Culture flipping bug I just encountered

goofyballer

Chieftain
At least, I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Anyway, I'm playing the Chinese. I'm fighting a war against the Americans to my west, and am trying to take New York, which is located on an isthmus between the Americans and the English. The Russians are way off to my north and have no cities in the area.

I have two tank armies in the area which finally take New York; I move south to try to capture Atlanta, during which time the English swoop in and take New York. New York then changes hands every turn for the next 3-4 turns as I basically leave it undefended figuring I can take it back w/ overrun the next turn while I still put pressure on Atlanta. One important thing to note is that every time I capture it I get the American culture flipping flag popping up in the city.

Eventually I re-capture New York for the 4th time or so and my stealth tank army ends the turn inside the city. Right after I end my turn, New York culture flips (the same turn I captured it!!! WITH MY TANK ARMY WITH A GREAT GENERAL ATTACHED INSIDE!!!!!)....to the RUSSIANS.

They seriously have no cities within thousands of miles of New York - NY has the ocean on two sides, the English on one, and the Americans on the other.

So yeah, two things that happened that I'm pretty sure shouldn't:
1. City culture flipping on same turn I captured it
2. Flipping to civ that was on the other side of the map

Could the Russians have used a Great Thinker/Artist to insta-flip the city?

I'm pretty certain that the way turns work in Single Player, the AI makes all of their moves first, then you make all of your moves before ending the turn. So, if your tank/general army ended their turn in the city, then the Russians used a GP to flip it prior to you being able to make your moves, that would explain what happened. Remember, using an Artist/Thinker to flip a city doesn't require you to be anywhere near the city, only that it has been uncovered from the fog of war.

Interesting, I guess it is possible. That hadn't occurred to me because I've NEVER seen the AI use a great person to culture flip before.

That would be my guess. I hope that's the case because I want the AI to be more dynamic / Civ IV-like in their realism (and sometimes utter brutality and manipulation)

Interesting, I guess it is possible. That hadn't occurred to me because I've NEVER seen the AI use a great person to culture flip before.

I have had the AI use a great person to culture flip a city in at least two or three matches I've played.

Top Bottom