Can not host a LAN Game

neorowen

The Newest of the Rowens
I've been doign some searching and it appears a number of people can not host or join a MP game any longer. C3C just goes to the MP setup screen and hangs, you need to manually kill it's process.

Nice rant, but it doesn't follow the instructions for writing a bug report. What is your system setup that fails? What are the differences with people who are able to host an MP game? Do you have a firewall?

I'm sorry, since everyone seems to not be able to connect all the different people who are having tahe same issue...

I have Xp, I am using a firewall (I have tried disabling it), and whenever I go to the MP setup screen (world size, race, etc...) the whole program hangs. It just sits there and you have to use task manager to kill it. Everyone on the LAN is having the problem.

Since we only want to host a LAN game firewalls are not an issue. Neither is port blocking by my provider since you can host a LAN game with out an internet connection.

No one here can host any type of game. It's like the feature has been disabled. I would also like to note that it worked last week, it worked perfectly and nothing at all has changed.

Here's someone else with the same problem: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70065

Can you be more specific on this? i.e., what systems are you using? What network settings? (Is there a hardware firewall?). Since it worked last week, was there anything different? Check for things like viruses or worms, sometimes those can have an effect. What steps do you take to reproduce when it hangs (I'm assuming that's what it's doing)?

im having the same prob with lan and internet games, i have xp as well and have turned off my firewall but still no joy.

Originally posted by Chieftess
Can you be more specific on this? i.e., what systems are you using? What network settings? (Is there a hardware firewall?). Since it worked last week, was there anything different? Check for things like viruses or worms, sometimes those can have an effect. What steps do you take to reproduce when it hangs (I'm assuming that's what it's doing)?

XP on them all. hardware firewall, but it is disabled. No viruses on any of them.

I simple start a host MP session. That is all is takes.

If you have a hardware firewall and want to host a LAN game just with your friends on the local network behind the firewall, then the firewall isn't the issue.

Originally posted by Mercade
If you have a hardware firewall and want to host a LAN game just with your friends on the local network behind the firewall, then the firewall isn't the issue.

Exactly my point. It's not a hardware problem.

Originally posted by neorowen

Exactly my point. It's not a hardware problem.

I have even tried a complete uninstall. It just doesn't work...

Any ideas anywhere? ... please

Originally posted by Mercade

The manual disagrees with you on this issue - Neorowen (et al) have you tried opening the ports on your hardware firewall, as suggested on page 48 of the manual?

Okay, here's the dirty details.
Win 98, latest C3 and PTW patches, no viruses, no firewall issues.
I do not have C3C.
Played hotseat game with family last week, no problems.
This week, it crashes. Sometimes in game. Sometimes in after a few turns. Sometimes before you can even reach the first turn. It's very frustrating, especially since it has taken me about , oh, around *seven years* to persuade my wife to play a Civ game with me. And now this. It doesn't exactly help my attempt to include my family in my hobby.:scan: :scan: :cry: :mad:

Originally posted by Maccabee
Okay, here's the dirty details.
Win 98, latest C3 and PTW patches, no viruses, no firewall issues.
I do not have C3C.

If you don't have C3C, maybe you'll be better off posting in the Technical Help forums. This is after all a forum exclusively for C3C. :)

I just started having this problem recently, I think it may be a directX thing. I haven't really been tracking what I've installed lately that well, but C3C with patch 1.22 works fine for me, but hangs when trying to multiplayer. I had the same problem with the previous two patches. Have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Running WinXPSP1, on local LAN. No software firewall or port blocking. Previously worked fine.

The reason I think it may be DirectX... have tried reinstalling DirectX and started getting weird errors. There's no newer version of DX yet than what I've got, and I'm reluctant to mess with uninstalling it. I started having the problem after some multimedia software installs... possibly Roxio's EasyMedia Creator....

thoughts?

--mj
arkiver

I've recently run into what seems to be the exact same problem. Two other friends and myself decieded that we wanted to play a multiplayer game over conquests. My version of the game 1.20 worked fine as far as being able to edit options in the host screen. However my two friend each had the probel with the hanging, they both had version 1.22. Thinking it was a version problem they both did a compleate uninstall and reinstall. One friend tried it at version 1.0 the and 1.20 the other just at 1.20 with the same results, whenever they tried hosting or joining a game, it froze and crashed the game. no error message no warning. We all run Win XP but i run home, and my friends run professional and media center edtion. I doubt its Direct X because we all have version 9.0b. Firewalls were turned off, but mine worked with and without it.

I had the same problem so I tried hosting a game totally disconnected from the internet and it worked.

Interesting, what do you mean by totally disconected from the internet? We tried Internet and LAN options, did you mean hotseat or play by e-mail or did you try something different?

I think Demigod must mean completely cutting off internet access, and then hosting the lan game. :)

How were you connected to each other Myko? Over a hub? A switch or a router?

Well, one reason I think it may be directX on mine, is that I tried reinstalling 9.0b over top of itself and now get a weird error, it doesn't complete. Also, found a couple threads on google's newsgroup search about multiplayer games and issues with DirectX. Since the multiplayer runs through directX, it seemed a logical choice for possible issue.

--mj
arkiver

Well I've been to the atari support forums so I will see where that leads... two things i think may be relavent, or not who knows. First we were connecting over my colleges network, we're all on the same subnet so that shouldn't be a problem. Second one of my friends, who also happens to be my roommate has played a multiplayer game with me via conquests. That was on his old computer, his new one is the one giving the error.

Top Bottom