Building Petra

KingKong76

Warlord
EDIT: IM TALKING BNW...

Just a question for you folks.

Im not use to build Petra... maybe once or twice at Emperor level, but lately I tried twice, and got outruseh short of 2 and 3 tunrs on turn 89 and 91...

then I started to pay attention even if I wasnt building it to get a read on the tendencies, and it always poped up beyond turn 115... even 144 once!!!!

Was I just been VERY unlucky, or the usual is early 90?

Or it simply depends of other civs in the game and the nature of the land available for them?

78 thats it?? Wow I think the fastest I seen it go off on Deity was something like turn 54. I have seen it go very late as well over 110. I have found that it is not as impossible of a Wonder to get as I used to think. Of course before the patch it was more powerful but It still is worth trying for on certain maps and conditions. Usually I would rather capture it compared to trying to gamble on building it but as players have shown like Acken, Shark Diver and others that it isn't as hard to get on Deity as you might think. I used to think the odds were 50/50 but I am starting to think it is more like 35/65 (65% success rate). I can't back any of these odds up it is just an educated guess after playing thousands of hours of this game and also reading and watching other players games. I find that the problem with it is your game might be stronger without it depending on what your trying to do or what VC your aiming for.

Take a look at the DCL game #6 where Acken shows how to get it with Byzantium. He made a Video of it as well if it is still up to view. I checked and it is still up, it is listed on youtube under his name RezoAcken.

On anything lower than Deity it is almost certain that you get it and if you miss... it was just one of those odd games.

I'm guessing they know you are building it. Since if you know the graphics, you can tell what they are building, they must give the AI the same power. It's also the only way I can see them constantly finishing when I have one turn left, even if I use GEs.

I'm guessing they know you are building it. Since if you know the graphics, you can tell what they are building, they must give the AI the same power. It's also the only way I can see them constantly finishing when I have one turn left, even if I use GEs.

They do not know what you are building (this is not Civ 4 where you have access to an enemy city's statistics).

They can "see" 1 tile into FoW in some situations (which is intended to mirror a human's ability to see the edge of the hex in the first hidden tile), but that's limited to just the type of terrain.

They can "guess" some metrics (i.e. expansion flavors of other leaders) to a certain extent, but that's about it.

Your post mentions Emperor level. In my games it tends to go between 105-115, though I've seen it go much later.

Thanks...
I guess statisticaly I should have build one of those 2 tries... wich is such a small saple it dosent even deserves to be metioned.

So lets say that AI range at emperor is 90 to 115... shouldnt be hard to rush it for turn 85 next time I need it...

hopfully I will be at Immortal at that time and all that data will be obsolete!! haha

Someone reported recently an experiment that showed that AI will often postpone a wonder (for unknown reasons) when they are almost done with it, as long as no-one else are building it, and then will finish it when you have 1 turn left. So what you experienced *can* have been cheating.

When that's said, Petra can be very hard to predict because of the desert requirement. This means that if a civ has a capital on desert, Petra will usually go very early, but on the odd case where no civ starts on (or next to) a desert tile, Petra can go much later, because AI will have to build it in secondary city. So ... you might also just have been unlucky.

I play Emperor myself, and I usually don't hard-build Petra, although it can be done. It seems more miss than hit, however, so generally I will use an Engineer on Petra if I have a city that really benefits from it. In my current game I actually think I hard-build it in my second city, though, so again ... depends on luck also.

You can fairly easily get it by 75ish on Immortal, I once got it on 85 on Deity but have also seen it built in 60ish, there is some luck involved I guess, if nobody hit any deserts, no Petra for either of them :)

Top Bottom