Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic

IIRC, hat has to do with "spots where forests have been chopped", so later on if he goes to replant and rechop forests, he won't do it in whatever numbers those correspond to (which are probably number keypad from the city), since you can only get the benefit of a forest chop from a square once.

Yes, DWetzel is correct. I need to change that now, as I have new convention which I haven't yet implemented.
r t y

q 7 8 9 p

a 4 x 6 l

z 1 2 3 m

c v b

So, 87 I correspondingly will rewrite as "r".

Edit: the numbers aren't correct here. They actually correspond to the keypad. The letters, however, are correct.

Is that game SID or DEITY, Spoonwood?

And about your technique:

After cutting the road you will get the lux furthermore, but you won't pay gpt anymore, is that right?

The first game was level 7, the new game is level 8. After cutting the road you will NOT get the lux anymore. However, if you trade for hard goods, such as lump sums or techs, you will keep those after cutting the road. Also, you can start the AIs warring against each other via military alliances, while you can duck out of those wars, since the military alliances get canceled via the cutting of the trade route. As long as you don't have any trade routes to your capital, it should work. So, if you have no harbors elsewhere, and no land routes to your "friend", selling a harbor in your capital should work. Though, does that really work out as the better way to go?

By 250 BC with some 8000+ already in the bank, at 70% luxuries, 30% taxes I've managed +1000 gpt in this one. Not sure if I like the map though, as it seems I might have two continents instead of a large pangea.

I tried that in a SID game I am currently playing. I cut all trading ways from the capital, habor and roads. I did not any longer receive luxs immediately, but still paid the gpt.

What could be the problem? Any idea?

This is a really powerful strategy. I find it strange that it is allowed in for the HoF. It just feels like cheating. But if it is allowed, it would be stupid, not to use it, if you want to be competitive. At least on Deity and SID levels.

It just feels like cheating.
On a purely personal note I agree, which is why I don't use techniques like this as a habit. I don't disconnect/reconnect resources, I don't like to do mass abuse of RoPs and many other tactics that don't feel right to me.

However I do other things (break treaties inside 20 turns, use ICS, wind up enemies with repeated outrageous demands and then ask them to leave my lands or declare war) that others think is not in the spirit of the game. It's all down to personal preferences.

My understanding is that the HOF was set up with as few rules as possible and I'm happy with that. I don't think that you've broken any of the rules as far as I can see from this so with that in mind, your exploit is fine.

It works well on some levels. But, it certainly won't work well for many games where you can outresearch the AI. I've never used it on Deity, and for my recent 20k Sid games I didn't use it either, though once or twice I did have the AIs land on my shores, I sent them gpt for techs, and I told them "leave or declare" enabling me to get techs for free.

This is a really powerful strategy. I find it strange that it is allowed in for the HoF. It just feels like cheating. But if it is allowed, it would be stupid, not to use it, if you want to be competitive. At least on Deity and SID levels.
It pretty much makes Sid easy. It is difficult to ban it though since it has been around for 8 years or so!

It pretty much makes Sid easy. It is difficult to ban it though since it has been around for 8 years or so!

I am currently playing a large SID conquest. And it is no problem (even as a monarchy) to keep up techwise. You just have to handle the masses of troops the opponents have. But as it is no problem to let the AI do what you want, and as the AI is rather predictable in its action, that is easy to manage.

But this is Spoonwoods thread. Back to topic, I'd say. Unless Spoonwood does not mind.

I don't remember if this rule was one I allowed when I was in charge, or if it was before my time. But I can tell you there were rules that absolutely sickened me personally, but instituting them would have meant wiping hundreds or even thousands of games out of the tables.

That felt worse.

Top Bottom