Maya: Theology vs. Petra

Yes, in other words: pretty much a normal game. You don't NEED Petra when you settle there, which is why I said beats the purpose of building it. You could've just played normally.

If, however, for example you settle there, expand to original starting location, beeline Theology and use a GE on that expo for Petra, that would be ideal. Petra only looks good because of that original starting location after all.

Yes, in other words: pretty much a normal game. You don't NEED Petra when you settle there, which is why I said beats the purpose of building it. You could've just played normally.

If, however, for example you settle there, expand to original starting location, beeline Theology and use a GE on that expo for Petra, that would be ideal. Petra only looks good because of that original starting location after all.

Well the starting location didn't NEED Petra either (cargo ships cover a multitude of sins); it just looked very weak early game to me such that your growth (and hence theology turn time) would be much slower. Even if I didn't get Petra in my cap I'm not sure I'm going to spend a GE on a satellite city. So in a sense, yes, you could just play normally (although Petra is still pretty good... 4 desert hills and oasis + TR is always good, albeit probably not good enough to GE it but good enough to hard-build it)

(although as far as non-floodplains desert tiles go, the starting location only has 2 more such tiles than where I settled)

However, I have an obsession about getting a capitol with superb tiles, and the starting location has too many empty sea tiles (and overall general empty non-resource tiles) for my liking. The dirt there is fine for a satellite.

What I want to know is did anyone pick up on my save to try and assess if I did any good :)

Tech to Petra as soon as possible.

You have a river system through the hills. That's five 2 food/2 hammer farms and three 4 food flood plains tiles right there once you get civil service. It's a nice capital even without Petra.

Don't hardbuild Petra, just get Great Engineer from Mayan Calendar and pop it to 1 turn.

Check your surroundings. Are the AI settled on Petra Dream areas as well? If they are, you might actually want to give up on Petra and just chase the other Civs first.

Cargo Ships are actually good here, try having at least 2 coastal cities down to send it early food. It's would be a rather food scarce capital at the start, until you tech civil service. But the late game growth would be tremendous, you can always easily catch up.

The thing about Deity AI or any AI is that once you catch up to their tech, you just steamroll them. Their warring and general direction in game is horrible.

This is an amazing spot. Petra plus a cargo ship or two and it's GG. Holy crap your production would be off the hook.

Although I would make sure to settle touching a mountain river coast so that you can get an observatory and water mill. I am not sure where you spawned but it would be worth moving a couple of turns to get that observatory later in the game.

I would definitely beeline petra as the hammers and food are superior to any great person.

This is an amazing spot. Petra plus a cargo ship or two and it's GG. Holy crap your production would be off the hook.

Although I would make sure to settle touching a mountain river coast so that you can get an observatory and water mill. I am not sure where you spawned but it would be worth moving a couple of turns to get that observatory later in the game.

I would definitely beeline petra as the hammers and food are superior to any great person.
Spawned just below the sheep, so the mountain would have taken 3 turns to walk to. Plus I would have lost the river

Top Bottom