Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Alright, just did a full restore to factory settings (Windows 8) recently. I re-installed MGE and tried all of the advice on this thread and the Mastermind Patch (I used the ToTPP for ToT instead, which worked normally). I then tried to run MGE and was told the program, using the .exe file created with Mastermind's Patch, was not compatible with a 64-bit system. Isn't the patch's purchase to rectify working in a 64-bit system? I'm not sure what's going on here. Can someone please help?

anyway to make civ 1 from the Civilizations Chronicles not do that stupid manual picture check thingy?

So, am I to assume that everyone on these forums who knew the answer to my problem no longer posts, or has this been overlooked.

@Kelvrin - I'd suggest trying the Civ1 forums. They still seem to be active.

The purpose of the patch is to make the 32 bits version of Civilization II (MGE) works properly on a 64 bits OS.

It doesn't make a 16 bits version of the game compatible with 64 bits OS, as 64 bits Windows doesn't support 16 bits applications.

If you want to play, you'll have to upgrade to MGE (There's a guide somewhere around here that describe how to do it).

Hi sorry to bring up this thread but i am using windows 10 and trying to use the patcher but all i get is this
Creating file backup
E:\Civ2\civ2.TMMbak
ERROR : File backup failed (E:\Civ2\civ2.TMMbak)
ERROR : Operation aborted

Well, with all due respect to the MastermindX and gratitude for his magnificent patch that allowed me myself to play Civ2 all these years, I have to state here that with the arrival of a new Fall Creators Update (1709) for Windows 10 Mistermind's patch no longer works.
I invite everyone to use my new patch, which, let's say, supersedes it.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-64-bit-editbox-patcher.622154/

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been answered but I searched. Is there a way to fix civ2 music issue? (jerky music, no, loop, sudden stop)
I know there's a workaround like playing the CD with other program like wmp but i prefer a proper cure that makes the in-game music plays when it's supposed to play (wltkd, civ death), and stops when it's supposed to stop (wonder/council movies).

Hey.
That's a cool patch with great features. Thank you very much!
I can't find the 5.4.0f patch anywhere on the internet. I just use it with the 1.3 US version and it does work.
The music seems to loop 97-98% of the time. There are very few instances when it doesn't loop. I can't seem to duplicate the issue though. Anyway, I'm considering that fixed for now.
(BTW the settler/engineer work counter is counting up, not down? =d)

Another unrelated question. Is there a way to have CIV2MGE use the vanilla get_info.exe?

Last edited:
Hey.
That's a cool patch with great features. Thank you very much!
I can't find the 5.4.0f patch anywhere on the internet. I just use it with the 1.3 US version and it does work.
The music seems to loop 97-98% of the time. There are very few instances when it doesn't loop. I can't seem to duplicate the issue though. Anyway, I'm considering that fixed for now.
(BTW the settler/engineer work counter is counting up, not down? =d)

Another unrelated question. Is there a way to have CIV2MGE use the vanilla get_info.exe?
1.3 US is the same as 5.4.0f. You can check version in game menu: Game - Game Options (Ctrl+O). In the title bar.
The settler/engineer work counter is accumulated each turn. The best explanation is in link I provided in description of my launcher
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/90129/
The process of building/transforming is simple if a single unit is doing the work. Each turn, the unit earns points and the accumulated points are stored in the unit’s record. When the point total reaches or exceeds the number required to complete a particular task, the task is finished, the icon for the square it has been working in is changed, the point total is reset to 0 and the unit becomes available for new orders.
But it become little more complex when several workers are used.

I've searched forum for get_info.exe and found nothing about using it with MGE. Also get_info.exe is 16-bit application so there is no chance to run it on 64-bit system. So I think it is impossible.

I've searched forum for get_info.exe and found nothing about using it with MGE. Also get_info.exe is 16-bit application so there is no chance to run it on 64-bit system. So I think it is impossible.

Hey FoxAhead. Again thanks for the answer!

I have a few more questions. Might be a little off-topic though, but it's been on my mind for a long time.

In MGE, there are a few glitches that don't really affect gameplay, for example the throne room back wall graphical glitch. MGE throne room seems to skip a step of it. This doesn't present in vanilla.

Spoiler Vanilla :

Spoiler MGE :

Also there's the issue with city names. If I restart the game without closing the program, it doesn't start from the first name again, but kinda go on from where it left off last time. This doesn't present in vanilla either.

Spoiler Before :

Spoiler After :

How come MGE introduced these new glitches? (And is it easy to fix? =d)

Hey FoxAhead. Again thanks for the answer!

I have a few more questions. Might be a little off-topic though, but it's been on my mind for a long time.

In MGE, there are a few glitches that don't really affect gameplay, for example the throne room back wall graphical glitch. MGE throne room seems to skip a step of it. This doesn't present in vanilla.

Spoiler Vanilla :

Spoiler MGE :

Also there's the issue with city names. If I restart the game without closing the program, it doesn't start from the first name again, but kinda go on from where it left off last time. This doesn't present in vanilla either.

Spoiler Before :

Spoiler After :

How come MGE introduced these new glitches? (And is it easy to fix? =d)

Frankincense, I made a fix for city names bug. You can check new version of UIA:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...additions-civ2uia.623515/page-2#post-14981223

Concerning throne room back wall it is not an error in game code but in resources. These images for throne room are located in PV.DLL file. For some reasons image for the first stage of wall (105.GIF) is the same as for the second (106.GIF). If you are familiar with resource hacking software you could make fix by yourself replacing 105.GIF with one from vanilla version. Otherwise there are already corrected DLLs presented here on site in download section:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/corrected-dlls-for-mge.24259/

Hi everybody

i'm using win 7 ultimate 32bit
The game is CIV II MGE

I was playing a scenario called Wars of Mediterranean and after 75 BC the game always crashes when it's AI turn.

That's the error message:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: civ2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 370cf690
Fault Module Name: civ2.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 370cf690
Exception Code: c00000fd
Exception Offset: 000bdae3
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1040
Additional Information 1: 6d4f
Additional Information 2: 6d4f5cae637ee9c7478ddaa26593b06b
Additional Information 3: 2bdb
Additional Information 4: 2bdba2135c22287bb976010b7bcc663f

Hi everybody

i'm using win 7 ultimate 32bit
The game is CIV II MGE

I was playing a scenario called Wars of Mediterranean and after 75 BC the game always crashes when it's AI turn.

That's the error message:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: civ2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 370cf690
Fault Module Name: civ2.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 370cf690
Exception Code: c00000fd
Exception Offset: 000bdae3
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1040
Additional Information 1: 6d4f
Additional Information 2: 6d4f5cae637ee9c7478ddaa26593b06b
Additional Information 3: 2bdb
Additional Information 4: 2bdba2135c22287bb976010b7bcc663f
Exception Code: c00000fd is Stack Overflow exception. I can assume this can happen because of reaching some limits. Number of cities or units for example.

Exception Code: c00000fd is Stack Overflow exception. I can assume this can happen because of reaching some limits. Number of cities or units for example.

Thanks for your answer. I solved the problem and maybe it was an excessive number of units; i have eliminated many cpu's units and also i have found an error in rules.txt. Now i can again play the scenario.

Top Bottom