Pigs

But pork isn't a luxury...
That would depend on where you live. Try getting pork in Saudi Arabia. You will need the right connections.

I do wish pigs were a resource in the game. I miss the diversity of food resources which earlier games had. The same is true for maize and rice.

However, I wouldn't want to lose a luxury resource (truffles) in order to accommodate the pigs.

If anything, pigs would be a bonus resources. But yes, the thing with Truffles is that they aren't like, a plant that grows above ground that you harvest like that. They're a fungus that only grows underground in very specific conditions. And the only way to reasonably harvest them is by using a variant of pig that has the capacity to sniff them out and dig for them. Henceforth, the luxury of Truffles is represented by those pigs on the map. Your happiness isn't coming from the pigs themselves, but rather what they're used to dig up.

my wikipedia skills say that yes, dogs are also used, but that is more recent development. They also need to be trained, whereas the pigs will seek out truffles naturally.

I do wonder why Truffles are represented by pigs on the world map, however.

And truffles are mushrooms, so good luck to represent them on a tile. Not to mention that black truffle is visually similar to coal.

Pigs were a resource in civ4 and it had both those religions

They're more conscientious now in designing Civ5. They don't have Stalin and Mao as leaders (not that I would want them anyway:mad:). They asked the Pueblo council for permission on using Puebloans as a civ and did not put them in the game because they refused.

Well, Judaism and Islam forbid the consumption of pork ,that's why its not in the game.
That makes sense. I played many Civ IV games in which a country dominated by Judaism or Islam had pigs in pastures, and I wondered if it should be so.

If I remember correctly, the devs were hesitant about introducing religion in Civ IV, which is why all religions had the same traits and abilities. Even back then, the devs were trying not to offend religious sensibilities. So simply removing pigs altogether might have been a way of avoiding more complicated solutions.

<grumbling> But that still doesn't explain the absence of rice or maize</grumbling>

They're more conscientious now in designing Civ5. They don't have Stalin and Mao as leaders (not that I would want them anyway:mad:). They asked the Pueblo council for permission on using Puebloans as a civ and did not put them in the game because they refused.

Nope, they are sticking with one leader per civ, and a leader who was in charge when the UU or UB was relevant. "observant jews don't eat them" is a stupid reason to not have pigs as a food resource. It's because there is no healthiness measure for each city, so it doesn't make sense to have a variety of food resources like in civ4. So why are there "unclean" clams and crabs, hmmm?

&#1057;&#1083;&#1072;&#1074;&#1072; &#1057;&#1090;&#1072;&#1083;&#1080;&#1085;&#1072;!

Nope, they are sticking with one leader per civ, and a leader who was in charge when the UU or UB was relevant. "observant jews don't eat them" is a stupid reason to not have pigs as a food resource. It's because there is no healthiness measure for each city, so it doesn't make sense to have a variety of food resources like in civ4. So why are there "unclean" clams and crabs, hmmm?

&#1057;&#1083;&#1072;&#1074;&#1072; &#1057;&#1090;&#1072;&#1083;&#1080;&#1085;&#1072;!

Not sure if that's the reason Mao and Stalin aren't in. Not all leaders have era specific UU or UB. Like Haile Selassie and Stele. Gustavus and Carolean. Harald and Ski Infantry.

I think it is. As you say, not all of them are contemporary with the leader. But I think their strategy was something like "early unique stuff is better than late unique stuff, try to get a leader who was in charge when the unique elements of the civ were relevant". I'm sure they considered Stalin as a leader for Russia. If you look at the civs, almost all have a pre-industrial leader and a UU, UB, or UA that some in by the medieval era, and most of those are concurrent with the leader. Sure, Germany has the panzer, but just like in civ4, most of the time you never get a chance to use it because the game is probably decided by then.

As for Denmark and the ski infantry, at the time Denmark was added, naval warfare was something that only mattered in multiplayer water maps, and the long ship was already in civ4. So they tried something new, but mostly they have stuck with the above when designing a civ.

Well, Judaism and Islam forbid the consumption of pork ,that's why its not in the game.

Why does that matter? In the game you are not forced to eat pork.

Top Bottom