Difference between roads and routes

binks

Chieftain
I'm new to the game so sorry if this was covered already, but I can't find the answer for this one anywhere.
What is the difference between option to "construct a road" and "route to mode"? When you constructing a road you pay for it and when you selecting a route it's free? How does it work?

Construct a road just builds one on that individual hex. "route to" will build a string of roads to the destination tile. I would not recommend using this for stretches longer than 2 hexes, though. They can sometimes take unpredictable and illogical paths.

I would manually place all road tiles. Because you can sometimes arrange the road network to share one or more tiles; and thus save maintenance.
And also there is a difficult to spell north american tribe that uses forest as roads for this purpose and also the Incas in which road tiles on hills are free.

Route to creates a string of tiles, as mentioned above, but then again, you're putting the AI to work, and this results in some slightly odd paths, such as making the road cross river tiles more than it needs to be, increasing the time it takes to build them. However, once you have railroads, if you use a worker in a city to route to another city which was a road, it will automatically start Turing all your roads on that route into railroads, which is a very handy feature :p

Top Bottom