American WW2 Vet Discovers He's Not Even a U.S. Citizen!

This reminds me of the late comedian Spike Milligan who enlisted as a gunner and fought for Britain in North Africa, and was then told he was not a british citizen because he was born in India and his father was born in what later became the Republic of Ireland.

The Australian government gave him a free passport.

If you're not born in this country and your father was not born here, you're not a citizen, even if you've lived here your entire life. Disgusting.

Just as a clarification, he didn't discover he's not a US citizen, he discovered he has no proof of it.

If you're not born in this country and your father was not born here, you're not a citizen, even if you've lived here your entire life. Disgusting.

The law is gender neutral now, retroactive to 1960 I think. That's how I got my UK passport.

You're an American, living in Canada, with a British passport? Any national confusion at all? :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen

What the bloody hell, really?

That a veteran could even be deprived of SS or his residence in itself is just sickening.

You don't have to be a citizen to join the US military. Some have no intention of being a US citizen. I have two who are of this opinion.

Citizenship should come automatically with extended service.

Honorable service is looked on very favorably by immigration officials, I have helped several of my sailors get their citizenship over the years.

These people put their lives on the line for our great nation and yet we spit on them like this?

This was obviously a comedy of errors primarily the fault of his parents. If they had just done the obvious he would be a citizen now. I think the chance of this guy not getting rubber stamped based on this is slim to none, don't get your panties bunched ;)

Any of your thoughts?

I'm just... wow.

I do not think automatic citizenship based on service is a good idea, as I don't think it would send the right message to foriegn recruits. As it is now service is makes you a shoe in, but automatic citizenship takes something away from the process in my opinion.

Yes I realise that countries like the US do have non-citizens in their military and they utilise this as a means to gaining citizenship. What is is problematic though for these militaries is then having these non-citizens accessing some of the higher security clearance type roles.... which is why many of the smaller first world militaries avoid this like the plague.

Foriegn citizens in the US military can not get security clearances and thus do not qualify for MOSs/Rates that require them.

I was making a reference to Rome granting citizenship to its legionaires after 20years service no matter where they came from. I truely wish governments around the world would reward their 20 year military vets better than they do at present....

Better than a 50% pension that pays out immediately? I think my after service compensation will beat your average legionarre by a long shot, it could probably be parred down a bit actually.

You're an American, living in Canada, with a British passport? Any national confusion at all? :)

My mom's from Birmingham. Well, just outside. Don't hold it against her, she left before she could speak. My granny was born in Kenya, so you could even say I'm a quarter African American ;)

Yes I realise that countries like the US do have non-citizens in their military and they utilise this as a means to gaining citizenship. What is is problematic though for these militaries is then having these non-citizens accessing some of the higher security clearance type roles.... which is why many of the smaller first world militaries avoid this like the plague. Even the US military is highly sensitive to foreign eyes being privy to their secrets so I am truely amazed that they still allow foreigners to join up... of course it can't be easy maintaining a million men under arms so you gotta get your people somewhere I guess.

I was making a reference to Rome granting citizenship to its legionaires after 20years service no matter where they came from. I truely wish governments around the world would reward their 20 year military vets better than they do at present....

...and no military service does not make you any more worthy than another citizen of your country... but there is certainly an element of pride and old fashioned warriors nobility that goes with sacrificing so much for so long for a patriotic ideal.

There was a lesser known provision in The Dream Act to giver veterans legal residency if they are not citizens. But it was shot down recently.

This probably isn't as uncommon as you might think. My mum was born as a British citizen* and thought she was a New Zealand citizen until she went to apply for a passport at 25.

* She was born in a British military hospital outside of the main base. Under the rules of the time if she had been born in the base she would have become a citizen of the country of her parents - New Zealand. But as she was born outside of the base on British soil she became a British citizen upon birth instead. Strangely, when she went to apply for the passport they couldn't decide whether she was British or Singaporean. So as I understand it the immigration guy let it slide...

After their service in the Imperial legions, Roman legionaries (legionnaires are French) received a large sum of money, often used to buy tracts of land on which to farm. Based on the rich agricultural returns of the time, that could be a very generous pension indeed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen

What the bloody hell, really?

That a veteran could even be deprived of SS or his residence in itself is just sickening. Citizenship should come automatically with extended service. These people put their lives on the line for our great nation and yet we spit on them like this?

Any of your thoughts?

I'm just... wow.

Citizenship should never be 'automatic' regardless of the situation. I agree it should be expedited by virtue of that service however (timelines shortened, fees waived etc.).....but there still should be a process thats ongoing.

And dont go overboard on the hype. He isnt being 'spit on', in fact, people are trying to care for him and help him out. Ease up.

This may sound snarky, but in the Land of the Free, why do you need compulsory identity papers? In Britain, there was uproar when ID cards were proposed and they were eventually shelved due to such hostile reaction against them.

This probably isn't as uncommon as you might think. My mum was born as a British citizen* and thought she was a New Zealand citizen until she went to apply for a passport at 25.
My grandfather had a similar issue. He didn't find out he wasn't a citizen until he enlisted during WWII. He was born in Scotland, and his father parents with him illegally when he was a baby, so no Citizenship.

This may sound snarky, but in the Land of the Free, why do you need compulsory identity papers? In Britain, there was uproar when ID cards were proposed and they were eventually shelved due to such hostile reaction against them.

If you're a citizen, you have no requirement to carry ID. If you're a permanent resident (green card) you are required to keep that card on you at all times.

Citizenship should never be 'automatic' regardless of the situation.

Does this mean that you've finally come around to my side of opposing the concept of Natural Birth Citizenship? ;)

Oif/oef vet here. Not a citizen.

Nothing exceptional about the story except he didn't realize forthat long. Since he didn't ask for it he didn't get it.

For some people, rules are rules, and the plan is good here. Deport him? If I agree with the rest of this post, then I would say yes.:)
:goodjob: Rules are rules are rules. Can't get around them.

Anyway, like MobBoss said, people are trying to help him out. This is a non issue.

Good point. If he had been a Latino instead of a white Canadian, the story would be about an illegal alien who evaded the law for nearly 95 years, sired generations of anchor babies, unlawfully collected Social Security, and even illegally served in the US military while risking national security.

Good point. If he had been a Latino instead of a white Canadian, the story would be about an illegal alien who evaded the law for nearly 95 years, sired generations of anchor babies, unlawfully collected Social Security, and even illegally served in the US military while risking national security.

I dont think thats true for a minute.

Top Bottom