US Gov't Sues Arizona Over Immigration Law

To me, arguments about immigration in countries of the new world (USA, Australia, NZ etc) are rather laughable. Pretty much all of our ancestors are immigrants, most of them unwelcome (or illegal) as far as the native inhabitants of those countries were concerned. To now say "oh, now we don't want any more immigrants" is both hypocritical and a betrayal of the ideals these countries are founded on:
Why do you single out the New World and Oceania?
Don't you think the Nations of Europe were founded by Immigrants? Of Africa and Asia?

Well some of our first and most famous white settlers were fleeing a system that didn't allow them to be intolerant enough, so one could argue this is as American as apple pie.
Indeed. Rampant nativism and bigotry has always been an inherent part of American life. What would be unusual is if it suddenly disappeared.

And are, interestingly, conservative and would probably vote republican on a lot of issues...........
I think Latinos are finally catching on that the Republican Party may be more conservative which many of them prefer, but it is also primarily responsible for absurdities such as the current situation in Arizona. The Republicans are literally cutting their own throats by being so unreasonable towards immigration.

It certainly sounds a lot better than the Republican "plan" of basically doing nothing, as usual:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/29/AR2010042904512.html

Spoiler :
Senate Democrats officially unveiled a proposal to reform America's immigration system on Thursday, looking past the fact that no Republican has offered support for the effort and President Obama a day earlier played down the chances of legislation passing this year.

Seeking to woo Republicans, the 26-page framework, which has not yet been written into a formal bill, emphasizes first taking steps to limit illegal immigration before offering new rights for those here illegally. But the REPAIR (Real Enforcement with Practical Answers for Immigration Reform) proposal, as Democrats dubbed it, also would create a pathway to legal status for an estimated 10.8 million people who are already in the country illegally, an idea opposed by many conservatives.

Under the proposal, illegal immigrants currently in the United States would be eligible for legal status in eight years, as long as they learned English, had not committed a crime and paid their taxes. The federal government would increase funding for border security and require all American workers get a new version of their Social Security card that would include a biometric identifier to protect against the creation of counterfeits.

"I say to my Republican colleagues, work with us to fix this broken system, don't just say no," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in a Thursday evening press conference.

In a statement released by the White House, Obama called the proposal "a very important step in the process of fixing out nation's broken immigration system."

But the only Republican who had been negotiating with Democrats on the issue, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), criticized the proposal, saying "it is our belief that Congress should focus on border security first," in a joint statement with Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), the No. 2 Republican in the Senate.

And House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio.) dismissed the proposal as a"cynical ploy to try to engage voters, some segment of voters, to show up in this November's elections." Republicans have suggested Reid is pushing the bill to gain the support of the large segment of Latino voters in his state, where polls showing him flagging in his re-election campaign.

"There is not a chance that immigration is going to move through the Congress," Boehner said. "You cannot do a serious piece of legislation of this size, with this difficulty, in this environment."

Reform Immigration for America, a group helping organize rallies this weekend to promote legislation similar to what the Democrats are proposing, praised the outline and called on both the Obama administration and the Republicans to embrace it.

"This is not a political game, and Republicans can not simply be the party of obstruction. They must offer solutions," the group said in a statement. They added, "The White House must play a stronger and more high profile role."

Senate Democrats say it was vital for Congress to pass new immigration soon in the wake of the passage of a controversial law in Arizona that allows calls on local and state law enforcement to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally, and which makes it a state crime to be in the United States illegally.

"The urgency of immigration reform cannot be overstated," said Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), one of the main authors of the proposal.

Obama told reporters on Wednesday there may "not be an appetite" in Congress to get immigration done this year.

And House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was similarly noncommittal on Thursday, saying "the legislation will have to begin in the Senate. And she passed the baton back to Obama.

"If there is going to be any movement in this regard, it will require presidential leadership," she said.

I would have thought those among the least lost. Food still has to be harvested after all.

Banking, auto industry, and other retail/factory/low level corporate jobs would have been first during a recession like this. But not farming. If anything, during such periods, people buy more produce and eat at home as opposed to going out to eat simply in order to save money.

