't, so 'nough said. I picked off his UU with ease, since it receives a penalty when attacked by melee. I used pikes for meat shield and stole gunpowder, so got the excellent damage-absorbing muskets out pretty early. I puppeted Atillas first expo on turn 173, and stole the capital on turn 180. I figured that was enough (he only has one expo that he stole from Portugal, which will be eaten by the Romans whenever Augustus notices it), and made peace.

The congress was founded in the meanwhile, on turn 176 by Rome. Rome is currently the leader, but that position is hotly contested by the Shoshone and Songhai (of all people), who is of course hanging out on his little island, collecting wonders and spamming great prophets.

Fortunately, the early runaway, Portugal (my BFF), got whacked early by Rome, who now has to contend with the world's ire. He is fighting the Shoshone, who I may or may not DoW next.

I had expected the game to begin to turn in my favor by now, catching up on techs and seeing population boom. I am, however, still quite the underdog. I have negative gpt (which is amazing given tithe and a decent faith spread). I have no happiness problems, because of FoY, but that's about the only thing I have going for me. My second expo just sucks at production, a fact that I was blind to when I saw all the salt and desert. Losing Petra made that city pretty "meh." Nothing like a great big city that is still working on its granary in the rennaisance. In any event, I look to turtle for a bit to play catch up and see where the global chips are going to fall. I hope to annex Atilla's Court when it comes out of resistance, so that should help some with catching up - after it's done setting me back. :)

After Scientific Theory, I chose to beeline Radio. It may help to be first to the ideologies. I will pick order because that is what the AI will pick. Kidding aside, I love skyscrapers (-30% building purchase cost), and the bonus to producing factories, with +25% science on top, is amazing.

Ho-HO!!! I just got spanked on immortal. ARGH!!! Turn 202, Shoshone and Rome both DoW me! They had made peace the turn before. Yes, the freaking turn before. I was tempted to reload and turn one of them against someone else, but it seemed to violate the spirit of this write-up. In any event, I didn't even see Roman troops - the Shoshone came fast with a carpet of troops who were all one upgrade above mine.

Then the bombers showed up and that was all she wrote. I apologize for no ending screen - I just couldn't play until my last puppet was killed. It made me want to cry too much. Well, credit is due to you high-level players: you all spanked this map like it was no problem and I got stung. I think my lesson from this game is that if you try to focus a little on everything, you focus a lot on nothing.

And some late game images:

Spoiler :

A look at the turn 100 demographics for those who are interested.

Spoiler :

Holy moly! Has anyone ever seen gpt that high?!?! I'm thinking it's no wonder I got stomped right in the face with a rush. Wow, do I wish I was that guy...

Lessons from this game:
Spoiler :

Did rights: Triple worker steal. I usually get nervous and make peace after one.

Did wrongs: Weird scouting meant I didn't notice FoY until late. Scout got eaten, so I haven't met all civ's by turn 100. Many people said

that they met all civs by turn 30 or under! Got stagnant around the rennaisance and lost ground to the AI instead of making it up after the

medival slump.

Any advice, sympathy, or kudos for my selfless posting of a loss for you all to laugh at, please feel free to reply. :)

Thanks to those who host this series!!! Keep 'em coming!

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 382
  • Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 351
  • Civ5Screen0002.png
    Civ5Screen0002.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 413
  • Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 371
Well if you were to ask me...
Did wrong: not wonderwhoring on immortal :p (a great wall would've sufficed)

not leading in tech (probably because you did not abuse cargo food ships)

conquering a civ whose cities are usually underdeveloped and generally worthless, costing happiness and resources to maintain

Being too afraid of DoW from Atilla.

Not wonderwhoring on immortal

Again not wonderwhoring on immortal.

This start looks so strong that I am tempted to just yolo it with full Piety for horsehockyz and giggles.

I'm thinking I should have tried to wonderwhore. Something just tells me that.

Going full piety is just rubbing it in my face, dude.

Thanks for the critique by the way. I never noticed that I'm too nervous about war at this level.

I feel I've hit a wall with my play. I can always grind out a science victory somewhere around 300 on Immortal (haven't tried Deity), but it has gotten pretty boring so now I have tried to get DomV my past few games. But I've never quite been able to pull it off, bankruptcy or my army eventually gets too weak or obsolete.

