How to Add/Use These New Units

Okay--

I have PTW and I renamed one of the civ-specific units as Panther Tank and changed the icon--and now I can't load that scenario. Each time I try I get a message that says: File Not Found "#". What the heck does that mean? Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I think Firaxis sucks! In PtW adding new units and in Civ3 after some patch they made hard times for people who want to create something new, touch the game with new life and experience.

Sid - you have reale meesed up with Civ3!

Oh - and here is mine question from another thread:

HI!

I have created many mod's in Civ3. I added many units and so on....
But in PtW i cannot do this!? Damn! I love this game , I was so happy to have PtW - and then when I tried to add some new units to this game (PtW).... nothing happened....
PLEASE HELP ME - how to do this...........

Oh and one more thing. As you know after some patch for Civ3 - it is impossible to make any changes during gameplay. It is horrible so I cant even try for example new paratroopers, or correct any abilities (ADM).... it sucks!
Is there any idea how to make as it was in Civ3 wihtout patch (I think this limitation was in the second patch)....

PLEASE HELP ME - I am a MOD-creator but since the patch - my hands are tighten

P.S Sorry for gramatical - I am from POLAND

I added several new units using the guide provided, but when I start civIII, none of the menus to start a new game are there. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how do I fix it?

I want to know if downloading patch 1.29f is imporatnt or not for adding new units. does this have anything to do with the version of the game itself. I have version 1.07f of the game. Will the patch 1.29f work for me? PLz let me know at san769@yahoo.com

Thanks
san

I really hate to ask this, but I'm going to. I've tried to add units according to the various posts on this forum, but for some reason, it's not working for me. I must be doing everything wrong. Could someone please send me directions that a 2nd grader could understand? I have PTW with the latest patch. I need directions telling where exactly everything should be saved to make the units work, help with the editor, anything. If anyone has step by step instructions, please send them to me at kjk73@msn.com. I'd appreciate any help. Sorry to be a pain. :(

Hi,
Can anyone help me. I have done everything you have said to do but it still doesnt work. I put all my units on a scenerio and it now wont me load up the scenerio or any other game or new game. It just wont let me do anything. Can someone help me, please.Thanks.

When people say they did something but it still didn't work, they should really be more specific about what they did. In fact, step-by-step would be nice. The more information you give us, the more help we'll be able to give. Examples of stuff we definitely need to know:

*whether it's 'vanilla' civ or PTW
*what patch you are using
*whether you added the unit with the Add button in the editor, Gramphos's Unit Creation Wizard, or Gramphos's Copy Tool (those last 2 in his Multi-Tool utility)
*what you typed in the Civilopedia Entry box in CivEdit under the unit entry
*what you typed in civilopedia.txt (if anything) and pediaicons.txt
*what the game name, and unit folder name, is
*if PTW, what you typed in the Search Scenario Folders box (under Scenario Properties)

I don't have any trouble at all getting new units in civ3PTW, but I can't figure out how to edit .pcx files for the icons. Does anyone have any helpful hints/suggestions on adding icons to the file?

Hi!
In PTW you are able to use the add button in the editor to create new units? When I use the add button, no matter what unit I copy, it always reverts to settler and even pressing the control button does not change the AI available which is always EXPLORE. All the other options are grayed out. I was successful in creating units in Civ 3 using the multitool but I am really stumped now. So when you create a unit you are able to choose many options on the units AI? Appreciate any comments you might have!

the icon that shows a settler is just a build icon, not the actual unit. If implemented right, the actually unit will show up as it should, even if in the build queue it looks like something else.

Or you can download the .pcx file with all the units you'll ever need and use the right icon.

Like "96 PA", I'm clueless as to how to add all this stuff, in what files, etc. I see about 100 different posts on this and that, but not sure if it's all compatable. Whatever you sent him, please send me...

I'm trying to make a PTW scenario with some new stuff, with the latest patch. I want to add the modern infantry, for instance, so I can see the icon in the editor and modify the stats, etc. Please send me an email with instructions "a 2nd grader could understand". heh jjk@mailcircuit.com

I think this thread will only contain questions and not unswers :(

btw, my question doesn't need to be answered as I figured it out on my own.

It's not hard. Some people are just lazy.

"Edit: Never mind. In the Editor, you have to specify the tag that you are using in the PediaIcons file, ie. it won't know automatically that ICON_PRTO_blah refers to the unit called blah. "

i GET the same error as you all. Missing entry in text/pediaicons.txt ANIMNAME_SCUD_LAUNCHER...

I have everything double checked, the ciliopdia entry is correct, i have a new unit 32 with the scud, and peida icons points to both the large and small pcx...

SOME ONE THROW A DOG A BONE!

Originally posted by jminternelia
"Edit: Never mind. In the Editor, you have to specify the tag that you are using in the PediaIcons file, ie. it won't know automatically that ICON_PRTO_blah refers to the unit called blah. "

i GET the same error as you all. Missing entry in text/pediaicons.txt ANIMNAME_SCUD_LAUNCHER...

I have everything double checked, the ciliopdia entry is correct, i have a new unit 32 with the scud, and peida icons points to both the large and small pcx...

SOME ONE THROW A DOG A BONE!

I assume you are making a scud launcher unit, and, furthermore, since you are getting an ANIMNAME error that you are using PTW. Make sure the "Civilopedia Entry" key in the editor for that unit is something like "PRTO_SCUD_LAUNCHER" and that the pediaicons line then corresponds, such as "ANIMNAME_PRTO_SCUD_LAUNCHER". Note that this is in the unit animation section near the end of pediaicons.txt and is different from the ICON_PRTO_SCUD_LAUNCHER entries for the large and small civilopedia pcx files.

uhh, you better have an art/units folder if you want to play the game ;) "Art/Units" refers to subfolders of the civ3 install folder where all the standard unit animations are stored.

If, for example, you installed the game to "C:\Program Files\Civilization III\" then the folder we are referring to is "C:\Program Files\Civilization III\Art\Units\" for the original CIV3 units or "C:\Program Files\Civilization III\CIV3PTW\Art\Units\" for the units that came with PTW.

Originally posted by WredBeyrde
I don't have any trouble at all getting new units in civ3PTW, but I can't figure out how to edit .pcx files for the icons. Does anyone have any helpful hints/suggestions on adding icons to the file?

Hi, I use photoshop for these things... Making civpedia icons etc. Just open one of them up, image mode RGB, then do the changes - change back to indexed color and save it as a pcx file again. This work for me at least, allthough I sometimes have to do it agian, some pink colors ruining that picture...

Top Bottom