Improving the "Server is down" message

Five minutes ago, I just felt a lot less secure about this site being around for another decade. :lol:

Question: If something were to happen to Thunderfall and he was rendered incapable of running the website, could it be "salvaged"?

For example, if he had some sort of accident or a disease, could CFC keep on running on the long run without an admin?
There are three other admins besides Thunderfall. Mind you, I don't know if the others have all the accesses that Thunderfall has. I suppose it comes down to who pays the bills to keep this place running.

There are? Who?

Oh cool, thanks!

Question: If something were to happen to Thunderfall and he was rendered incapable of running the website, could it be "salvaged"?

For example, if he had some sort of accident or a disease, could CFC keep on running on the long run without an admin?

In the long run, someone has to pay the bills to rent the server space. If TF stops doing that, the first we'd probably find out about it was when the server owner shut CFC down.

In the long run, someone has to pay the bills to rent the server space. If TF stops doing that, the first we'd probably find out about it was when the server owner shut CFC down.

Things won't get to that, will they?

There's just so much content in here, it can't just go down because the admin is unavailable.

So in other words you're saying we're too big to fail... that's rather ominous.
I think his point is that it would be unfortunate if the roughly 30,000 files on this site suddenly disappeared. Nothing about a bailout or anything like that. :lol:

That's why you should make backups, screenshots, or downloads of whatever you consider important.

That's why you should make backups, screenshots, or downloads of whatever you consider important.
True, but even after you catalog everything on the site that you think is important, you will still be missing something that's important, whether it be by mistake of missing it, or by hardware malfunction. (Trust me, it's happened to me twice, and twice I have groaned because I lost something of great value to me.)

That reminds me of the question I got asked in a computer programming job interview once:

"What is the most important thing computer programming has taught you?"

I changed my mind halfway through the answer to "make regular backups" ;)

That reminds me of the question I got asked in a computer programming job interview once:

Yeah, I do that, and I have a whole section of downloads that I keep, but unfortunately, it isn't invincible. (At least, that's what the 100 file disappearance taught me. :cry:)

But I'll end it here. This goes off topic and the Staff is probably putting the scopes on there sniper rifles. Or at least digging through their drawers looking for that lock. :p

Yeah, I do that, and I have a whole section of downloads that I keep, but unfortunately, it isn't invincible. (At least, that's what the 100 file disappearance taught me. :cry:)

But I'll end it here. This goes off topic and the Staff is probably putting the scopes on there sniper rifles. Or at least digging through their drawers looking for that lock. :p

Why are you so paranoid of the moderation on this website?

Regular, redundant backups. I read somewhere a rule of thumb is to have it on 3 different mediums.

I think his point is that it would be unfortunate if the roughly 30,000 files on this site suddenly disappeared. Nothing about a bailout or anything like that. :lol:

It happened before when the website got hacked.. CFC lost tons and tons of stuff...

Why are you so paranoid of the moderation on this website?

Because they're like, out to get you, man! They have this massive, like, conspiracy to control everyone with computer brain waves and spy-robots hidden in modpacks! But, like, no effect on me, because I have this tinfoil hat and it reflects the brain waves and stuff.

Top Bottom