Custom Play Level?

Should We Create A Custom Play Level?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyc

Looking for the door...
Should we create a Custom Play level? Should we make the AI a little more agressive on the opening choices? Should we change some of the rules in the .BIC file? Or should we keep everything on an even, normal keel. Your options are very basic. Yes or no. Yes can mean changing 1 or some options, or as many as are discussed in the thread started by a majority of YESes. A NO means no changes at all. These options do NOT pertain to Scenarios or variations of that nature.

1. YES
2. NO

Discussion thread is HERE

Where's abstain? :dubious:

I'm not sure what we can even change so how am I to make an informed vote here? Guess I'll have to go read the discussion thread. :(

EDIT: Darn, doesn't seem to be the right link. Guess I'll have to flip a coin.

Where's abstain? :dubious:

I'm not sure what we can even change so how am I to make an informed vote here? Guess I'll have to go read the discussion thread. :(

EDIT: Darn, doesn't seem to be the right link. Guess I'll have to flip a coin.

Yes, it is the right link. The shortcut only takes you to the page. The entire thread can be seen by clicking on the thread link in the top right-hand corner of the page that appears.

I've been leaving "abstain" and "other" out of these World Option polls. I didn't want to confuse you. :lol: j/k

Well, you :confused: me anyway. If I vote 'no' then that means we don't tweak anything in the civ rules part of the game. I'm not sure if I want anything changed there or not. Did we really discuss what options we had in that thread? This is not about self imposed game constraints, is it?

Correct. This poll is not about the game constraints we have been discussing, such as "Maya Mia" or "Sibling/MortalEnemy". It is getting difficult to appropriately poll these issues because of lack of time. Rush, rush. We used to take longer to prepare.

This poll is about in-game .bic changes. The software part of the game. Something like this was mentioned by Nobody, in regards to a more gressive AI when playing at lower levels.

I'm not sure if we have the time to discuss these matters further, but the option is there. We can change some of the .bic rules the way we want. I just thought I'd put this out there. Sorry for the confusion, I guess this might be a bad poll. Shall we scrap it.

The other change that was mentioned (somewhat in passing) was changing the Statue of Zeus to require horses instead of ivory. This would open up a wonder to shoot for if we don't get ivory, and give the AI's a chance at it if we do.

I also like to reduce the overall corruption rate. To me it's more fun that way. To others maybe not. :)

If the poll resulted in a yes vote, then maybe it's a sign that we're going too fast.

See, I agree with those changes, DaveShack. We just seem to be running out of time for the end of month elections. Should we postone them?

Well, it seems to me I want to vote yes because these changes all sound good. The trouble I see with a yes vote here is that we then have to figure out (discuss and poll) exactly what changes we want.

I voted 'Yes', but I think we need polls on each thing we want to change. Time consuming, yes, but they could end the same time as this poll.

We've discussed:
  • making volcanoes passable
  • adjusting the AI aggression
  • tweaking corruption
  • Statue of Zeus requirements

We haven't talked about (and maybe we don't want to talk about):
  • earlier Map Trading
  • being able to build cities on marshes
  • locked alliances (Lil Sibling/Mortal Enemy)
  • proportional naval movement

This is the third poll I've voted in where I'm the only one who chose a choice! And I'm not even trying to!

Ok, I'll play inquisitive idiot! What is proportional naval movement? I probably know this one, but I need to ask.

Ok, I'll play inquisitive idiot! What is proportional naval movement? I probably know this one, but I need to ask.
This is a feature in the SGOTMs. Instead of all boat movement costing 1MP per tile, the costs are different based on water type. Coastal tiles cost 3MP to enter, sea tiles cost 2MP and the ocean tiles cost just 1MP. The movement allowance per boat is also increased (basicly doubled). Curraghs now have 4MP, I think, as their base.

Proportional naval movement: coast, sea and ocean tiles require a different number of movement points to go through them so in effect ships move slowly around the coast but can move quickly through open ocean.

I think I overlooked the discussion thread on this, I was going to vote no, but I do like differential naval movement and some of the other options look good too. There's also the noaipatrol issue to fix the barbs that we should think about.

Thank you both. I have played with this rule change before and liked it. It adds realism to naval movement. I'd vote for it.

Creating a BIQ (conquests is with a Q right? :hmm: ) is only a couple of hours time for all the suggested changes, so there are still days left to decide which ones. I'll vote yes. :)

How long would it take exactly to create a custom play level? And how would we play it in-game? Would it just be like a mod?

Not long if you know what yer doing, civplayah. Kind of like a mod in the sense that we would modify some basic rules of the game. Like we could modify the in-game rule for the length of a Golden Age. Making it 25 years instead of 20 years. Simple rule changes like that.

I voted 'Yes', but I think we need polls on each thing we want to change. Time consuming, yes, but they could end the same time as this poll.

We've discussed:
  • making volcanoes passable

Personally, I don't like volcanos. AIs tend to plop their capitals right next to it. 3950BC - "The Chinese have been destroyed! :)". I would rather make a map in the Civ3 PTW editor, then in the C3C editor, load the PTW map. Granted, we'd need someone to create the map for us. Since it would technically be a scenario, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Either that, or make a map in the Conquests editor and manually remove the volcanoes, since they aren't that common. If we are going to reduce corruption, it'll need tweaking anyway.

But if we don't have any volcanoes then we can't sacrifice any virgin slaves. Now wheres the fun in that?

Top Bottom