I've kept track of what I've done for this game(for the most part), and played it out as I have lately with a Domination Victory in mind. If anyone has advice for me that would be great!

Spoiler :
Settled on the hill south of the two salts, on the river.

Here's my Build and Tech order up to about T89:

Spoiler :
Tech Order: Pottery>Animal Husbandry>Archery>Wheel>Writing>Bronze Working.
I got Mining in a ruin. I don't have written what goes in between, but I started researching Construction on T56. Afterwards is Calendar>Philosophy>Mathematics>Engineering.
I chose Wheel to get a water mill going. Then writing to get libraries, and BW to see if I had any iron around.​
Build Order in Sukhothai: Scout>Monument>Scout>Shrine>Granary>Settler x2>Water Mill>Library which I have marked as T54>Archer>Archer. Then I stopped tracking closely, except that I built Temple of Artemis on T81.

Here are the notable events:

Spoiler :
T7: Found the FY and Shoshone.
T16: Opened Tradition
T45: Settled Si Satchanalai 1 tile West of the Sheep on the Mountain to grab Wine, Marble, and FY.
Build Order here: Shrine>Granary>Library>Walls>Caravan​
By T46 I had met everyone but Songhai.
T47: Took a Brussels worker pretty late since I was hoping to find a CS that wasn't cultural or faith.
T52: Settled Maung Saluang on the Salt on the coast over near Jerusalem. Attila wasn't too thrilled about that.
T78: Founded Catholicism, picking up Tithe and Pagodas (had got the Earth Mother pantheon, of course)
T81: Finish Temple of Artemis
T85: Bribed Attila to go to war with Marie because he had an army that looked ready to pounce on Muang, and I only had about 3 comp bows and a spearman.
T92: Finish Tradition
T94: Finish National College
T96: Golden Age, which helps finish Hanging Gardens around T100
T109: Enhance Religion! Picked up Divine Inspiration and Itinerant Preachers
T115: Attila declares war on me. I was just about to invade Moson Kahni around turn 112, when I noticed Attila's army on my eastern border so I wasn't caught with my pants down completely.
T122: Finish Education
T133: Annex Attila's Court. Right after I chose that I should have just puppeted it, but my empire was still happy.
T158: Open Rationalism

Somewhere around T140-T145 I declared war on Pochatello, which right now (at T167) I've wittled away his forces and am marching on Moson Kahni.

Here's a screenshot of T167 for me:
Spoiler :
Just after the bloody battle of Agaidika

What could I have done better? I feel like having capturing one capital, only coming up to two by this point is child's play compared to what I see on here. Do I focus too much on building infrastructure before trying to go to war? My first 100 turns are usually pretty slow as I try to get granaries, walls and libraries up in my expands. Then shortly after I get Construction I start to get the war machine churning by cranking out Comp Bowmen. I also suppose if you have tips for my domination victory going forward now, that would be nice as well!

Attachments

• T167 Siam.fw.jpg
    T167 Siam.fw.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 303
For someone who wants to explore a DomV, you are getting your priorities horribly wrong. :) I hope I can explain to you what you can do better.

My #1 piece of advice for a DomV: Don't build a building unless you HAVE to. Build units instead. Train those units. Prepare for the conquest you want. So I'd cut Shrine and Water Mill from the build order completely. That's nearly 20 turns saved, probably. Thats a minimum of 3 archers built. It could be as much as 5 or 6 with good dirt, which this map had plenty of.

The secret to DomVs on any difficulty level (and this gets more important the harder the game you play) is having troops that can slaughter the AIs troops and seize their capitals. In other words, having the edge. In order to get this edge you need promoted troops and you need to beeline key military techs.

So go Construction before Philosophy, Machinery before Education, Dynamite before anything else in that era.

On T85 you have 3 CBs and a spearman. Go look at my LPs and on T85 I have a LOT more than that. A good number would be 7-8 CBs, 3 Spearmen or promoted Warriors, 2 Horses and a Catapult. I'm not even a very good player, but you can at least see how to do a CB rush without being distracted.

ToA is a great wonder for peaceful games, but meh for DomV. If you want it, conquer the city that built it. By T81 you should have build ALL of the units you are going to use for your pre-artillery conquests. And you won't get much out of the growth because as soon as you have universities, you oughtta be working them.

