crashes during scrolling & diplomacy on large+ maps

Azalnubizar

Chieftain
When playing on Huge maps it happens regularily that the game crashes during map scrolling or diplomacy. It happens most often when the oceans are being explored and more players are encountered...

The problem is much less on large maps and even less on smaller maps.
The crash itself: the game hangs with an error message in the background wich I cannot access. Sometimes I manage to get back to desktop, but sometimes I just have to reboot... no more info on the type of error...

my system specs are:

Processor: Intel 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
RAM: 3.5 GB
Video: GeForce GTX 260 896 MB

I assume it has to do with my grafik card since that's where it hangs the most...
I am running on DirectX9.
Anyone ideas?

I just managed to access an error message. It looks like it is a memory access problem... doesn't help any, I believe.
Nobody experiencing similar problems? Crashes during diplomacy screen?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    56.4 KB · Views: 56
well, nobody seems to experience similar problems - or at least no one replies...

...but anyway - since the post shows at least some reads I will continue to post my experiences:

I updated to the latest NVidia drivers without any visible changes.
I played with some changes in the config.ini... and there I encountered something interesting: Apperently the crash from the diplomacy screen (which I encountered on regular intervalls when playing on large or larger maps) is somehow connected with the "Full Screen" mode. I am playing on window-mode on a huge map for quite a while now, without encountering any problems during diplomacy screen!
This is quite annoying (not the "not-problems" but the fact that full screen isn't working) because I am used to move on the map by moving the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. This isn't working in window mode.

Anyway - as I found out the hard way - the problem with large+ maps isn't fixed by this. Now it's back to crashing during fast movement over the map (like jumping from one active unit to another or moving to a city where I need to choose a new production. It even crashed once while entering the city-mode.) It doesn't crash with an error-message anymore (like it used to during full-screen) but it just freezes and doesn't react anymore (sound continues to play).

Anyone encountering similar problems out there?

Or - has anyone ideas how to find out what the actual problem is? Is there some kind of logging which can be activated (I found some undocumented config.ini entries but they didn't help)? I already checked CPU-usage, Memory-usage, CPU and Grafikcard temperature... any more ideas?
It looks like a grafik card problem... since it just freezes...

About the latest Firaxis patch... since nobody seems to report anything good about it and people only continue to complain I didn't update and am not planning to until the next patch...

I did not include a Savegame, since my latest test game is using the Shiggs-earth-mod and I currently do not have a huge-map-game on standard. Once I grow tired of reloading my Shiggs-game every other turn I will start another huge-map-standard-game and upload once it starts crashing, so u could try if it crashes on your machines as well

any comment will be appreciated.

since I found another thread that describes the same problem (and no solution) I will close this thread in favor for the other one (found in bug reports): link to other post

I would say to run the file verifier in steam. I was crashing a lot too until i did that and it found a corrupted file. It deleted it, re-downloaded it and so far I've been crash free.

if you don't know how to find the verifier it found by... library right click civ V in your list, go to properties, local files, validate integrity of game cache. Many steam games can be corrupted since you d/l the whole thing, it's a nice little checker that usually fixes any problems i have with my games.

Hi Beef Hammer,

I did the file verifying, updated to the latest NVidia drivers (260.99) and updated to the latest Civ V version (1.0.0.621).
The Game will still freeze when moving around on a huge map (also happens on large maps but less often). It happens mostly when jumping from one unit to another. It makes this game unplayable on maps larger than standard.
Also I am not the only one with this problem... as can be seen on the above link to the bug report.

It looks like this is a seperate problem from the diplomacy-crash in full-screen mode. This seems to be a separate issue... anybody xperiencing crashes (because of memory access issues) during diplomacy when running full-screen?

Az

Sounds like your system simply can't handle the size of the maps, try playing on standard or even small. My system will barely lag on standard maps, I don't even try lager maps. We have similar systems, i got an e6600 duo core, only 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb 8800gt playing at all low settings cept leader scenes and water which i put at medium and i think I'm pushing my system as far as Civ V goes on it.

Also just noticed ur on XP, i am too, but ur gonna WANT to get sp3.

:sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper:
go to:
1. my documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/config.ini
2.change leader_head=0 to leader_head=1
3.engoy

Top Bottom