The Deity Challenge Line-up #21 - India

Even if I did, I would never accept. People claim that Shaka is a loyal friend, but I have been traumatized by Dido's betrayal on several occasions, so I never trust anyone anymore. I also never give embassy to certain leaders ever.

Your loss innit :) As you can see from my screenies, that particular DoF worked better than expected, I basically only wanted some breathing room but ended being treated better than any woman I ever knew :lol: :lol: one-upping Nobunaga by a fair bit (despite what everyone says about him being a backstabber, I've seen 0 come from that particular direction). Dude pushed me to host the Congress, a favour I promptly repaid by naming Autocracy as the s***. It caused some to get pissed but I also caused one Revolution, despite both of our tourism being fairly crap.

No worries, Brazil is the map I've submitted, and I'm nowhere near as sadistic as Mr. Acken is :lol:
Actually the Brazil start is quite easy.

Is it a variant of one of the 3 you posted on the IDS thread or you went back to the drawing board and cooked up a treat unrelated to all of that :)

Without giving away too much of my next set of turns, I did everything in my power to get him to DoF me……never happened…..at least not yet.

Well, I finally got the DoF on turn 205, rather late. Gave me a scare once it expired and needed to be renewed, I was like oh crap what if he refuses. He didn't :) and then did it for the 3rd time and maybe 4th, I don't remember now

Spoiler :

Well I hadn't met Austria by this point, so they weren't a consideration. I can't specifically recall Maria T being a Petra-wh*re, but I'll take your word for it.

I was worried about Arabia, given that their desert start looked pretty production strong, but it appears that they went the Theology route instead……not to mention that I bribed one of the warmongers to distract them from any nonsense like wonder-building.

t84 is a bit late for a Petra gambit, but given the slow starting terrain, it was worth the gamble for me. The worst thing that can happen, other than seriously delaying Tradition finish/Rationalism opener, is that someone builds it while your GE is making his way to the desert city. In that case, you still have a GE to help out with another solid Wonder (I would have beelined Printing Press in this game) or even to plant in Delhi to help with the early game production issue. If it were built shortly before Liberty finisher, I'd likely opt for a GS.

She ALWAYS goes for Petra and frequently gets it because for some reason Vienna almost always has adjacent desert tiles, and if not Vienna, then Salzburg does. I have yet to see Harun actually build Petra in any of my games. Never happens.

Am I the only player in this series who doesn't give two hoots about Petra? :D

There's little point trying to build it on Deity. You guys should just accept that :)

Yeah, it can be gotten occasionally. Shark Diver seems to do well with a Liberty GE finisher.

But you know the other way you can get it, 1000x easier, is to capture the city that built it ;)

There's little point trying to build it on Deity. You guys should just accept that :)

Yeah, it can be gotten occasionally. Shark Diver seems to do well with a Liberty GE finisher.

But you know the other way you can get it, 1000x easier, is to capture the city that built it ;)

You posted the Spain map so you know that but DCL6 also proves just how stupidly strong you can make a city with Petra+HG provided there's an Oasis and some desert hills around it

It can be overrated and there's a risk/reward trade-off whether you get it or not to be sure. If you get it in your capital……well, with a desert capital I feel that I HAVE to have it (and hard-building/Tradition is faster than Liberty GE if in capital). If you get it in an expo, which is my favorite ploy, you get the equivalent of 2 capitals (or in the case of this map, a functional city on terrain that resembles El Paso).

Capturing it is great, but you miss out on the mid-game Wonder-building that Petra can give you. It can also be used as a unit-spamming powerhouse (early or late).

You posted the Spain map so you know that but DCL6 also proves just how stupidly strong you can make a city with Petra+HG provided there's an Oasis and some desert hills around it

The best city I ever built was in a Dutch desert start. I didn't get HG, IIRC, but every tile the city had was either Petra-enhanced or had a Polder. My pop hit 50 at the end. It was fun building SS parts in like 4 turns, late Wonders in 5-6, advanced units in 2, etc…..

Spoiler :
finally got there on the third try, I was able to bribe around to delay Shaka 's DOW
By the time I was able to respond with artillery,liberal Ur and go back to peace bribing the Assyrians to attack Austria way up in culture.