But hey, I am just a middle class consumer. What do I know. :lol:

Manual Labor jobs suffered heavy losses, especially those which employed mainly young men.

You can always factcheck by looking at the BLS website.

Manual Labor jobs suffered heavy losses, especially those which employed mainly young men.

You can always factcheck by looking at the BLS website.

My comments were specific to the farming industy....not the entire sector of manual labor jobs.

A judge has to follow the law. An officer's motion to dismiss should be reject under the law while my motion for a judgment as a matter of law should arguably prevail. Worst case scenario for me, assumingthe judge is following the law as written is thatit goes to trial. - JollyRoger

Almost all laws are fashioned under the same premise as this one. I can call and say my neighbor is drunk and beating his ole lady, if that's not the case, I have no right to sue him for it. Same goes with your ridiculous situation. If your maid is legal, you're gonna be the one getting sued.

Let's say my American citizen maid calls the cops for me hitting her. Cop shows up, maid is acting very emotional and clamoring away in Polish or very thickly accented English. Cop, initially investigating the domestic abuse asks me my side. I tell him that she just called them because she was angry that I threatened to turn her over to immigration. She has evidence that she could have been hit by me, but it could also be seen as self-inficted. I have a cut on my hand and there is a knife with a Polish flag engraved in the handle, meaning it may also be a reasonable inference that I acted in self defense. If the officer doesn't further investigate her status, I could rightfully sue him under Arizona law. If she can't produce proof of being lawfully in the country, the cop should haul her off to ICE under Arizona law. - JollyRoger

I doubt it, as there is a statute in the law that allows cops to not investigate immigration status if it impedes the investigation of another crime. In this case, the more pressing issue is the domestic violence that must be investigated before any allegations of illegal immigration are looked in to. At any rate, her immigration status will come through in the investigation. So yeah, not impressed.

Pretty much all of our ancestors are immigrants, most of them unwelcome (or illegal) as far as the native inhabitants of those countries were concerned. To now say "oh, now we don't want any more immigrants" is both hypocritical and a betrayal of the ideals these countries are founded on: - Gangor

You're right. We are pretty much all decendents of immigrants. But not illegal ones. You see, back in the day the immigration process was actually respected. Immigrants came through specific ports of entry like Ellis Island. They throw their belongings over their shoulder and run, jump, or swim.

As an aside, it's important to note that immigrants consume as well as earn - consider, would it be better if 1000 mexicans worked in a factory in mexico, or if they worked in a factory in california, spending much of their paychecks buying food, clothing and other necessities of living from local stores? - Gangor

For them? Or for America? For them you're clearly correct. For America you're clearly wrong. America would come out on top if they went back to Mexico and some of the 9.5% unemployed, or the 17% unemployed/discouraged workers/underemployed took those jobs and we stopped subsidizing their welfare/unemployment benefits.

A foreign-looking woman with a heavy accent trying to win a slander suit in front of an Arizona jury? I'd like my chances there. - JR

Have fun paying for your defense lawyer...

Are Republicans capable of doing anything constructive? Never mind that only one republican has been negotiating the issue. She said this:
Article Formaldehyde posted said:
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), criticized the proposal, saying "it is our belief that Congress should focus on border security first,"
Yet she ignores this:
Article said:
Seeking to woo Republicans, the 26-page framework, which has not yet been written into a formal bill, emphasizes first taking steps to limit illegal immigration before offering new rights for those here illegally.
They incorporate some of your platform points into the bill and you dismiss it for not doing what it explicitly says it will do?

Merkinball said:
You see, back in the day the immigration process was actually respected.
Hate to say it, but you slept through your American History class on this day. Immegrants were not liked for the most part during the Gilded Age. Why do you think the Ethnic Ghettos were formed? Ever read the Upton Sinclair book 'The Jungle'? Those immegrants were definitly not respected. Move a bit later and look at the Sacco and Vanzetti case in the 20's. Both were Italian immegrants who were convicted under unfair trials.