You put a lot of effort into a religion that completely sidetracked you from conquest. Let the AI give you its religions. Without founding your own, you will still have a huge FPT by T170, which you can use for anything you like.

T100 is way too late for CB to be very effective. I aim to get them by T70 at the latest. In my Persia LP I start assaulting capital #1 around T65 with a decent number of CBs. I take capital #2 by T100ish and have #s 3 and 4 by T140ish. And its not the best you can do by a long shot. I finished the Aztec map by around T150ish. 7 capitals. And I'm not even among the best players here. You just have to be more disciplined and realise that Domination victories centre on armies. On Immortal, your cities don't even matter than much. If you need Artillery, it matters a bit more, but that's seldom the case because promoted XBs and Knights are so strong, and Cannons are awesome on Immortal.

By your own admission you are being caught with your pants down. That's not a good feeling, right?

So channel your dark side and go inflict that immiserating feeling on the AI.

PM me if you want more in-depth tips. I hope you watch and enjoy my LPs. They're a bit sloppy in places, but that only goes to show what you can get away with on Immortal, when you know how.

So wait, the meat of that strat is parking CBs against a CS and take potshots until they level up to Range and Logistics and then it's rompin' stompin' time?

Not at all. The meat of that strategy is getting Construction early and having a bunch of archers to upgrade. Even on Deity a T65 CB rush is pretty effective. On Immortal its devastating to the AI. They still have warriors and spearmen (maybe a few horses) and have their pants down.

If you get the chance to level them then its a bonus, but in my Persia LP they mainly hunted barbs, and the Poland LP they took potshots at Shaka's troops until he got to Civil Service, at which point they withdrew until I hit Machinery.

I think I'll take a stab at writing a Domination guide for noobs.

My 2nd entry. I played the Germany immortal game. Ton of fun once again, thank you. I'll be adding pics once I upload them to steam. I'm currently at work in camp, playing civ in offline mode. Using my phone for posting at the moment, please excuse spelling errors.

Spoiler :
Siam, man of the elephant. One of my favorite civs to play. Of course for the preformentioned elephants. Though they are cursed with short strides due to their cumbersome pant loads of awesomeness. In short, I love these units. They're great.

I entered the world and was immediately glad to be greated by salt and wheat. Every players dream start, or should be. Salts awesome and Op, if you don't think so, then you're wrong. After a few short turns, the holy grail, the mother herself, the stupid OP Fountain of Youth.

/wingamenow

After opening the ever familiar Tradition, I quickly went down the left side of Honor, to get + XP. Promotion tricked out elephants and xbows is comparable to seeing Pamela Anderson's tits in the 90's, before she ed that douche nugget Tommy Lee. And posing for every creepy man with a camera, but having said that. Their awesome. My first few turns also revealed my best friend Atilla and that nasty land grabby native, Pocatello. I decided then and there, that they would have to die. Given the FoY, Salt and not many great positions to expand my own cities. I quickly built a settler, after my monument, worker setup. Pocatello decided that one of his workers looked better in yellow, then his ugly shade of excrament mixed with bile. I went to work on my salt, condeming my workers to years of labour in the salt mines, but that's no matter, they're simply pawns in my game. Well, kinda they actually are. Anywho, Pocatello fell to my volley of freshly upgraded compsite bows, with the gold Maria spent on my salt. Parnter in crime, /highfive. While camping in Moson Kanhi with the battle hardened troops, singing campfire songs and enjoying the now widowed women of the Shoshone people; a welcoming party of Hunnic decent appeared on the borders of Sukhothai. Thinking that this could only be a meeting to discuss this winters dog sledding competition, I sent my convoy of archers to great our friendly tagged partner. Then, also so suddenly it startled me, I was DoWed by my long time friend and neighbour, Atilla.

My composite bows arrive just on time to corner and slaughter most of his army which consisted of rag tag mountain people carrying bows, battering rams and riding horse back. We pushed into his lands and burned a poorly placed city to the ground. Turning north we decimated and puppeted Weldiya, as it was rich in Marble. The Siamese appreciate Marble. They craft it into magnificient statues, monuments and the odd table for preparing vegetables. Atilla begged for his life, but I could not trust this man. As such we extinguished his light, and fell upon Atilla's Court. The battle commander, Ivan the Terrible, of obvious Asian decent. Decided that this land would look great, with plentiful trade posts, to support our great empire. Ivan was right.

