Best Navy civilizations

Which these Navy-oriented civilization is the best?

• Total voters
SoTL has to get close to fire enemy and and you can easily catch him.

Good luck "catching" someone with stronger, faster/more manoeuvrable units. As others have stated, 20 Gold Per Turn in the Renaissance is a drop in the bucket.

Even the Dutch are arguably better than the Ottomans, as Sea Beggars far better at taking Coastal Cities, and can spawn with Logistics with Barracks/Armoury, and they can heal on-the-go as an added bonus.

Oh God!

You really think you're gonna pay just 20 extra? It was just an example. Your maintenance cost can be over hundreds in late game while you comparing Ottomans.

Plus the Ships you're gonna catch with the Ottomans are going to have to be pretty advanvced to combat SotLs. Seriously I don't see how you can combat them.

Once they get them out, you better have a huge fleet at your disposal to combat them. Their ability is going to be nice to try to get some unique naval units or other Frigates. Galleass is useless with practically double the Strength and ranged strengththe SotL has.

As England on water maps you always go SotLs. It would be stupid not to. And realistically the only way you're going to counter them is with other Frigates and a massive army. That's why England tends to stay small in an island game, rack its science up and rush to it. I usually Oxford Navigation and upgrade my Galeass to SotLs. So you have these out at a very fast time.

If you can catch SOLs On equal terms your going to die as their combat strength is so much greater. In that same time period privateers from all civs can capture too so the Ottoman UA is largely a wash in that time period. In order for Ottomans to win the engagements they'll need so many more ships. How do you get to that point without neglecting tech/infrastructure?

Russia can field twice as many frigates, Austria can rush buy several naval units for a meager sum, Babylon/Korea can get to frigates 12 turns faster than other Civs.

Austria doesn't have any bonuses that would allow them to rush buy frigates better than any other Civ, except maybe the extra gold from City States they have married?

Austria doesn't have any bonuses that would allow them to rush buy frigates better than any other Civ, except maybe the extra gold from City States they have married?

buy a cs with all its frigates and stuff

Ottomans, seriously?! A lot of fairly average to garbage captured units does not equal a navy: they just act as target practice.

No it has to be England, no other Civ is close in the era that SOTL dominate; as to the comment about maintenance, that's what puppets are for...

I'm surprised the Dutch haven't got more votes though; the Sea Beggar is a powerful unit that has an 'irritating' habit of not quite sinking (I've had a good few hairy encounters with them).

I agree. On water, experienced units dominate even more than on land. Three sotls will cut right through an entire fleet of lesser ships. You just can't carpet-of-doom on the water.

England, because SotL will just massacre everything else (even an Ottoman Zerg Swarm) once you get several up. Their UA does not only mean you are able to outrun anything: the most important (and perhaps not immediately obvious) aspect is the ease in reinforcing new units to the front line, ferrying wounded units to a city to heal, and quickly switching targets from one quadrant of the map to another (i.e. the "logistics" of your navy and its operations).

Being able to efficiently explore the world at triremes is also pretty nice. Doubly so with a Great Lighthouse.

OK I FEEL STUPID NOW...
but you can embark millitary units on ships? well at least SotL?

OK I FEEL STUPID NOW...
but you can embark millitary units on ships? well at least SotL?

You can embark military units (and civilian units too) once you research Optics - directly onto the water.

The important thing to take away is that Sun Never Sets also applies to land units when they are embarked.

You can embark military units (and civilian units too) once you research Optics - directly onto the water.

The important thing to take away is that Sun Never Sets also applies to land units when they are embarked.

ok fiew
i knew that... i just totaly missunderstood the quoted statement

England by a mile... We really need a vote to know that ship of the line is massively op? Not to mention long bows being ridiculous.

Voted Portugal, not because of the navy, but because they're the most fun "maritime" civ to play as. I kinda...misread the question :p

Yeah, when it comes to navy, England is the undisputed best. Ottomans are a respectable second, and the Dutch come in third, if one knows how to properly use the Sea Beggars.

Top Bottom