some details written on 24th of Ferbr.

There is nothing stated that indicates culture is gone.

And I also don't think it's strictly "one hex at a time." I think it was just a matter of wording and awkward translations. What I imagine the case will be is that your cities will still generate culture, and you'll still spread it out evenly from your city, just some terrains will take longer to bring into your control than others. And when you expand your borders, it isn't all surrounding tiles at once, but when each hex is ready to be expanded to. And you can use money to individually help a hex along.

At least, that's how I imagine it working.

It seems like we'll have a system where you invest money to develop your hexes, ergo no need for workers. Another indication is this choose one hex at a time system. No point in the worker system then, because the worker will not add anything more to strategical choice but you choosing the same hex to develop one more time. Really unecessary....

Maybe they adopt the civ 4 colonization model that improvement requires a worker and money to invest on the tile. That way you can develop multiple tiles per turn. Otherwise 1 tile improvement per turn is very slow (or fast on marathron speed).

About one unit per tile and city garrison, I believe I read somewhere that cities can function as "immoble ranged" units.

All the ideas sounds very interesting. We need this change, as Civ 4 can already be modded so much.

On many Civ maps a hex would be 50 to 300 miles across.
It makes little sense to have archers firing over an intervening hex to the next hex.

It seems that somehow the tactical scale in meters is being confused with the strategic scale in kilometers.

I seem to be missing something.
Maybe we will have to wait to see the real game.

Many thanks for the translations!

This is the first bit of news I've had some reservations about.

I think it's really neat to have some units like archers and artillery attack from a distance, I hope they're not going overboard and giving every non-melee unit a ranged bombard. For one, it makes sense for archers and artillery to fire over friendly units, but not musketeers, for example. The basic mechanic where units fight by running into each other just works so well.

And I have some experience with this: with Civ 3 I toyed around with a mod where all non-melee units could bombard from a distance. It was . . . not very fun.

But I am perfectly open to being convinced otherwise.

It seems that somehow the tactical scale in meters is being confused with the strategic scale in kilometers.

It's not "being confused" as if it's some kind of mistake. It's basically realism being sacrificed for gameplay. Is it any more realistic for a unit to take a dozen Civilization scale turns to reach enemy lines?

Funny how all of the people saying this overlook the countless other blatant instances of realism violations. There are at least a hundred things in *any* Civilization game that are even less realistic than this.

This all sounds good to me. Can't wait for this fall. I hope they don't pull a Blizzard and keep moving it back....

I am sure there will be some means to handle this, maybe with a generic slider to invest money into hex-claiming or sg.

I hope the devs know what they are doing ;)

I would also assume that one you conquer a hex, you hold it, barring some major shift in the situation, like a war. They won't let enemy units just wonder around in your territory.

The only change I am iffy about is stacking... I think there should be some stacking allowed, but it should start out very small (like two units) and grow with technological development (engineering, medicine, combustion) that could improve health and logistics... but would never allow the "mega stacks" of Civ IV. An acceptable limit after all techs have been researched would be 6-8

The only change I am iffy about is stacking... I think there should be some stacking allowed, but it should start out very small (like two units) and grow with technological development (engineering, medicine, combustion) that could improve health and logistics... but would never allow the "mega stacks" of Civ IV. An acceptable limit after all techs have been researched would be 6-8

I agree, except I would cap the total number of units lower, at 2-3 for infantry, and 1-2 for calvary/tanks/whatever fits in this category (this of course means no increase of stack numbers with tech advancements). Any higher and all you've done is make it so the stacks of doom cover 3+ tiles instead of 1. A lower cap keeps tactics in play and also means that you have to think critically about what you put into each stacks.

um, about the ranged units attacking one hex away:

I HOPE that archers will not be able to shoot across/through/over mountain hex...

(to me even hills or forests are an exaggaration in this regard, too, but what the hell...)

um, about the ranged units attacking one hex away:

I HOPE that archers will not be able to shoot across/through/over mountain hex...

(to me even hills or forests are an exaggaration in this regard, too, but what the hell...)

It seems likely that mountains will provide blocking of ranged attacks in the same way they block movement and line of sight. Hell, even line of sight blocking on its own would probably be enough to prevent you from attacking units on the other side since you won't know where they are!

This would make them very useful defensive features - which sounds like exactly what the developers want to do with the terrain.

i doubt rivers will ever be navigable in civ. If you want navigable rivers, make coast 1 hex wide or so.

It is true that bridges is a strategical part of a battle but often a bridge is only good for the defending team (well of cause the bridge is good for the attacking team, they wouldnt be able to cross the river otherwise, what I mean is that the defending team gains a "bonus" for defending a bridge compared to flatland) and that is reflected in civ 4 with penalty for crossing river. Sure it could affect more but I would be very supprised if that was the case in civ V.

might be cool for no workers but instead improvements are passively built slowly, but you could allocate funds to a city to build it faster

All that sounds like very good news, and quite intriguing. About one tile range rather than two thats a big "whew."

I think that screenshot of arrows over the pond might have been leg pulling, or maybe just a test. Everything they sound like they want to accomplish can be done with a one tile range, except for archers shooting over the heads of spearmen. To do that you would need some kind of stacks (a limit of two would be enough to have some sort of combined arms effects such as archers and spears, pikes and matchlocks, tanks with infantry support) and a way to define which one is in front defensively and offensively.

As for objections to every ranged unit having a bombard, you could still have it, but have relative strengths, so that infantry CAN shoot long range, but is better at "closing" while tanks are stronger with the big gun.

There is nothing stated that indicates culture is gone.

And I also don't think it's strictly "one hex at a time." I think it was just a matter of wording and awkward translations. What I imagine the case will be is that your cities will still generate culture, and you'll still spread it out evenly from your city, just some terrains will take longer to bring into your control than others. And when you expand your borders, it isn't all surrounding tiles at once, but when each hex is ready to be expanded to. And you can use money to individually help a hex along.

At least, that's how I imagine it working.

I hope your right.....I hope your right,..........

Top Bottom