I'm sorry, but aren't both parties obviously absurd when it comes to immigration reform?

Not quite. Both parties are unwilling to actually do the work and take the heat for any reform bill. Ant reform bill, no matter what the contents. But the Republicans are the ones that are demonizing immigrants, alluding to racism to inflame issues voters, and demanding policies that harm hispanics for no practical reason.

Hate to say it, but you slept through your American History class on this day. Immegrants were not liked for the most part during the Gilded Age. Why do you think the Ethnic Ghettos were formed? Ever read the Upton Sinclair book 'The Jungle'? Those immegrants were definitly not respected. Move a bit later and look at the Sacco and Vanzetti case in the 20's. Both were Italian immegrants who were convicted under unfair trials. - Ajidica

I wasn't talking about people who were already here. I'm talking about the government, and the people who flooded this country. The government understood and respected the necessity of a legal process to document who was coming here and protect the citizenry from the sick and the criminal. They also weren't out shilling for votes so that 10 million people who couldn't currently vote, would vote for them. And the people who came similarly respected the values instilled in the constitution of the nation they were immigrating to. The were willfully looking to go through the legal process to become an American citizen. They weren't out illegally crossing the border and hoping a politician would just give it to them because they were here before a certain grandfathering date.

And yeah, I read the Jungle. It's political fiction, so I could care less about the immigrants in it...

Millions of people literally walked across the border from Canada and nobody said a word. The same holds true with Mexico. The only immigrants who came through Ellis Island arrived by boat from Europe, and many were denied entry because they became sick on the voyage. Others were also denied entry for various and sundry reasons, including merely being unskilled or having an occupation which the authorities didn't think would pay the bills.

In fact, after the Immigration Act of 1924, the only immigrants who were allowed entry through Ellis Islan were displaced persons or war refugees. After that point, it was primarily used as a detention and deportation faclilty to get rid of all the undesirables, such as "radicals".

Ellis Island isn't exactly a crowning achievement of immigration history, much like the country it represents. Most of it is largely myth.

I did search on google entitled, "millions of illegal immigrants from Canada" and it turned up nothing, so yeah, have it with the linking... Please show me a shred of evidence that illegal immigration over a 20 year period was as prolific from Canada as it has been from Mexico.

Europe, and many were denied entry because they became sick on the voyage. Others were also denied entry for various and sundry reasons, including merely being unskilled or having an occupation which the authorities didn't think would pay the bills. - Formaldahyde

Oh, you mean the reasons that EVERY country has an immigration system? :lol:

In fact, after the Immigration Act of 1924, the only immigrants who were allowed entry through Ellis Islan were displaced persons or war refugees. After that point, it was primarily used as a detention and deportation faclilty to get rid of all the undesirables, such as "radicals". - Formaldahyde

It wasn't needed as much at that point in history. And was closed 20 years after that...

I did search on google entitled, "millions of illegal immigrants from Canada" and it turned up nothing....
Gee, that must mean it never happened. That everybody respected an imaginary border that was hardly ever patrolled for smuggling, much less to turn back anybody who wanted to simply move from one country to the other. :lol:

It wasn't needed as much at that point in history. And was closed 20 years after that...
You mean nativism and bigotry got to the point where the law was changed to essentially prohibit any more immigration from Europe via ship?

Are Republicans capable of doing anything constructive? Never mind that only one republican has been negotiating the issue. She said this:

Yet she ignores this:

They incorporate some of your platform points into the bill and you dismiss it for not doing what it explicitly says it will do?

Hate to say it, but you slept through your American History class on this day. Immegrants were not liked for the most part during the Gilded Age. Why do you think the Ethnic Ghettos were formed? Ever read the Upton Sinclair book 'The Jungle'? Those immegrants were definitly not respected. Move a bit later and look at the Sacco and Vanzetti case in the 20's. Both were Italian immegrants who were convicted under unfair trials.

Well it appears to me Republicans passed a immigration law in Arizona....

