Quick tips for newer players?

Btw, I need something confirmed. I had a city that was adjacent to a lone mountain tile, where I built an observatory. When I was trying to build the Neuchwanstein, it's not on the list despite nobody having built it. Does this mean that each building is physically assigned to a single mountain tile?

No, a single mountain can unlock observatory and a couple of Wonders. It must be something else. Have you researched Railroads yet?

I have railroads researched, and I was anticipating to build that wonder, but it didn't show up. Nobody else built it and some of the CSes were also still putting up the wonder quest for it. Oh, and the mountain in question also happens to be Kilimanjaro, perhaps that's why?

Natural Wonders count as mountains for observatories but not for World Wonders, as i remember.

You can sell items like horses and iron for 2 gpt. To get the most out of these deals the way to do this seems to be to sell *one* to the AI for 2 gpt, then immediately repeat the same offer. They seem to be willing to repeat the deal a few times before they get tired of it.

I've been playing for a year (and lurking for half as long) and this never occurred to me. Utterly genius.

Oh, yeah. Hello all.

I have railroads researched, and I was anticipating to build that wonder, but it didn't show up. Nobody else built it and some of the CSes were also still putting up the wonder quest for it. Oh, and the mountain in question also happens to be Kilimanjaro, perhaps that's why?

No, it has to be a mountain not a natural wonder. Even natural wonder mountains aren't considered mountains.

You can sell your open borders for 50 gold which really comes in handy early in the game.

Two or three of those deals can be enough gold to get your two nearest neighbors at war with each other.

I just remembered this, hopefully nobody else has mentioned this before

RADAR: you can hover with civilian units over random hexes that have fog of war (scouted but no vision) with the move button. normally it shows a number which is the number of turns it takes to reach that hex. however, if there is another unit (barb/AI) then you will see a red dot instead. making good use of this is almost essential to playing well regardless of SP or MP.

I think it's even possible to use this for hexes you have never scouted as i know some players use some so called "settler radar" with their starting settler. Maybe it will only turn red for tiles within enemy borders and not simply if a unit is there.
I've never used this much myself and never felt the need to do it in SP up to Deity. Maybe it's more important in MP.

I recommend against selling luxuries. If you are expansionist, you will need them for happiness. Of course, that means trading surpluses. If you are defensive player, you will need them for bribes to get civs to go to war with your enemies (aka neighbors).

Luxs are one of the most important features of the terrain, and they are worth far more than 240 gold/30 turns, or less, IMO.

I recommend against selling luxuries. If you are expansionist, you will need them for happiness. Of course, that means trading surpluses. If you are defensive player, you will need them for bribes to get civs to go to war with your enemies (aka neighbors).

Luxs are one of the most important features of the terrain, and they are worth far more than 240 gold/30 turns, or less, IMO.
......That's a bad advice.

If push comes to shove, you can always bribe with the gpt that comes with selling the luxes, since they're worth 7gpt whether you sold it directly for bribe or the gpt itself. At the mean time, it's always better to convert that extra lux that's sitting doing nothing to gpt. Or if you want, trade them for other luxes.

There's nothing wrong with selling luxuries that are making you too happy. Besides, if Brazil is in the game and your civilization has too much happiness then be prepared to receive the carnival bonus benefit to Brazil since your civilization was in a golden age that was triggered by luxuries that you didn't sell.

Are you saying that you think Brazil receives its Carnival tourism bonus versus another civ when that other civ is in a Golden Age? What ever gave you that impression?

Are you saying that you think Brazil receives its Carnival tourism bonus versus another civ when that other civ is in a Golden Age? What ever gave you that impression?

The Brazil ua does show that you get a bonus 'during their golden ages' and what causes their golden ages? Happiness is one of the things that causes their golden ages.

That isn't what you wrote. You said
if Brazil is in the game and your civilization has too much happiness then be prepared to receive the carnival bonus benefit to Brazil since your civilization was in a golden age that was triggered by luxuries that you didn't sell.

I can only read this as "Brazil" and "your civilization" are different, and that you were saying that Brazil gets its Carnival bonus when "your civilization" is in a golden age -- which is just wrong.

You need two mountains.

Edit: mountain must be 2 tiles from the city.

I didn't know that. Thankfully I try to settle most cities next to mountains so I probably never noticed

Top Bottom