While the extermination of Atilla the Hun was under way. Ashy took the Shoshone's last remaining city, just north east of my newly annexed Moson Kanhi. This wouldn't do. Before commiting genocide, I paid Ashy to declare war on Rome. To give me some time and thin out some of their units.

Turn 123

By this time, Ive worked 4/5 in Tradition, and my left side of Honor. I'll look to finish Tradition, because I simply just can't. I scored the Oracle in Sukhothai, and the Petra in 2nd city. Writers guild went up after NC, to help me pus through tradition. Artists guild going up in 2nd city now. These are mostly just for the culture. Science isn't what I would like, as I've rushed to Xbows and Elephants. Also unhappy with my scouting, but my initial scouts were dominated by Pocatello's lethal seek and destroy Pathfinders. No one's hit Renessiance yet, it feels like a slow game for everyone. Im just now upgrading into Xbows, and the Roman's and Assyrian's are flailing their tiny girly wrists at each other in an attempt to settle a dispute over who's taking Ricky to prom. But no matter, I plan to kill them both, and while they fight amongst each other; I'll steal Ricky, and probably have sex with him. I'm so bad. Sun Tzu might have been proud, of my video game battle planning. Well, no not really. He'd probably be confused by video games and the modern world in general. But, ah nevermind.

Turn 165

This is my usual warmonger policy tree, pre renessiance. I'm not sure if it's optimal as I'm not a number cruncher. More trial and error. Like a frustrated baby trying to jam a square block into the circle hole. It works for me, cheap roads, more gold. Obvious + xp for warmongering, level 10 archers are just silly. Sprinkle in a few lucky elephants to wade through the tide of sacrificial Babar's, and you can make beasts; 3 terrain promos, march, double attack, + movement. Tradition because anything else is lacking.

Turn 171

While Ceaser and Ashy argued amongst each other, I picked off their armys and decimated thier cities. I broke apart my army and sent an attachment to the north east, to acquire some ocean front property. Libson looked like a great place for condo's. Lines of condos, hotels, and resorts. Then we'll build a sewer to the ocean, because its only logical? There isn't much to say on their part, they put up little resistance, having decimated themselves in their own war; and Maria didn't seem to build many troops at all, instead building wonders. As I was taking Assur for my own presidential vacation home, I noticed Ethiopa walking through Ashy's lands via open borders. I could only assume they were after this prime location to build their own presidential vacation home. There could only be one.

Turn 175 - 200

Ethiopa discovered the world congress on turn 175 and revealed my final victim, the penninsual bound Songhai. I finished off Ethiopa as quickly as possible and sent my army of doom over the ocean and into his lands via open borders. Found some spaces I could declare war, and took his capital.

Overview

My start was simple, settle the hill for obvious reasons. Get a city out close to my first target to plant a citadel and build some XP, and start my domination. My scouting could have been much better, I'll have to remember to build extra scouts/horsemen/boats to scout better.

There isn't much to say about this game. It was perfect for the rush style warmonger, aside from Songhai's location, ew. I could have finished faster if I'd known about Songhai. I made a bad assumption thinking that someone was dwarfed behind Ethiopa, and I could just walk through to victory. This is my second fastest dom VC on a standard map, so I had a lot of fun.

I'm going through all the games posted here, much later then everyone else. I limit myself to starting location spoilers, to keep the surprise and suspense fun side of it. Thank you very much for this awesome map.

Spoiler :
I missed this beautiful map! What a great start! Early scouting made me think this fractal was a pangea but I was wrong and didn't find Askias kingdom until after I ruled all other civs. When I reashed him my units had become 2 old so I had to send some backup delaying the victory even further.

Fun fast game though! Thanks for this awesome map!

Full honor/full commerse and some goodies from autocracy. Petra in my only expo and GW in the capital!

Nice to see some recent plays on this one, it was one of my faves! I have learned a lot about DomV since, it would be interesting to play it again.

Almost completely peaceful diplo victory, one of my better efforts. Many war bribes to keep AI off my back.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom