Civ 5 tutorial for Civ 4 players?

NoxNoctum

Chieftain
There's a lot of tutorials around but does anyone know of a good one for Civ4BTS players? (for Civ 5 complete edition)

I would just play the Civ V tutorial, and then play at the lowest level for a game. You need to treat it like it is a completely different game than Civ IV.

Starting at the lowest difficulty is a terrible idea. You'll never learn anything without a bit of adversity to highlight your mistakes. Playing against weak opponents is a great way to develop lazy habits and foster delusion.

Starting at the lowest difficulty is a terrible idea. You'll never learn anything without a bit of adversity to highlight your mistakes. Playing against weak opponents is a great way to develop lazy habits and foster delusion.
I said play it for one game. You're not trying to develop lazy habits or foster delusion, you're trying to learn the rules of the game. :sad:

Well the AI isn't terribly aggressive anymore, the odds of him actually losing too early to learn anything at so low a difficulty are infinitesimally low. I think the worst that could happen by picking a higher difficulty is he ends up turteling being boxed in and is forced to look for solutions to get an edge. Which I think is a good way to learn isn't it? Necessity is the mother of invention, same goes for learning.

Also I've heard a lot of people say the lower difficulties are exceedingly boring. It wouldn't help anyone to turn him off from the game as soon as he picks it up.

Well the AI isn't terribly aggressive anymore, the odds of him actually losing too early to learn anything at so low a difficulty are infinitesimally low. I think the worst that could happen by picking a higher difficulty is he ends up turteling being boxed in and is forced to look for solutions to get an edge. Which I think is a good way to learn isn't it? Necessity is the mother of invention, same goes for learning.

Also I've heard a lot of people say the lower difficulties are exceedingly boring. It wouldn't help anyone to turn him off from the game as soon as he picks it up.
OK...I'll say it three times...one game at the lowest difficulty.

If it's too easy or too boring, it isn't that hard to quit and start over at a higher level.

That would be the logical step whatever the case, I'm making my observations with concern for his time. A game of Civilization is a pretty big commitment. "Just one game" could easily be 10 hours long. This is not exactly a disposable time frame so far as many people are concerned, and quitting half-way through is absolutely the worst way to learn any skill.
I think the lowest difficulties are aimed at very young children with no transferable experience. Considering he's been a member here since 2007 I would guess he's more competent than that.

Considering he's been a member here since 2007 I would guess he's more competent than that.
I made my answer based on the OP's original question, asking for tutorials to make the transition from Civ4BTS. Myself, I wouldn't have needed to even ask that question here, but obviously he did.

Top Bottom