To Form- I know man! Over where I live we are having TONS of illegal Canadians coming in! [/sarcasm]

"The illegal immigrant population of the United States in 2008 was estimated by the Center for Immigration Studies to be about 11 million people, down from 12.5 million people in 2007.[2] According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005, 57% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico; 24% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America;[3] 9% were from Asia; 6% were from Europe; and 4% were from the rest of the world."

Skwink: It also appears said law is bigoted and easy to abuse and is resulting in the Federal Government suing the state. The government tries to fix the issue by including some of their party planks and what do they do? They say the bill doesn't seek to decrease illegal imegration, yet the bill says it will seek to decrease the rate of illegal immegration. Idiots.
It also does nothing to address the illegals already living here. In all seriousness, who else would clean our toilets for minumum wage? I'm willing to bet most people on this forum would consider a night job cleaning toilets beneath them.

As for the security of the Canadian border, I technicaly have violated international law by illegaly entering Canada for ~30 minutes while I was in the Minnesota Boundary Waters and stepped foot on Canadian soil. Clearly a very secure border where no-one could possibly consider violating it when there is next to no security up there.

I did search on google entitled, "millions of illegal immigrants from Canada" and it turned up nothing, so yeah, have it with the linking...

This seems like it's just because you did not realize how Google works - no search engine anyone knows of finds matches for such long phrases effectively. That doesn't mean it's not a valid point, it's just a misunderstanding of search engines.

Also, I note you did not seem to understand previous posters presenting part of their arguments in referring to all Americans effectively being immigrants who came to lands already inhabited by Native Americans - way before Ellis Island the US government effectively doing anything plenty of this "immigration" was already going on. This sentiment sums up the idea of a "nation of immigrants" as it applies politically, and certainly one cannot ignore history and pretend all previous "immigration" was tidy and "legal."

Gee, that must mean it never happened. That everybody respected an imaginary border that was hardly ever patrolled for smuggling, much less to turn back anybody who wanted to simply move from one country to the other. - forma

I could say a whole bunch of crap, never verify it, and then insist that even though there's no evidence of it that it still happened or was true. But that wouldn't help me win the debate, and I'd look pretty silly in the process trying to defend myself.

You mean nativism and bigotry got to the point where the law was changed to essentially prohibit any more immigration from Europe via ship? - forma

To a extent yet. I don't see what that matters though. That's the purpose of having a nation. That's the purpose of having borders. That's the purpose of having immigration regulations that are set by the citizens of that nation. If the citizens of a certain place don't want outsiders within their borders, then that is their prerogative...

This seems like it's just because you did not realize how Google works - no search engine anyone knows of finds matches for such long phrases effectively. - Earthling

Yes they do.

That doesn't mean it's not a valid point, it's just a misunderstanding of search engines. - Earthling

Then you or Forma validate the point. You won't validate the point because asinine hyperbole from the outset. Millions of Canadians have never invaded our nation in a two decade time span.

Also, I note you did not seem to understand previous posters presenting part of their arguments in referring to all Americans effectively being immigrants who came to lands already inhabited by Native Americans - way before Ellis Island the US government effectively doing anything plenty of this "immigration" was already going on. This sentiment sums up the idea of a "nation of immigrants" as it applies politically, and certainly one cannot ignore history and pretend all previous "immigration" was tidy and "legal." - Earthling

Immigration WAS tidy and legal from the start of the nation. And before the existence of the nation there was nothing to be illegal about since there was no nation or legal statutes against people moving onto the new continent.

Immigration WAS tidy and legal from the start of the nation. And before the existence of the nation there was nothing to be illegal about since there was no nation or legal statutes against people moving onto the new continent.

Well Spain, through the Treaty of Tordesillas, did have rights to the entire continent. It was indeed illegal for the English, Dutch, French, etc to settle it. In fact Spain had a "border patrol" that searched up and down the North American coastlines looking for illegal immigrants. One of those patrols may have come across a band of illegals squatting at a place called Roanoke. Fortunately though one group of illegals did evade the border patrol and established Jamestown, the ancestors of which eventually created the United States. So in a way the nation does have origins in illegal immigration.

Top Bottom