Civ 2 Gold - Missing sound effects when playing without CD

deeves

Chieftain
I noticed that when using the no-cd patch from the download page, some sound effects become missing. E.g. movement sound or clicking EXIT on the city screen. Has anyone else encountered this?

Editing one byte in the civ2.exe seems to fix it for me.

@163AA7 change 81 to 80

I have the same problem..

had.. editing that byte worked for me too, thanks

Last edited:
I noticed that when using the no-cd patch from the download page, some sound effects become missing. E.g. movement sound or clicking EXIT on the city screen. Has anyone else encountered this?

Editing one byte in the civ2.exe seems to fix it for me.

@163AA7 change 81 to 80
I am not using the no-cd patch. I have my CD in for the music. I am using Civ2 UI Additions. But i was not getting the sound effects either... until I used your fix, thank you!

What an interesting fix (might be of interest to @FoxAhead ). I remember @Metro Polis had this no sounds at all issue for years as well.

I've been having a different weird sound issue for years where some Civ2 wav sounds will stop playing and then after a few months they'll start working again. Eg I had silence in the diplomacy screen for over a year but now it's fine again. While now days I've got a weird issue where it no longer plays MENUEND.WAV whenever I load a scenario which is annoying as many scenarios have custom menuend sound files that I miss out on and have to insert manually when I'm recording videos, yet strangely when I start a new sandbox game it still plays the menuend sound file just fine while generating the world lol.. so weird! Anyway I tried this trick and while my exe did indeed say 81 in that slot too changing it to 80 sadly it didn't fix my weird sound issues sadly as clearly that's a different problem to you guys.

Last edited:
I've been having a different weird sound issue for years where some Civ2 wav sounds will stop playing and then after a few months they'll start working again. Eg I had silence in the diplomacy screen for over a year but now it's fine again. .......
I started again playing various Civ2, Civ2 TOT, Civ3, and one or two Civ4 games since jan 2023. That's after playing all Civs up until 2006 (board games filled in). Have many retail versions of Civ CDs and DVDs. More than once my sound problems have been resolved by sticking in a different disc. This include various versions of Civ2 and Civ3.

Had a problem with Fantastic Worlds sounds and stuck in every Civ2 disc I had until the Civ2 MPGE disc resolved it. This has worked with Civ3 versions as well.

aside to Blake: Currently on my 2nd COMM3 game standard size 4th difficulty level wow it's great. You Blake alerted me to its coolness... A couple of times my sound here started clicking skipping; turning off the sound and back on or exit reload fixed it. For me.

I started again playing various Civ2, Civ2 TOT, Civ3, and one or two Civ4 games since jan 2023. That's after playing all Civs up until 2006 (board games filled in). Have many retail versions of Civ CDs and DVDs. More than once my sound problems have been resolved by sticking in a different disc. This include various versions of Civ2 and Civ3.

Had a problem with Fantastic Worlds sounds and stuck in every Civ2 disc I had until the Civ2 MPGE disc resolved it. This has worked with Civ3 versions as well.

aside to Blake: Currently on my 2nd COMM3 game standard size 4th difficulty level wow it's great. You Blake alerted me to its coolness... A couple of times my sound here started clicking skipping; turning off the sound and back on or exit reload fixed it. For me.
That's an interesting idea. Although it seems a bit weird to me that putting in a different Civ2 disc would affect how Civ2 plays WAV files from it's install folders as it doesn't use the CD for that stuff. I'll give it a shot with my older Civ2 discs though for the hell of it though heh.

Ahh yes Tom2050's Heroes of Might & Magic 3 mod for Civ3 is truly amazing. The game barely even looks like Civ3 anymore, a true total conversion mod! It was a big inspiration for my & metros Heroes of Might & Magic 2 for Civ2 mod. Glad people are finding CoMM3 through my posts. I look forward to playing my own big game of it and doing a video on it one day too. :)

Top Bottom