getting a domination on deity

I've got all the happiness buildings before Stadiums, but I did not go Commerce, I went Military Tradition, followed by Free Thought in Rationalism with Secularism and then Ideology. Is Commerce absolutely necessary to be happy? Should I reload?

By the way, I can definitely war with Chu-Ko-Nus (they are ridiculously powerful!) but how well does a push with XBs work with regular ones? Do I need to build more (like 9?) to be effective? I wanna try with Germany again because I love building a ton of Panzers :D

no problem :) just brainstorming stuff

i hope this isnt an issue with the smart AI mod im using, has anyone else noticed that the AI can shoot and move when they shouldnt be able to? ive noticed before in the past, and recently i got a unit killed because their city shot me 3 times using 2 CBs and the city attack. seemed like the city finsihed building a CB with a CB already in the city, and they both shot me which a player couldnt do.

not the way he did it :D im pretty sure.

sorry consentient i cant watch this peddroelm dude, ive already fallen asleep once... hes telling workers that are chopping forests to keep chopping the forest, every turn every worker. telling generals to do nothing every turn instead of sleep.

i appreciate a nice methodical approach but this is too slow even for me. 3 hours in and he hasnt left his borders yet, being attacked by very weak AI units like hunnic boats :D

Yeah I don't know when it changed but it actually did at some point. I got locked down by Shaka the other day and my Archer finished in the city and both of them were allowed to shoot from inside the city instead of having to be moved out to shoot first. I'm 99.9% sure that used to not be possible.

And if it can't get kicked out (no empty adjacent tiles), the unit will be deleted.

OTOH, if you have an archer in the city and it finishes a melee unit, the melee unit can't attack out of the city unless the archer moves out first which is pretty silly (even if the attack would kill the target and allow your unit to move out of the city in the end)

Rationalism policies are a real waste when pursuing DomV as you absolutely do not need them to reach the techs you need to finish the game.

Commerce finisher ends your happiness problems forever and is the main reason to go Commerce in the first place. Basically, finishing Honor is how you earn ludicrous amounts of gold, finishing Commerce is how you get ridiculously happy, and Autocracy is how you finish the game.

not the way he did it :D im pretty sure.

sorry consentient i cant watch this peddroelm dude, ive already fallen asleep once... hes telling workers that are chopping forests to keep chopping the forest, every turn every worker. telling generals to do nothing every turn instead of sleep.

i appreciate a nice methodical approach but this is too slow even for me. 3 hours in and he hasnt left his borders yet, being attacked by very weak AI units like hunnic boats :D

Try coffee or Red Bull. Even if you don't find him entertaining, his strategy and gameplay is great and should be interesting enough on its own. I learned a ton watching his LPs and am incredibly thankful for them. So he likes to make sure his workers are involved... what's so wrong with that? :lol:

You can also skip forward a few minutes here and there when it seems dry and still keep track of everything that is going on. I wouldn't give up so easy if you are looking to learn.

I just got t.324 Dom Victory on Deity, Pangaea, with China. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. This is my 3rd Dom. win on Deity, and I feel like there's more to come :D

Biggest problem with this game: I did not go Commerce so I was pretty much deep unhappy for the most of the game. Somehow I managed to hold on until the end where I got so many bonuses and wonders that I started to see positive happiness. This meant that my science suffered as well, as my capital could not grow well. Fighting was hectic at times, especially when I was at war with 4 allies at the same time, however I managed to pull through and get it done.

He is clearly a strong player, but I also found the videos to have a very low information density.

Compared with all the other VidLP makers I've come across, he explains every decision, goes into detail about both meta and micro strategy, is entertaining, and offers a radical alternative to Tradition-Tall-Peaceful and Liberty-CB-rush.

I think it's really unfair to characterise it as low in information density.

For example, you can see the benefits of taking 5 mins to consider every move my every unit so as to maximise efficiency.

Peddroelm's videos made me a better player by an order of magnitude. Even when I play Tall-Peaceful and fight defensive wars, I apply stuff I learned from watching him.

Peddroelm's videos are full game videos. He did not cut less interesting parts. That's why they are long. They are also long because he weights his options often and does not rely on automated unit actions (including sleep), but then he's good because of this.
Finishing a mine/plantation during your turn allows you to sell the lux faster, and possibly (in the early game) sell to an AI that would no longer have 7 GPT if you waited for automatic completion.
Checking forest cutting is important if you learn to pre-cut forests for future cities so you can get a monument/granary the turn after you settle. You can do this when you have excess workers, something not unlikely if you go aggressive and steal them, and really, why not steal them if you go to war anyaway (i can understand complains of peaceful players who find it an exploit to steal workers from an AI/CS and make peace immediately, but if i'm at war with an AI for dozens of turns, i take any worker that passes by).
He does not put units to sleep because it's easy to forget them, and if you forget a unit in ennemy territory, it's dead. I've lost countless scouts because i told them to "heal" and then they got surrounded by barbs.

Are those low information density, probably in a twitter world where people want answers that can be written in 2 lines maximum, but not everything can be explained in 2 lines.

Waaaayyyyy too long post

You said it way better than I did, Bob.
#iagreewitheverythingyousaid #warmongersrule

Yeah, I used to be lazy and put units to sleep, but 'do nothing' is actually better to remember they exist and also for another reason: to see enemy units. I usually play civ while doing something else, and I don't always see AI movements. I stopped putting units to sleep, and now I actually block settlers better, see incoming armies, and in general get a sense what the AI is doing because I see AI units' movements near mine.

But I do agree that long videos are not always possible to watch. Sure, they might be good and whatnot, but I simply can't spare 25 hours watching somebody else play (Madjinn's "Into the Renaissance" with Russia). That's not the problem with players as much as the problem with the game.

I am happy to acknowledge that the factors that keep me off YouTube generally might be the same ones keeping me from thriving at Deity. That said, I wish I found more acknowledgement on these board that maybe video are not a good medium for everyone. BBS is very old school. I am old school. Twitter also has a low signal to noise ratio, so I find it quite peculiar to suggest that is what I looking for!

Well, we all know that "one man's meat is another man's poison", but fewer of us know about the false consensus effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect

I see it all over the place on forums. There is probably a PhD study for someone investigating the phenomenon as it appears on the internet.

As for videos, I have to say that my own recent experience is that I've learned far more from watching them than from merely reading about strategies. In fact, I've recently re-watched some of Acken's and peddroelm's, and I realised that while I *thought* I had understood what was happening when I watched them the first time, there was actually a lot going on that had completely passed me by. It has made a big difference to the way I play. So -- in my own case it was worth it, though it did take some effort to analyse what was going on and make sense of it. But this was because of my limitations, not because of the videos. And I'm not suggesting that others should do as I do!

You say that it's not a good medium for you, but acknowledge that it could be the reason you're not a better player. Do you remember beetle how only a few months ago I was asking for advice? The reason I'm not looking for advice any more is watching countless LPs.

If you don't enjoy watching videos, then that's fine, but that really is the best way to learn. There is no way that any write-up could give as much information unless it was a transcript of the complete stream-of-consciousness. If you don't learn well from videos, then what do you use instead?

I'm not sure what is the point of this. He said he doesn't like the videos. That has nothing to do with trying to play at deity or not.
When I was learning I was unable to watch Maddjinn play because he plays too slowly. Watching somebody play a single game for 20hours isn't for everybody. The same way I'm sure some hate the fact that I play a lot faster and skip some explanations.

Top Bottom