Attachments

• Gandy.18.jpg
    Gandy.18.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 157
Spoiler :
finally got there on the third try, I was able to bribe around to delay Shaka 's DOW
By the time I was able to respond with artillery,liberal Ur and go back to peace bribing the Assyrians to attack Austria way up in culture.

hmm? are you sure you have the right SS? I can't imagine CV with just 12 tourism...

I think its a typo. Looks like a SV with Freedom.

Yes major typo :crazyeye:LOL SV Not CV ,Maria was in the +250 tourism just got my Mughal forts.I was way back in culture ,had to grab freedom after maria and cathy ,only manage 2 tenets on it but kept my citizen content.
Now i am reading Acken guide on SV and I can see all my mistakes on the way there ,.The assyrian where very close to finish there own space ship

I can't wait :crazyeye:

Is it a variant of one of the 3 you posted on the IDS thread or you went back to the drawing board and cooked up a treat unrelated to all of that :)

I'm afraid this one is a little harder than the ones I cooked up for FA :lol: No lake Victoria for you, but I'm sure you'll find the dirt rather interesting if you wander.

Those who settle in place will still do well enough easily.

KB, don't forget you're under challenge to try for a DomV with a non-OP civ. Brazil would be perfect, but if you wait for whoever Acken lines up to follow, I will understand.

Fluphen Azine meanwhile has to win a CV with no war, no bribes, and no bulbs. I'll be trying for it too with Brazil, though I've done it a few times now. I have to say that KB27787 is right that it actually makes for a safer game because people love you :)

We instinctively think it will be harder early-renaissance when the AI has an army that can wipe us off the planet, and so we bribe them. But this only makes them more crazed and powerful, I think.

KB, don't forget you're under challenge to try for a DomV with a non-OP civ. Brazil would be perfect, but if you wait for whoever Acken lines up to follow, I will understand.

Fluphen Azine meanwhile has to win a CV with no war, no bribes, and no bulbs. I'll be trying for it too with Brazil, though I've done it a few times now. I have to say that KB27787 is right that it actually makes for a safer game because people love you :)

We instinctively think it will be harder early-renaissance when the AI has an army that can wipe us off the planet, and so we bribe them. But this only makes them more crazed and powerful, I think.

Hey, if I don't get to do it with Mongolia then you shouldn't get to do it with Brazil :lol: :p
And I for one don't see why Brazil would be so perfect for domination, given their jungle bias :lol: Pracinhas have zero combat bonuses.
But I'm sure you don't need the t300 limit for your CV; as I understand sometimes runaways get out of control, and playing peacefully, your only option is to grind at them and hope you get them before the spaceship. You can take up to t350 if you want (CV is kinda different so turn time is not a good benchmark)
(after all your condition for me was sub t220 so I can't use XComs (not unless I can tech like Acken)... but otherwise X-Com rush will be fine for me...)

There are bribes which are "good" too (although I find extensive use of them rather cheesy); if someone denounces you, getting his friend to backstab him or have him backstab a friend is a good way to stop the chain denouncements from coming. It also prevents scenarios where your friend asks you to denounce someone.

Also, did you know, that the "you have made a declaration of friendship with one of their enemies" debuff goes away if the target goes to war with the said civ? Apparently only civs which they have denounced are considered "enemies". In other words, you can gain up to -15 in modifiers just by letting the enemy of your friend DoW your friend and get it over with. (they will likely denounce after the war though, but hopefully you've earned enough time to get that landmark up in their lands and prevent relations from deteriorating. That is because the "we have denounced them" or "they have denounced us" modifier is automatically overwritten with the "you are at war" debuff.

In reverse, you can also get rid of the "you have denounced leaders whom they have declarations of friendship with" debuff by just biting the bullet and DoWing the civ you denounced.

That, and when you see an AI launching an attack against you, a bribe in that time is OK too. Getting those free turns to build peacefully is worth some diplomatic maneuvering later when those AIs denounce each other (at the worst build some more landmarks or give away some freebies
)
Do not bribe to try to stop science/military runaways though; most likely they will win and grow even bigger; you can bribe against wonderwhorers though, to slow down their wonder building (doesn't always work though... I've seen AIs finish a wonder one turn before they get wiped out, just to deny me that wonder)

CV is kinda different so turn time is not a good benchmark
It is. CV is basically a science victory, except you don't need to research the entire tree, but your goal is to reach the Refrigeration/Internet/maybe Radar as soon as humanly possible to increase your tourism before the AI's amass a ton of culture. The earlier your tourism skyrockets the better.

Top Bottom