Difficulty level question

anom217

Chieftain
I played my first civ 5 game (BNW) on King difficulty with 8 players. I won through military victory, but was also far and away the leader in science, culture, religion, diplomacy. I basically ran away with the game when I hit the industrial age and there was never a question of me losing.

So what I want to know is, what difficulty should I play for my next game? And how much does the difficulty ramp up with each level?

Does Emperor feel like a big step up in difficulty? Or will it be pretty much the same except the AI has a few more starting bonuses. In that case, maybe I should just skip to Immortal.

I've looked at this chart (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/difficulties), but wanted people's input.

The first six "difficulty" levels are a very slow ramp up. Emperor to Immortal is a much larger jump, Immortal to Deity is a crazy jump. As someone put it, there are really only four difficulties in Civ V:

1-5: lol
6: Can mess around but need to try
7: Need to know how to play
8: Let's get serious

Emperor is King with less wonders...
that said Ìmmortal is quiet a jump!
For me at least...

Emperor is easier than King because the AIs have more money. The only other difference is that its slightly harder to get wonders.

On Immortal and Deity, do wonders get built more evenly among civs? In my 8 player game, all the wonders were built between me and 2 other civs.

Definately still possible to do a bit of wondering...
That said if you REALLY need a wonder you will probably have to tech accodingly... cause the you getting a very early tech superiority like its always the case on King is a less likely...
you will have to make choisces between to tree and botom tree wonders.

The first six "difficulty" levels are a very slow ramp up. Emperor to Immortal is a much larger jump, Immortal to Deity is a crazy jump. As someone put it, there are really only four difficulties in Civ V:

1-5: lol
6: Can mess around but need to try
7: Need to know how to play
8: Let's get serious

I must suck more than I thought I did, since I play on Prince (or maybe King? I forget)

Granted, my last game was on YnAEMP's largest map, which never seems to have any good production areas or anything. Might actually need to up the difficulty on a regular game.

Could do a MP game if you want sometime, friendly competition, FFA with 6 AIs or whatever. I usually play on Deity unless I'm messing around but I'm not even close to being the best Deity player.

I have generally played on Warlord level since Civ 3. Prince provides a challenge, but sometimes I want to just relax and enjoy the game. All of my wargames in the Army were for real and for keeps.

Civ has virtually unlimited replayability. I change one parameter and observe how that changes the game.

Top Bottom