New Unit: Huscarl

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
nice unit, but hes gone all christian on us :p
:lol:

Great unit! I love it!

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
nice unit, but hes gone all christian on us :p

Well, there's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I made the shield like that because the original request was for and Anglish/Danish huscarl. The shield pattern was chosed because it is similar to the flags of England and Denmark . . . I think.

Originally posted by utahjazz7
Well, there's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I made the shield like that because the original request was for and Anglish/Danish huscarl. The shield pattern was chosed because it is similar to the flags of England and Denmark . . . I think.
Of course there's nothing wrong with that!!! :D

And yes, the shield pattern is indeed similar to the flags of both England and Denmark...

I think the pattern is only similar to english and danish flags. But it actually is finnish flag (at least with the blue default civ-specific colour :lol: )

BTW, nice-to-know background info:
- The danish flag (white cross on red background) is the oldest flag still in use. I think it dates from 1300th century (or close to that period)

A lot of european flags has a cross in it, they all look almost the same. Though the Norwegian one is the most beautiful... But it has no name? Like Union Jack etc

Danebrog (isn't it called that?) What does that exactly mean? OT: speaking of flags, doesn't Finland use a swastika on the presidents/parlament flag or something, I believe I have read that somewhere, or where that just during WW2? And even more OT: you're to do list........ What about fictious ships for the Zulu aswell? Don't ask me what they will look like though, have no clue.

Originally posted by Risbinroch
A lot of european flags has a cross in it, they all look almost the same. Though the Norwegian one is the most beautiful... But it has no name? Like Union Jack etc.

I don't know about the specific nickname of the Norwegian flag, but the upright cross found so commonly upon European flags is, in English, called the St. George's cross; the "X" type (as found in the flag(s) of Scotland) is called the St. Andrew's Cross.

-Oz

Originally posted by aaglo
I think the pattern is only similar to english and danish flags. But it actually is finnish flag (at least with the blue default civ-specific colour :lol: )

Yeah, I didn't think about that when I was making the unit. After I saw the first couple posts of people liking the unit and noticing that the posts were from Finland, I remembered the Finnish flag. So, I guess it's a win-win situation: I made the Anglo/Danish huscarl that was requested and a possible UU for Finland. ;)

Can't believe I missed this unit. It's very nice.

Danebrog (isn't it called that?) What does that exactly mean?
Afaik its just a name, but it might have meant something in the old days.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danebrog (isn't it called that?) What does that exactly mean?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My trusty old encyklopedia assures me that it's a composition of borrowed words from frisian and low german, meaning "redcoloured piece of cloth".

Originally posted by aaglo

BTW, nice-to-know background info:
- The danish flag (white cross on red background) is the oldest flag still in use. I think it dates from 1300th century (or close to that period)

The 1300th century? That's still some time off ...

It's probably from the 13th century, and often connected to the reign of King Valdemar Sejr and his crusades against the Estonians.

However, it appears it's only attested with certainty from the late 14th century, which it means that it's possibly younger than the (pretty similar) English flag, as well as the Austrian one.

Yeah, the nut-cases who went to fight the Estonians claimed that Dannebrog fell from the sky during the battle (June 15th 1219). Suspiciously enough it sounds like something out of the bible, and it is widely believed that the flag was a gift from Pope Honorius. “Good work killing all those heathens, here’s a pretty flag in return”

It is true that brog means clothes. It was a common term at the time.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist

The 1300th century? That's still some time off ...

It's probably from the 13th century, and often connected to the reign of King Valdemar Sejr and his crusades against the Estonians.

However, it appears it's only attested with certainty from the late 14th century, which it means that it's possibly younger than the (pretty similar) English flag, as well as the Austrian one.

I seem to remember from history that the symbol, but not the flag, was used by Danish invaders in Sweden in the early 13th century. The Swedish flag is a direct copy of it but with different colors.

Originally posted by Wolfhart
My trusty old encyklopedia assures me that it's a composition of borrowed words from frisian and low german, meaning "redcoloured piece of cloth". [/B]

I think the word brog derives from brocade, but don't know what this is based on :) .

Top Bottom